What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

Oh...you're new here. That's fine.
Good observation and very inclusive and important of course. I am also quite new on earth so maybe you can help me figure out how this whole "coming up with opinions" thing works?
Not just any, only the right ones of course. You seem to have figured that out way more than I have so far.

Awesome. I'll be there on opening day! It's just too bad for my wallet that the Pro edition seems to be necessary right off the bat, for my needs, unlike with the strings.
What do you need in the professional version that's not in the basic version?

Double the instruments and 3 times the solo instruments plus more than double mic positions, I guess it's worth it for sure.
Usually it's just mic positions for regular to professional for Spitfire. Guess they realize people will go professional if they leave out instruments in the regular version and only include them in the pro version.

This is a really good point. Studio pro brass is almost finished downloading woo-hoo!

I bought Studio Brass and Strings (core). I know they're not meant to be a "workhorse" library, but at this price it's too good to pass up. The walkthrough vids by Paul are excellent (as are the videos by @Cory Pelizzari), I think these are great sounding libraries....but that's just my 2 cents. Both libraries have a solid place in my workflow, and will get used alongside Hollywood Orchestra among others. This whole thread is ridiculous, seriously. ;)

I am a bit tempted by Spitfire Studio Brass Pro for the Euphonium (obviously the other stuff too but I'd like a nice euphonium patch.) Can anyone comment on the euph in this library?

For the sale prices, you could take a chance on it without regret. Hell, $119 for Brass....and $149 for the strings?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but for me throwing $149 or $119 - hell, even $50 - on any kind of a product that I end up not using would not be without regret.

I think this has been an enlightening thread. As we can't demo the products ourselves, it's important to see and hear all the good and bad that we might get when buying the library.

Just getting into this library. One thing I've noticed is how much I like the sound of Trumpet 1 with ALL the mics except Ambient (muted) turned all the way up. I have to be sparing in the use of the dynamics slider when doing so, though.

I compared the sound produced by this maxing out with EWH Brass' trumpet and the results were more than impressive on the part of the SA.

French Horn 1 reacted similarly...I must say, it seems to me that the only thing I have to complain about in regard to this library is how inferior the Core library is to this. It's a no contest, and I can't recommend strongly enough that folks whom are thinking about this library should think hard before buying the Core library...now is the time to go all the way with the wish list sale on.

Just getting into this library. One thing I've noticed is how much I like the sound of Trumpet 1 with ALL the mics except Ambient (muted) turned all the way up. I have to be sparing in the use of the dynamics slider when doing so, though.

I compared the sound produced by this maxing out with EWH Brass' trumpet and the results were more than impressive on the part of the SA.

French Horn 1 reacted similarly...I must say, it seems to me that the only thing I have to complain about in regard to this library is how inferior the Core library is to this. It's a no contest, and I can't recommend strongly enough that folks whom are thinking about this library should think hard before buying the Core library...now is the time to go all the way with the wish list sale on.

I have the Core and can't say I care for it anywhere near as much as the woodwinds from the same series. Your post is definitely aiming me toward Pro Brass, though.

I personally thought the Core in the woodwinds was very nice, though of course when I went Pro I was delighted. The close mics and extra instruments are great and really good, respectively, and I've found use for the outriggers on projects.

I have the Core and can't say I care for it anywhere near as much as the woodwinds from the same series. Your post is definitely aiming me toward Pro Brass, though.

I personally thought the Core in the woodwinds was very nice, though of course when I went Pro I was delighted. The close mics and extra instruments are great and really good, respectively, and I've found use for the outriggers on projects.

That's very interesting. I only have the core versions of brass and woodwinds and don't like them. So are the optional mics really worth it? I think especially for the woodwinds it would be beneficial.

A little EQ and reverb go a long way - and opt for the close end rather than the far end of the mic mix slider. From what I've worked with so far (and it has not been for long), this is kinda how studio-tracked instruments sound. They do need a bit of massaging in the mix.

That's very interesting. I only have the core versions of brass and woodwinds and don't like them. So are the optional mics really worth it? I think especially for the woodwinds it would be beneficial.

Well, it's hard for me to recommend you go bigger with something you don't like. Kind of like a "I hate MacDonald's cheeseburgers, so maybe I should try a Big Mac". More and different dressing and twice the meat, but ultimately a cheeseburger.

However, I must agree with Apo that the difference between the Core and Pro in the Studio Brass is revelatory. Others might see it differently, so the only thing I recommend is to check out other opinions.

Top Bottom