Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Zoot_Rollo, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Philip Vasta

Philip Vasta New Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Disagreeing without an argument? You must be new to the internet

2. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    $4 off? Seriously? I say this with some trepidation as I am very very very very, very glad that Christian has returned to participating here. Plus who am I kidding, I'll be buying it.

It sounds to me like the marketing dept run amok. Having worked in marketing for much too much of my adult life, I'm all too familiar with the tin ear many in that world have to things that will piss off loyal customers. I can imagine Christian and Paul's faces at being told what the discount will be and then having the unfathomable, fractal based psychology explained to them, the two of them grumbling back to their daws shaking their heads. Or, the marketing dept. deciding not to tell them.

dflood, rhye, jonesdip and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    £409 for the studio core edition. That puts it squarely into temptation territory. I can do a lot with those instruments. Having spoken to support, an upgrade to pro later is simply the price difference.

I feel the differences between core and pro are fair enough. I'm not too fussed about the mic options at this point and the articulations appear to consistent between versions.

Time to start a two week self-justification process..

cqd likes this.
  4. neugens

neugens New Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I had this discussion today with help desk. If you own studio string pro and brass pro, and you paid full price for them, your collection will cost you more than if you didn’t buy anything and just got all of them today (around 1200 euros instead of 950, give or take). It’s disappointing but not the first time they do this.

5. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    they have to use SOMETHING as an incentive to buy the pro edition. It’s not unreasonable to use extra mics and a few instruments as that incentive.
    Just remember the amount of content you’re getting for $150!!

boxheadboy50 likes this.
  6. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Ah and I thought they might do a pro bundle.

Makes sense they'd want to squeeze the profits out of them... If I'd already purchased the strings and brass (didn't) it would be a no brainer. But I opted for the cinematic series path with CSB and will just have to wait for CWW.

7. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    They do have a pro bundle. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-studio-orchestra-professional/

Brian Nowak likes this.
  8. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
  9. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    How does the math work here? $499 for strings, $399 for brass. Doesn't woodwinds then cost $61 to complete the bundle? That's how these things usually work.

10. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Hmm seems if I were to get the pro bundle I’d save myself about 50% (£800ish on promo - in cart comes up at £400ish) the core bundle the 23p. Which makes sense as I would just be being the Woodwinds core library at promo price.

11. neugens

neugens New Member

Apr 13, 2017
    In euros, with Vat included, my price for bundle is 295 (4 euros saved), I have string and brass (I’m talking about all pro version here). If you sum all up you get 499 + 399 + 295 = 1193, so it’s above discount price of 959. If you got them with some promotion you can level out a bit, but otherwise Spitfire is very happy at you. They mentioned to me that collection work that way, you only save when buying the full bundle otherwise the savings is marginal, I don’t know since that was my first collection, and I’ll probably just wait for Black Friday or something.

jbuhler likes this.
  12. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Interestnig, so it looks like they assign each library a value in the proportion strings (5), brass (4), winds (4), and the cost of each library to complete the bundle is that divided by 13. 959*4/13=295 and change.

Interesting. And even more incentive either to buy libraries on sale or buy the whole bundle at once.

neugens likes this.
  13. paulwr

paulwr New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I own only the studio strings pro. To check, signed in on the site, and added the pro bundle to the cart. Price dropped to about $575 or a little more. Under $600

14. josephspirits

josephspirits Active Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I downloaded in Spitfire App, installed through Native Access, went to play and... none of the samples downloaded in the folder. Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to do the whole download over again?

15. Philip Vasta

Philip Vasta New Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Oh don't get me wrong, I agree it's overall a decent deal, I'm just disagreeing a bit with where they drew the line between Core and Pro. For now, I bought Core to see how workable it is for me, then I'll upgrade to Pro if I need to. We'll see - I'm excited to finally have some quality woodwinds to use!

16. josephspirits

josephspirits Active Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Well 3 hours later, 2 complete downloads, and 4 Spitfire download manager crashes later and I still can't get into the library. Bummer.

17. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    You might be waiting a while...

18. enyawg

enyawg Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Sir, what would you use for a semi-blunt HB pencil brass library... hard & bold?

19. jonesdip

jonesdip New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    I confess to being a little conflicted here. I had made up my mind to complete my SA Studio core set with the WW (in spite of my disappointment at the lack of cor anglais and bass WW in core) and I was looking forward to doing this and hopefully with a bonus discount for the collection which I thought (wrongly?) had been hinted at. But then I note that in the EW Valentines Day sale I could upgrade my Silver Hollywood Brass and WW to Gold for $91 (around £70) each which would give me all the Brass and WW instruments. Diamond would give me all the additional mics for approx. $130 each (£100) each. What was a simple decision is now not so simple. I hear good things in this forum about the HW Brass. Any comments about the WW. Apologies if this is a little off point.

20. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Not sure what you mean by bonus discount? If you purchased the Studio Series as they were introduced, they were already discounted pretty reasonably. $479 for 3 libraries (granted a bit limited, but usable), is pretty good...less than $160 each.

And to answer your last question, the HW Winds are the worst of the bunch. Their brass is good...but not the winds.