Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Zoot_Rollo, Feb 8, 2019.

1. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Here's a little tune, the solo flute and clarinet are from SStW (the core version, so only the main tree mic):

Well this is just friggin' pretty! I really should invest in CineWinds, too...

2. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I feel really dumb. Could you tell me what is a snes rpg, please?

FWIW, I think the video sounds excellent.

3. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I'm wondering if the flute could have used a little bit of compression but nice! Did you use the onboard reverb (if any at all) on the individual instruments?

4. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks! Yeah, the flute is kind of all over the place dynamically. Drawing better CCs probably would've helped a bit too!
    If memory serves me right (I'm not on my studio computer at the moment), I think I just used ChromaVerb within Logic. The Studio Woodwinds library really comes to life with reverb. However, I don't like the sound of the one that's included with the library.

5. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    The poster is likening the sound to something produced by a 90's videos game console. Which I guess is an insult or compliment depending on your perspective! ;)

Parsifal666 likes this.
  6. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Actually, not too bad. Btw, what's that solo violin? What library is that ?

7. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    magicbox cost me like 7$ and it's pretty awesome.

that said - its like absolute perfect pitch combined with the unnatural closeness and lifeless performance. Something just sounds like sampling from the mid 90s here, and not in a nostalgia inducing way.

maybe I was too harsh, and it's closer to n64

Henu and Parsifal666 like this.
  8. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Hokay, I think I know this one! Nintendo 64, right? (I feel like Cap in the first Avengers movie lol!)

I must have really bad ears, because I honestly thought that video was a very good (if unintentional) ad for the library.

9. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I’ve thought about picking up the core version as second chairs to use with SSW and have different players on the parts when writing for woodwinds in pairs. I can’t say that I like the sound of the library for solo work but from the examples I've heard the library does seem to blend reasonably well.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you!
    It's actually the free violin from Performance Samples! It's niche, but in the right context it's amazing.
    https://performancesamples.com/soloviolinlegato/

11. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I'm actually more interested in SSW now that you mentioned the blending. If SSW has a similar tone/sheen (were they each recorded in the same hall/room? Forgive me if this is a dumb question) I might have to pick them both up Wish List day.

jbuhler likes this.
  12. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Nice. Thank you! More please if you have them...

13. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    They were not recorded in the same room. They were both recorded at AIR Studios, but SSW (and the rest of the "symphonic" series, chamber, and solo strings) was recorded in Lyndhurst Hall, while SStW (and the rest of the "studio" series) was recorded in Studio 1.

skythemusic, Parsifal666 and jbuhler like this.
  14. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    No, SSW was recorded in the big Air hall; SStW, like all of the Studio series, was recorded in Air Studio One. So SStW is a much drier sound and would need to be worked to get it to sit with the stuff recorded in the big hall. Mixing other stuff Spitfire has recorded in Studio One with the libraries recorded in the big hall hasn't proved much of a problem to me, so I don't foresee an issue, but you never know for sure until you have to do it—at least I never know for sure until I have to do it.

There is to my ears an evenness of sound to SStW library that I think would make them work well as second chairs.

Apostate likes this.
  15. Apostate

Apostate Member

Feb 7, 2018
    I've found SStWW works great with other dry libraries like the Hein and EWH. I just slap Spaces II ib the bus and work from there. Try it out, you might find yourself delighted with both the solo and ensemble wws!

jbuhler likes this.
  16. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    To me, SStWW sounds amazing one minute, dull and flat the next.
    So my takeaway - once again - is that the sound all depends on who's in the driving seat. I guess props to Spitfire for creating such a pliable library.

Parsifal666, Apostate and jbuhler like this.
  17. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    How does having only the T1 mic in the core version affect mixes? Do you miss the close mic perspective?

18. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Since I don't have the other mic options, I'm only going off of other demos I've heard, but...
    In my opinion, if you're just using this library in an orchestral setting, where you intend on having the winds placed in the back of the orchestra, the core version is fine.
    The other mics would come in handy for solo things, where you want to place the player in front of the orchestra, or in some chamber ensemble settings, etc. But for what I need, the main tree mic is enough.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  19. Apostate

Apostate Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Sounds like the Professional SStWW is going to be staying on my Wish List...SALE COMING!

Parsifal666 likes this.
  20. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018

if you plan on using this in an orchestral setting - why wouldn't you just buy SSW for pete's sake? The one actually recorded for orchestral stuff. The woodwinds are easily some of the best tones(despite poor legato) and the symphonic winds using sustain patches with no legato will probably sound better than any combination of reverb + SStww