What's new

Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Coming Soon

I'm using Studio (core) Strings and Brass with BHCT. I think they are the perfect match to get smaller groups and soloists.
I'm on the fence about Pro. The Studio libraries work very well in the Core config, but when I A/B them against BHCT I can hear the usefulness of the extra mics.
The percs in BHCT are actually pretty good for standard orchestral sounds.
Yes, I'm gonna buy the Woodwinds.

I'm using Studio (core) Strings and Brass with BHCT. I think they are the perfect match to get smaller groups and soloists.
I'm on the fence about Pro. The Studio libraries work very well in the Core config, but when I A/B them against BHCT I can hear the usefulness of the extra mics.

Also BHCT and ready for SF _ Studio Orchestra Bundle. Have LADD and NI_ Symphony Essentials Perc.
Feeling some push to grab VSTbuzz _ Impact Soundworks Drums & Percussion Bundle @ $112. and /or 8DIO EPIC Percussion Ensemble Bundle @ $98.

Does this seem clear 'overkill' ??

Not necessarily. I have Damage and a couple of "New Epic ....Ensembles" as well as a variety of other noisy stuff.
Just depends on where your music is taking you. I often look at the same things everyone else does and think "Do I need it?"
My buying habits vary with my musical interests.
What does your little inner voice say?

@ wilifordmusic …. did quick review and if anything … 8DIO EPIC Perc.
Already have Frame Drum and Solo Taiko. Epic Toms and Dhol Ensemble are reasonable to fill out perc for longer term (at $38. each).

Gravity has eluded me for far too long. Maybe at next promo ….. :cautious: THX!

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get the Core woodwinds, and then later in the year upgrade everything to Pro. The BHCT percussion is more than enough for my purposes; I'm not that big on percussion to begin with.

Like you said, BHCT shows how vital some of the extra microphones are, especially the outriggers. I also like being able to dial in some of the first chair strings with the second close mic.

I totally get where people are coming from who think the Studio series has a much more tame, neutral sound than other stuff from Spitfire, and their colleagues. Sure, it's awesome to be able to play one note and have it sound like a nuanced performance in itself, but I kind of like what the vibe of these samples does for my work ethic (such as it is). It's just the honest sound of musicians playing notes. I sit down with them, and they tell me that I'd better do something interesting with them, because there's nowhere to hide.

I still would love a core version with a mic of choice since i mainly want the close mics and the samples as dry as a bone if possible.
Since i already own the Strings Core (and pro) and Brass Core i will for sure upgrade to the bundle.
I wonder if there is then a path to upgrade to the pro bundle for the 2 missing parts then maybe.
Since it also ends with the same price to buy the core and then upgrade to the pro i have a light and a big version for the same price at the end. Nice.
(at least it worked this way with the Studio Strings).

Flutes sound wonderful. I'm undecided about the oboes though. From listening to the demos, can anyone with more virtual oboe experience than me give an opinion about how they sound compared to other popular libraries?

I'm a former oboist, so I may be more harsh regarding the oboe, but I'm not convinced at all by its sounds from both walkthroughs. And the flutes seem perfect to me indeed.

I’m looking forward to having a full Spitfire Studio orchestra, but I’m also bummed that there’s not a percussion library planned. The BHCT set could work for many things. For a full set I’ll probably end up using the NI Symphonic Percussion or Impact Soundworks Percussion with this. But I’m still hoping that there is a new percussion library in the works that will be considered an “option” rather than part of the bundle.

It's still possible, Spitfire's old percussion library wasn't really part of the Symphonic range either & especially if Studio turns out a success it would be a good thing for SF to consider even outside the bundle.

I'm a former oboist, so I may be more harsh regarding the oboe, but I'm not convinced at all by its sounds from both walkthroughs. And the flutes seem perfect to me indeed.
Does it sound like a French or Italian Oboe? I'm pretty picky about the double reeds. I wasn't crazy about the Bassoon either. Maybe it's just a question of the individual instruments choosen and personal taste.

What's your favorite Oboe vi?

Man..I'm already having enough difficulty waiting for Cinematic studio woodwinds..

This isn't helping..

The thing I really like about SA stuff is Time Machine patches, would love other developers to do that.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for all those other woodwinds releases, or to say it more accurately, for some game-changers.

Is the main difference here between this and Berlin Woodwinds the room sound (or lack of room sound)? BWW used to be the "top tier" for woodwind samples a couple of years ago.

I have Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds! I like this studio version but I think "Do I need it?
There are some new articulations. I'm hoping the contextual videos and demos will illustrate playing styles a bit more so I can get a better sense of difference between the libraries in terms of the soloists.

What's your favorite Oboe vi?

As a former Oboe player, my favourite for exposed lyrical parts is the Oboe from BWW Expansion B. The VSL French Oboe is really nice as well, but is more restrained. Spitfire's Symphonic Woodwinds has my favourite Cor Anglais (the cor in BWW Expansion B is really good as well).

This piece by Ben Botkin shows off both the Cor Anglais and the Oboe from BWW Expansion B really well:

Last edited:
Top Bottom