What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

Opinion has been quite divided on the Studio Woodwinds library.

The extended individual articulations on the solo horns (horns up, stopped, etc.) are quite nice, and the four horn legato and sustain is much better imho than either of the solo versions. But yes overall the horns are a disappointment. The euphonium is also excellent (but only available in the pro version).

I do have the strings (core) they are pretty good. It's the only Spitfire product I own. But I probably wont be continuing my orchestral libraries with their products. The Studio series is nicely priced, but seems to be a bit messy with the scripting and issues you mentioned. Symphonic, Chamber libraries do sound quite nice, but they are also out of my preferred budget. I might use the Studio Strings every now and then, will see.

I do have the strings (core) they are pretty good. It's the only Spitfire product I own. But I probably wont be continuing my orchestral libraries with their products. The Studio series is nicely priced, but seems to be a bit messy with the scripting and issues you mentioned. Symphonic, Chamber libraries do sound quite nice, but they are also out of my preferred budget. I might use the Studio Strings every now and then, will see.
I have a lot of SF products and find the wet libraries recorded in the big hall at Air generally suit my sensibilities. But there are lots of great libraries out there, and many are indeed available at lower cost.

I understand this. For the price, the EWHO sections are a much better deal, especially when you can get them for 60% off. Even the normal 50% is good. I would probably buy them over the Studio stuff. But I still prefer the SSO, which I finally picked up for 30% off the bundle (ended up at more than 40% off each section). The sound is great. And it is easier to use for me than EWHO. And it took me a few years of saving to get it.

I understand this. For the price, the EWHO sections are a much better deal, especially when you can get them for 60% off. Even the normal 50% is good. I would probably buy them over the Studio stuff. But I still prefer the SSO, which I finally picked up for 30% off the bundle (ended up at more than 40% off each section). The sound is great. And it is easier to use for me than EWHO. And it took me a few years of saving to get it.

Eastwest is great no doubt. I do much prefer working with Kontakt over PLAY though. And the EW libraries are pretty unintuitive, for me at least, and resource heavy (I have a pretty meh PC now, and not much RAM).

Eastwest is great no doubt. I do much prefer working with Kontakt over PLAY though. And the EW libraries are pretty unintuitive, for me at least, and resource heavy (I have a pretty meh PC now, and not much RAM).
If you are looking for non-resource heavy stuff, I would go with VSL Special Editions or whatever is replacing it. Though I think you can still get the bundles. Very light on the resources, very dry, and easy to use. But, not a lot of round robins if I remember correctly. I bought them for use on my laptop. I can load up a template with them without running out of RAM - though I do have 16 GB RAM on my laptop.

As much as I appreciate the Studio series, I have to agree that the solo horns leave something to be desired. I'm very picky about horns though.

I don't have the woodwinds but do have the strings. I've been pleasantly surprised by the strings. Picked them up only because they were part of a big discount package when SF did their May wishlist sale but have found them a good addition to my string libraries. I have a similar issue in matching shorts and longs (which I mostly dealt with by going into Kontakt and modifying the keyboard response curve on the shorts).

Also, curious to know how you find the shorts to be in Studio Strings. I am using this library nowadays as a main string library but I feel the spiccatos can be a bit inconsistent sounding or have some round robins that seem to be noticeably louder. But maybe that's just me, but I feel something is off about the spiccatos. Havent tried the brushed ones and others that much yet.

Yeah, it's not awful or unusable or anything, but it's not what I look for in a horn.
I don't think it sounds exactly synthy and I don't exactly dislike the sound, but horn 1 especially doesn't sound to me at all like a horn.
Those are fair ways of putting it. I used to play horn and still do a little. Maybe it’s just not the sound for me. It’s possible that it works better in a mix, but I haven’t used it yet.

I have been enjoying combining SStB core with Adventure Brass lately. I feel those two libraries complement one another in the sense that they each bring what the other lacks or is weak at.

Those are fair ways of putting it. I used to play horn and still do a little. Maybe it’s just not the sound for me. It’s possible that it works better in a mix, but I haven’t used it yet.

You might not find a place for it. SSB is my biggest disappointment purchase in several years.

I now use Studio Brass all the time as a supplement to Symphonic Brass. I find they work quite nicely together. I do think Studio Brass is uneven and somewhat difficult to use so I wouldn’t recommend it as a base brass library but I do like it as a supplemental library.

Top Bottom