Spitfire Symphonic Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by GingerMaestro, May 8, 2019.

1. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I'm not trying to take a dig at you here, but literally 0 orchestration chops will change the sound of something recorded in a church vs a scoring stage. Sure you could record a film score in a church - but it doesn't sound iconically like a film score(i.e. cinematic)

can you make great music with SSS? ofcourse! Andy Blaney could make great music with a sampled toaster... You could run something recorded on a scoring stage through a church IR much easier than you can EQ the church sound out of the samples.

I know we like to say warm and fuzzy things about composing, but the reality is that the samples are recorded with a certain sound because of the players, the signal chain, and the acoustic space they were sampled in. No amount of composing chops will take SSS out of the space it was recorded in, and the problems that it causes. You've been around for a very long time, and I know you know better. At the end of the day - if the OP(and you ofcourse) like the tone of SSS, that's fine... but no choice of notes will make the library magically be recorded in a different studio.

I appreciate the amount of articulations, but the sound is something you have to build your template around, and isn't very flexible

Marlon Brown likes this.
  2. bryanmckay

bryanmckay Member

Aug 29, 2018
    There have been quite a few iconic cinematic Hollywood scores recorded in the hall at AIR Studios though.

3. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    SSS is my favourite string library. The sound is just so wonderful, I always tend to use it as my first stop for symphonic strings. I find it isn't hard to get other non Spitfire stuff to blend with it. The shorts are a bit limiting compared to say CSS, but if you have some of the Albions, you can use them to get around that.

Like mentioned above, I tend to revert to the performance legato latches for anything a little faster or detailed, and leave the longs for more sweeping swells or support type lines.

Often I double SSS with CSS. A wonderful combination that works really well to create legato lines, although it takes a bit of effort to line things up with the CSS legato.

4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    That is absolute rubbish. Major budget trailers get recorded in churches -- I've done some. Also, as someone pointed out above, Air studios (along with Ocean Way in Nashville) are both former churches, now deconsecrated, in which people record movie music all the time. Hans Zimmer, being one.

Putting a sign on a space that says, "recording for film here" doesn't make it "cinematic" as such. John Williams recorded "Memoirs of a Geisha" and other film scores at Royc concert hall at UCLA, because of the sound of that room.

brenneisen likes this.
  5. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    church vs scoring stage
    church vs scoring stage
    church vs scoring stage
    church vs scoring stage

if you would actually read anything I wrote, you'd know that I've never claimed that you couldn't score a film in a church, or that its a low budget thing, or anything. What I have claimed(and very unbelievably unarguably) is that a church does not sound like a scoring stage. I expressed exactly what I(and probably most people) associate with a cinematic sound, and simply that you will not get that sound with something recorded in a church without really gutting it with EQ.

I've never suggested anything that isn't true(and the only opinion I've stated was that I consider a cinematic sound based on example)

You on the other hand have made the claim that it's composing chops to get a sound, rather than using samples recorded in the way the sound was made in the first place. Which is absolute dogshit advice to give anyone, regardless of your experience. I'm not going to argue against points I've never made, so either read what I've said(and not what you imagine I've said) or don't expect me to respond.

6. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016

Looking for the Jake Jackson expansion pack for SSS at the Spitfire web site but could not find it.
    I'm wanting to buy this if it's still available. Thanks!

7. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don’t think it’s supposed to be available again until SF releases SSO Pro.

8. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Always learning

Oct 19, 2015
    Yes ... as I’d mentioned, Spitfire discontinued the SSO expansion packs sometime last year. The assumption has been that they plan to bring them back eventually as “Professional” versions, just as they did with SCS, but thus far it hasn’t happened.

9. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016
    Got it. Thanks for the responses!

10. TintoL

TintoL Active Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Toronto
    I was just trying to find the same expansion packs because I didn't have the outriggers in both woodwinds and brass. It's a shame that doesn't exist there. Thanks WindcryMusic for mentioning it.

11. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Weakening plan to grab WL _ SSO CS Edition :unsure:
    Wonder if SSS Pro will be offered as Crossgrade /Upgrade from CS Edition ?

Last edited: May 11, 2019