What's new

Spitfire: Studio Symphony Pro Vs Symphonic Orchestra

rockdoctor42

I’m looking to take advantage of the sale going on at Spitfire this week and I’m wondering if it’s really worth the extra $500 to get the Symphony Orchestra over the Studio Orchestra Pro, especially since it doesn’t look like it’s a direct upgrade. Anyone have experience with both these libraries?

They're actually two different product lines with different sound aesthetics and different areas of application. The symphonic range, obviously, is made for a wide, ambient, symphonic and cinematic sound. The studio stuff is for more intimate, close and dry sounding music - less blockbuster, more TV drama, indie, pop, etc. The one can't truly replicate what the other does.

They're actually two different product lines with different sound aesthetics and different areas of application. The symphonic range, obviously, is made for a wide, ambient, symphonic and cinematic sound. The studio stuff is for more intimate, close and dry sounding music - less blockbuster, more TV drama, indie, pop, etc. The one can't truly replicate what the other does.
So, which one would you go for if, like me, you were a symphonic composer and nerdy progressive metal guitarist.

No one can decide for you. The big difference, one is drier than the other and different size ensembles. Watch walk-throughs, listen to demos and make a decision.

Spitfire Symph Orch would probably do it. But I'd recommend Berlin Woodwinds/Revive before that.

If you're into metal, I hope you already have Ark 1 (or at least Iceni).

Take it from a metal dude, you don't want the Symphonic Orchestra for that. It's way too reverby and wide. Ark 1 is good, but I'd suggest also EWQL stuff and Cinematic Studio series. They blend WAY better on metal.
Thanks for the advice. Curious though, how do you feel about the Studio Symphony?

I haven't tried it myself, but what I've heard, I think you'd do well with that one if you are know how to mix your own reverbs into it! Just keep it short (yet big) and it's all dimmuborgirs and then some.

I took advantage of the sale and bought Studio Pro. Now my collection includes both Symphonic & Studio Pro...

As some of the members here have said, each has their own purpose/uses. And the Spitfire comparison page does highlight some helpful differences between the libraries too.

I would recommend getting both in the long run...but you can take the 'mix-safe' approach by snagging the studio pro first!

Just keep it short (yet big) and it's all dimmuborgirs and then some.

Ugh, I'd prefer Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk any millisecond of the day (replace the synths).

I don't like glam black metal (no offense).

Last edited:
There are hardly not many things more annoying than referring to the lowest common denominator....only to give an impression to someone knowing his shit of me not knowing mine. :grin: Also, Anthems 10/10. 11/10 WITH the synths!

There are hardly not many things more annoying than referring to the lowest common denominator....only to give an impression to someone knowing his shit of me not knowing mine. :grin: Also, Anthems 10/10. 11/10 WITH the synths!
I was joshin', I fucking worship the first ep and two studio albums by Emperor. Huge fan also of Bathory, Darkthrone, really early Burzum.

You, sir, just earned a ton of scenepoints from a guy wearing a Transilvanian Hunger- hoodie while writing. :P

To derail this a bit more- if you love Nightside, you may want to check out the new Vargrav- album which just got released last week. Let's just say that there possibly was a certain album used as a reference in the production. ;)

You, sir, just earned a ton of scenepoints from a guy wearing a Transilvanian Hunger- hoodie while writing. :P

To derail this a bit more- if you love Nightside, you may want to check out the new Vargrav- album which just got released last week. Let's just say that there possibly was a certain album used as a reference in the production. ;)
Oh yeah! I still miss the days of early Scandinavian black metal though. I mean all the church burnings and things happened when I was in my twenties. It was all so thrilling back then.

Last edited:
I was about 15 back then and heavily into the music and scene (and also for the church burnings but don't tell anyone as we're supposed to be professional composers and over 40 year old adults now :grin: ) - now 25 years and three kids later I still wear (balding) long hair, use pretty much only black denim or leather and still do that music myself either playing or producing it while not doing so-called "professional" music, haha! Tigers, stripes and so on. But now I feel bad because we've derailed the thread so badly. I'll blame the OP for mentioning metal!!!!!

There’s no substitute for spending some hours of listening to walkthroughs and demos while paying attention to legato, playability, level of detail or whatever’s most important to you. Also, check out existing threads about these libraries
- there are loads of posts about these libraries here.

I took advantage of the sale and bought Studio Pro. Now my collection includes both Symphonic & Studio Pro...

As some of the members here have said, each has their own purpose/uses. And the Spitfire comparison page does highlight some helpful differences between the libraries too.

I would recommend getting both in the long run...but you can take the 'mix-safe' approach by snagging the studio pro first!
Curious if you have any other insights not mentioned in the spitfire FAQ page (specifically looking at strings).

Have a great one!

Top Bottom