Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Zoot_Rollo, Feb 8, 2019.

1. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    You're making this decision pretty tough y'know ;)
    Are you using the Pro version? If anything, I would only get Core at the moment. Would that still hold up as a go-to?

2. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I only got core as well. Missing the EH, but I thought it was a good deal for the price :) didn't get any other Spitfire Studio library.

My woodwinds folder is tiny compared to strings and brass, it was pretty much just Hollywood Winds and then a few freebies and cheap libraries. I would probably have got Adventure Woodwinds, Cinematic Studio Woodwinds or Hyperion Winds if those had come out before Spitfire. Overall, when you look at the competition available rightnow, e.g. Berlin Revive, Spitfire Symphonic Winds, or older libraries like VSL, I'm happy with these, and'm also curious what @re-peat is using that he likes.

Karma and chillbot like this.
  3. MisteR

MisteR Active Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Love it! ... I can hear the camera movement.

rhye likes this.
  4. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Paul's video here gives some good examples of the Studio Woodwinds in action. I think it's much more informative than his walkthrough.

JF, ism, muziksculp and 1 other person like this.
  5. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    I’m literally watching this as I type! He’s using the Pro version with some extra mics, but I think I’m getting a much better idea of how these really sound. Will report back once I finish it :thumbsup:

jbuhler likes this.
  6. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Damn. That video really did do a better job of showcasing the library than his own walkthrough. He played idiomatically (for once) and shows how one would actually use it in a practical context, and with reverb. I think it would do Spitfire a lot of good to do something like this for the rest of the studio lineup. I’m guessing that’s already in the works.

I’m probably gonna buy it now, based off of that video alone.

...and Noam’s opinions, of course :whistling:

mikefrommontreal and jbuhler like this.
  7. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Easily confused here …. :barefoot:
    What is this saying /inferring about CORE vs PRO ?
    Ready to purchase SF _ SSt Orchestra CORE, but PRO is not possible … and now less than 24 hours for Intro pricing. HELP ! :unsure:

8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don't think you need pro for the basic sound. Paul shows how the variety of mics is useful for positioning the sound, giving it width, depth, and detail in context, but the basic sound is in the tree mic. What you could hear well in this video was the legato was fine when played reasonably idiomatically. He also gave a much better run through of some of the shorts, especially differences in velocity. Core looks like a solid buy at this price. Pro looks really flexible with the additional mics if you need that sometime in the future.

sostenuto and boxheadboy50 like this.
  9. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don't know. This was released on Paul's channel, after he did that weird video a couple of days ago on his favorite patches and idiosyncratic multis as added content for the Studio Orchestra. That makes me think that Paul was doing what he said here, simply illustrating how to write and not write for samples. He was using the Studio Woodwinds no doubt because he thought it might help promote them, but I really doubt that illustrating them was his principal aim, even though this video was like 1000% better on that count than the official walkthrough.

boxheadboy50 likes this.
  10. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    I absolutely agree. I don’t quite have the budget (and maybe not the need) for Pro either. But Paul shows off the main tree mic alone here quite a bit and it sounds pretty good!!

11. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    You’re probably right, his aim is, like you said, to illustrate how not to write with samples, and how to make them sound good in a space. I inferred that he’s planning more of these based off this one just being woodwinds (so it’d make sense to release videos for brass, strings, etc.). I imagine, however, he’ll show off both ranges of libraries in each subsequent video (symphonic and studio) like he did here. Or...at least I hope he will.

jbuhler likes this.
  12. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I agree. I have very much liked his videos doing this kind of thing. Have you looked at the one he did for Junkyard Sortie, which also features the Studio Woodwinds (since it was his demo)? (His midi doesn't always sound so good in that one, if you want to give yourself doubts again. The whole mix for that sounds somewhat askew to my ear.)

He did a similar video for Ravine Chase, which was his demo for the Studio Brass, but also used a beta version of the woodwinds (I recall the woodwinds sounding good in that one).

Parsifal666 likes this.
  13. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Ha!

Yeah, I’ve watched all his videos. Ravine Chase was great, but I agree the whole mix of Junkyard Sortie is goofed somehow, and you’re right that I can’t stand the woodwinds there!!

However, watching his process is super informational and inspiring. But I’ll avoid re-watching the Junkyard Sortie one ;)

jbuhler likes this.
  14. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Welp...
    I bought the Core version.
    Hoping to have some fun with it this weekend!

Meetyhtan likes this.
  15. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Owners of Studio Woodwinds, could you post some demos/ examples?

Meetyhtan likes this.
  16. Meetyhtan

Meetyhtan Noise Maker

Do you have a similiar recommendation for Piccolo?

17. rottoy

rottoy Plebeian

May 12, 2013
    I don't have a standalone piccolo library, unfortunately. Currently using the one in Cinewinds Core and I'm loving it. The softest dynamic of Cinewinds Core is something the demos never really showcase and it's too bad, because it's by far the best part of the library.
    This is the close mic, using the 'articulations' patch. Sustain to trigger legato and one keyswitch to trigger the trills. External reverb is ValhallaRoom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  18. Meetyhtan

Meetyhtan Noise Maker

That's actually the one I had in mind whatsoever. Thanks, the demo is great!

rottoy likes this.
  19. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Wow, I never saw this video before. The mix does sound a bit odd to my ears.

Still happy with my Hein woodwinds, though videos like this are kind of swaying me to give the SStWW a try. Simple, but effective...and I really like the glassy sound.

smallberries and jbuhler like this.
  20. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    this sounds like an snes rpg to me. Already got magicbox for that.

swam woodwinds are a better bet imo

VgsA likes this.