What's new

Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Coming Soon

Looks good :)
Did I imagine it, or did I see or hear something that said that if you own the Studio Strings and Studio Brass Pro, then you'd get Woodwinds Studio Pro for free ?

Just added the core version to my basket, looks like I saw myself a whopping total of 23p (I own Studio Strings Core & Studio Brass Pro)

upload_2019-2-14_16-53-21.png

After people start using this, I'd be interested to hear how it blends sonically with the Cinematic Studio Series. I'm only considering the Core version, so I realize having only one mic could be a limitation. Would have been nice to at least have a close and far.

It's probably going to be a long time before CSW comes out. You never know, but I doubt it will be here before 2020.
Looks like you and I are waiting for the exact same thing!
Once I start hearing reviews I'll make my decision, and it'll be an expensive one:
CSS
CSB
CSP
...and a woodwind library.

Just added the core version to my basket, looks like I saw myself a whopping total of 23p (I own Studio Strings Core & Studio Brass Pro)

Yeah, and if you own the pro versions and want to complete the Collection , the saving is just over £3.

Not to sound greedy and I know Studio Woodwinds is on promotion at the moment, but I was expecting the saving to be more if you own the other two in the collection

It is only saving me $4.95, and I own the pro versions of BOTH!

That said $295.02 is a great deal for the library. I wonder why an owner of a 'Core' library would get a deeper discount than a 'Pro' owner?

It is only saving me $4.95, and I own the pro versions of BOTH!

One of Christians videos last month did hint that owners of the strings and brass libraries in the Studio collection would be looked after when it comes to completing the collection but it’s all a bit disappointing

Last edited:
Mmmhhh. Indeed it looks a bit odd at about only €2 i save if i complete my bundle of Studio Orchestra Core (and i have also the strings pro version). So the message was a bit misleading for me to get a "special" price if you own already the brass and strings.

Perhaps the price for the bundles will remain as is after the initial promotion for the single product ends? It would then represent a much bigger saving.

I like their woodwinds actually the most, they have a nice chocolatey sound and they are captured in a more musical way than they did with their brass / strings imo.
I think the Studio Brass sounds good—though it may not be to everyone's taste—and most important from my standpoint, the pro version appears to be an excellent complement (as opposed to alternative) to the SF Symphonic Brass. For me, the Studio Strings seem good for the price, especially at the Core level for someone just getting started, but the Pro version does not offer much of a complement if you already own SCS and SSS. There are other string libraries available that offer more in terms of complementing SCS and SSS. The Studio Woodwinds Pro does sound good and offers some articulations not available in SSW, but it doesn't seem to be as much a complement to SSW as Studio Brass Pro does SSB. For the Studio Woodwinds it comes down to whether other woodwind libraries offer a better complement for the price.

That said, as a whole, $479 for the Core series, is a pretty good price for a starter set. (My one reservation: the decision to put the alto flute in the Core instead of the English horn keeps me from being able to recommend it unequivocally.)

Perhaps the price for the bundles will remain as is after the initial promotion for the single product ends? It would then represent a much bigger saving.
Yes, it looks like the bundle pricing is a bit more aggressive than usual for SF but that there isn't introductory pricing on the bundle. If I'm doing the math right, it seems likely to me that the price point of the bundle shifted downward after CH made his big pitch during the wishlist sale, resulting in smaller differentials for those who are completing the bundle versus those who are just now buying the bundle.

Ah I'm in a bit of a bind - woodwinds are the only major group I don't have a quality library for. I realize this may be a bit of a personal gripe, but the decision to give Core users a single tree mic option seems unnecessarily restrictive. I don't mind forgoing some articulations, less frequently used instruments, and even some mics and the special mic mixes. But give me one close mic to use, please. Even a little extra frustrating that the gulf in price between Core and Pro is so wide. I mean $150 for Core is actually a good deal I think. But to have to spend double for Pro seems like a lot less of a good deal. Sorry, this sounds whinier than I'd like, just having a tough time deciding if it's really worth the extra money.

Ah I'm in a bit of a bind - woodwinds are the only major group I don't have a quality library for. I realize this may be a bit of a personal gripe, but the decision to give Core users a single tree mic option seems unnecessarily restrictive. I don't mind forgoing some articulations, less frequently used instruments, and even some mics and the special mic mixes. But give me one close mic to use, please. Even a little extra frustrating that the gulf in price between Core and Pro is so wide. I mean $150 for Core is actually a good deal I think. But to have to spend double for Pro seems like a lot less of a good deal. Sorry, this sounds whinier than I'd like, just having a tough time deciding if it's really worth the extra money.

Not whiney, I hear what you're saying. Almost feels like you should just get half the mic options and half the articulations in core, save alternate mic options and some of the more decorative techniques for pro.

That being said, I feel like most of the time I like a Tree on woodwinds anyways, but a close option would be nice.

I must be honest I go the other way. I don't mind the single tree so much as I mind the missing instruments - particularly the woodwinds - contrabassoon, bass clarinet and above all the cor anglais. After all they are standard orchestral instruments (the bass flute would have been a "nice to have". It's particularly galling when Mr Henson (who I have great respect for and whose vlogs and demos I love) sings the praises of the euphonium (missing from core brass) in his contextual demo for the Studio series. Just a tad disappointed. I would be happy to pay for the additional instruments.

I must be honest I go the other way. I don't mind the single tree so much as I mind the missing instruments - particularly the woodwinds - contrabassoon, bass clarinet and above all the cor anglais. After all they are standard orchestral instruments (the bass flute would have been a "nice to have". It's particularly galling when Mr Henson (who I have great respect for and whose vlogs and demos I love) sings the praises of the euphonium (missing from core brass) in his contextual demo for the Studio series. Just a tad disappointed. I would be happy to pay for the additional instruments.
I think it makes sense to put the euphonium in the pro. It even makes some sense to me to not include the contrabassoon and bass clarinet if the library needs to be kept to a certain size for price point. But including the alto flute in place of the cor anglais. That's the mark of a marketing department intentionally damaging a collection in the hopes of pushing folks to buy the more expensive collection, and it is not a good look.

Top Bottom