What's new

SPITFIRE - Symphonic Expansion Pack Firesale This Week Only!

For those of you who have purchased the expansions I'd be interested to hear your impressions of how useful they are compared to not having them.

I have SSS SSW and SSB on two ssd .s
With a sprinkling of other libarys..
I would have to move core libarys to new ssd's but i read somewhere on spitfire site dragging or copying from disc to disc can cause probs (dont know how to spell anomilies)....

I got the Brass expansion, and Chamber Strings Pro, but not sure how necessary it is to have it for the WW. They are kind of just in the centre anyway, doesn't need much outriggers. Or does the extra mics and mixes make a great difference for the WW as well?

Question: can the expansion packs be installed on a different hard drive than the core SSS/SSB/SSW libraries, or do they have to be installed together? (I do have an internal SSD that I don't use for front-line libraries, where I could potentially put these expansions, but only if they don't have to live with the core libraries which are on the external SSDs.)

On Windows, I would suggest to play with the "mklink" command. You can use it to create a "symbolic link". Google it!

I use it to spread my libraries around my many HDs.

For example I do:

mklink /j "F:\Audio VI\Spitfire Symphonic Brass" "G:\Audio VI\Spitfire Symphonic Brass"

to create a link on my SSD F of a folder located on G.
I do this to "virtually" have ALL my (real and "symbolic") libraries on my SSD "F:". If one day I will move a library from G: to H: (just to make an example), I will update the symbolic link and Kontakt will stay happy as previously.

At the moment I have used it to link entire libraries folders, but I suspect that you could successfully use it for sub-folders too because the OS masks the HW device to Kontakt.

Hope this helps.

Silvano

I got the Brass expansion, and Chamber Strings Pro, but not sure how necessary it is to have it for the WW. They are kind of just in the centre anyway, doesn't need much outriggers. Or does the extra mics and mixes make a great difference for the WW as well?

Would LOVE to get any impressions from you on the expansion for the Brass. For me, the brass is the main library I'm interested in as far as the expansions go. Mainly interested in the close ribbons and outriggers.

Though, looking at the website for the expansion, I'm a bit confused if ALL the articulations have ALL the extra mics. Some articulations are listed as (CTAO) which I read as "Close, Tree, Ambient, Outrigger", some are listed as "Alt" (I'm not sure what that means), and I don't see any that are specifically listed for the close ribbon for example..., unless THAT is considered part of the 'alt' patches.

So to sum up the question, does the brass expansion give you the 3 stereo mixes, outriggers, close ribbon, close stereo pair, and gallery for every single articulation for every single instrument?
Also, if you want to say mix the outriggers with the close ribbon..., can you do that in a single patch, or does that require you to load two different patches.
Also, do we get these new patches as SINGLE ARTICULATION patches, or do these extra mics only exist in the full "Keyswitched" patches.

I totally understand there not being a dedicated walk-thru for this sale..., but just an image of the interface to confirm how the patches and mics are organized would be extremely helpful.

Would LOVE to get any impressions from you on the expansion for the Brass. For me, the brass is the main library I'm interested in as far as the expansions go. Mainly interested in the close ribbons and outriggers.

Though, looking at the website for the expansion, I'm a bit confused if ALL the articulations have ALL the extra mics. Some articulations are listed as (CTAO) which I read as "Close, Tree, Ambient, Outrigger", some are listed as "Alt" (I'm not sure what that means), and I don't see any that are specifically listed for the close ribbon for example..., unless THAT is considered part of the 'alt' patches.

So to sum up the question, does the brass expansion give you the 3 stereo mixes, outriggers, close ribbon, close stereo pair, and gallery for every single articulation for every single instrument?
Also, if you want to say mix the outriggers with the close ribbon..., can you do that in a single patch, or does that require you to load two different patches.
Also, do we get these new patches as SINGLE ARTICULATION patches, or do these extra mics only exist in the full "Keyswitched" patches.

I totally understand there not being a dedicated walk-thru for this sale..., but just an image of the interface to confirm how the patches and mics are organized would be extremely helpful.

I haven't got the brass expansion yet, but this is how it works in the Chamber Strings library.

There's a new folder called CTAO. It's the same as the standard CTA, but the outrigger is added as a fourth mic.

The other additional mics - close ribbon, stereo pair and gallery - are in their own folder and have their own nki. The layout is exactly the same - you got your .nki with the standard articulations, the one with the legatos, the extended articulations etc. - but instead of CTAO, it's Cr - ST - G.

So, if you wanted to, let's say, use the outriggers with close ribbon, you'd have to load two patches.

You do get all the articulations for all the alternative mics and the mixes. They are available as multi-articulation .nkis as well as individual articulation patches.

You basically get everything 3x - as CTAO, CR-ST-G and Stereo Mix versions.

Yes, it's a mess. I really hope they consolidate this in the upcoming "professional" makeover, whatever that might be.

Last edited:

No, ribbons, gallery, stereo mixes etc are extra patches which have to be loaded seperately. Only Outrigger is part of one patch with close, Tree, Ambient.

Absolutely. I personally use Outriggers on Woodwinds and then narrow the stereo image slightly, they still get more 'distance' than the decca which I prefer.

Absolutely. I personally use Outriggers on Woodwinds and then narrow the stereo image slightly, they still get more 'distance' than the decca which I prefer.
I imagine having access to the stereo mix versions might be useful as well, both for people who want the input of a professional engineer and for those who would like to reduce the RAM footprint of the woodwinds.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
Or does the extra mics and mixes make a great difference for the WW as well?
@kimarnesen , my primary reasons for getting the WW expansion are the jake jackson mixes. you get three "flavors" (tight, medium, and ambient), and i don't know about you, but i trust jake jackson a bit more than myself to balance out and process SF libs. also, the RAM hit for jj stereo mix is significantly lower than loading up multiple mics (which you'd have to do get a good balance anyway...)

i see it as a time and resource-saver, and it will likely sound much better than what i could achieve on my own.*

*[edit: it is and it does]

Last edited:
I haven't got the brass expansion yet, but this is how it works in the Chamber Strings library.

There's a new folder called CTAO. It's the same as the standard CTA, but the outrigger is added as a fourth mic.

The other additional mics - close ribbon, stereo pair and gallery - are in their own folder and have their own nki. The layout is exactly the same - you got your .nki with the standard articulations, the one with the legatos, the extended articulations etc. - but instead of CTAO, it's Cr - ST - G.

So, if you wanted to, let's say, use the outriggers with close ribbon, you'd have to load two patches.

You do get all the articulations for all the alternative mics and the mixes. They are available as multi-articulation .nkis as well as individual articulation patches.

You basically get everything 3x - as CTAO, CR-ST-G and Stereo Mix versions.

Yes, it's a mess. I really hope they consolidate this in the upcoming "professional" makeover, whatever that might be.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight!

Just gotta chime in. This is such a great deal!! Instant purchase. We’ll be grandfathered in too, when SA upgrades the library to PRO. Awesome. This made my week, too cool!

Thank God I don't have enough disk space. Spitfire have enough of my money...

OK,.... when talking about 'upgrading to pro' next year..., I'm assuming we can use the recent SCS Pro library as a reference as to how these will be organized. And..., as far as I can tell, SCS Pro has ZERO difference to SCS standard + Mic Expansion. So..., it's not like there was a new 'pro' interface, or any new ways to combine different mics....., is that correct?

Well, I might be a mile off here, but whats the chances that it might be the both libraries combined in the Spitfire player so all the mic's and mixes are available in the one preset.

A bit like the way the mic's are handled in Hans Zimmer Strings.

Bought... will download later or....wait till we get clarifications on possible GUI changes...

Based on what Spitfire did to HZ Percussion, I hope and expect an updated integrated GUI will bring all of these mics, mixes and potential combinations into a new, unified system... the new GUI for Hans's drums is spectacular and way more efficient and effective than the original was and I imagine it took a lot of work to create... Thus, the "later this year" or whatever the words were... assume lots off coffee and libations are being consumed in this endevour! (I can dream, can't I?):rolleyes:

Last edited:

I really wish I could answer all your questions, but I actually need to buy a new SSD hard drive before I install this. But I don't mind because this one has been on my wishlist, and to have the outriggers on the brass is quite crucial I would say. Other than that I don't know more than what it says on their website. I would expect though that it's all single articulations but with more mics and mixes.

I really wish I could answer all your questions, but I actually need to buy a new SSD hard drive before I install this. But I don't mind because this one has been on my wishlist, and to have the outriggers on the brass is quite crucial I would say. Other than that I don't know more than what it says on their website. I would expect though that it's all single articulations but with more mics and mixes.

Yup, I'm at the I need another SSD place if I get this too. And it'll probably be a couple months before that happens.

Top Bottom