What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

Trumpets a2+ solo trumpet 1. A direct play record, no further modulation.(FX: FL REV+EQ2+Limiter).

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/sfstbrass_jonestheme-mp3.17163/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/sfstbrass_forcetheme-mp3.17164/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Thanks for putting those up.
It sounds lovely, but just a bit too much room for my taste. Which mic's did you have up?

Trumpets a2+ solo trumpet 1. A direct play record, no further modulation.(FX: FL REV+EQ2+Limiter).

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/sfstbrass_jonestheme-mp3.17163/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/sfstbrass_forcetheme-mp3.17164/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Just when I was teasing CSB for not having Time Machine patches... Those Indy shorts need to be way more snappy and you have a library that actually can shorten notes beyond their sampled length so you should utilize that. :)

Is that the Tree 1 mic only? I really like this sound.

Sorry folks, but I think this lib is a complete bust. It sounds simply awful, and the demos are dancing around it. I kept searching through the patches, wondering what I was missing. The answer? Pretty much everything you care about with brass. All of the legatos and longs are simply inarticulate at onset. They have no initial voice, either bad editing or recording. Never mind the terrible mostly nonexistent legato transitions. And it's not just one instrument, it's all of them. The sustains sound like cheesy too-short loops. Seriously, you'd be better off with ROMpler brass than this lib. The room sounds lame too, it's just something to work around. Then you've got levels jumping around from note to note, and, within a note, jarring jumps through the dynamic range etc. The low dynamics are uniformly muddy.

This is by far the most disappointing lib I've ever gotten from Spitfire.

To get a sense of what it's missing, check out SStB vs (how old now?) VSL vs Berlin. Whatever variance on legatos, VSL and Berlin both seem like the same instrument and capture a sense of instrument/player/place/voice. SStB sounds like a brass harmonium or something. (And yes, I was playing SStB with the same legato as the others, to no avail). I looped around twice because situating SStB between the others makes the problems so evident.

And as I said, it's not just the horns. All of the instruments suffer similarly.

SStB kills the studio series for me (I didn't love the strings, but mostly on content and room, not quality, grounds). If you want to play minimalist shorts like a robot army, have at. If you want something that sounds like brass and can play brass parts, look elsewhere - IMO, YMMV.

Why do I always read these types of posts within seconds of making a purchase?

Geez …. and just put in my Cart too :eek:

These are serious times when I truly find it frustrating NOT have Spitfire Audio active here and willing to participate technically and helpfully.

Sure, there are pitfalls, but several other top producers do this very effectively, and are an immense help to many users and library prospects.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, but I think this lib is a complete bust. It sounds simply awful, and the demos are dancing around it. I kept searching through the patches, wondering what I was missing. The answer? Pretty much everything you care about with brass. All of the legatos and longs are simply inarticulate at onset. They have no initial voice, either bad editing or recording. Never mind the terrible mostly nonexistent legato transitions. And it's not just one instrument, it's all of them. The sustains sound like cheesy too-short loops. Seriously, you'd be better off with ROMpler brass than this lib. The room sounds lame too, it's just something to work around. Then you've got levels jumping around from note to note, and, within a note, jarring jumps through the dynamic range etc. The low dynamics are uniformly muddy.

This is by far the most disappointing lib I've ever gotten from Spitfire.

To get a sense of what it's missing, check out SStB vs (how old now?) VSL vs Berlin. Whatever variance on legatos, VSL and Berlin both seem like the same instrument and capture a sense of instrument/player/place/voice. SStB sounds like a brass harmonium or something. (And yes, I was playing SStB with the same legato as the others, to no avail). I looped around twice because situating SStB between the others makes the problems so evident.

And as I said, it's not just the horns. All of the instruments suffer similarly.

SStB kills the studio series for me (I didn't love the strings, but mostly on content and room, not quality, grounds). If you want to play minimalist shorts like a robot army, have at. If you want something that sounds like brass and can play brass parts, look elsewhere - IMO, YMMV.

I...I dunno. Did you use the same midi part for each demo? What about dynamics? I didn't see any sliders moving..

I'm sure you have good reasons for not liking the library - but this video doesn't really prove much.
Kind of like the endless "raiders" demos in the other thread.

Thanks for putting those up.
It sounds lovely, but just a bit too much room for my taste. Which mic's did you have up?
I think I used some Close plus the Tree mic, but not totally sure, I will double check when I got home. I always like the wet reverb preset (called venue) from FL studio, probably I have a weird taste.

I...I dunno. Did you use the same midi part for each demo? What about dynamics? I didn't see any sliders moving..

I'm sure you have good reasons for not liking the library - but this video doesn't really prove much.
Kind of like the endless "raiders" demos in the other thread.

It's a live play through. I didn't move the dynamics in order to not introduce even more variables. The point was to make clear the sound, the lack of articulation, and the lack of legato, not to make an awesome Firebird :) I don't have anything to prove, just trying to give people more info to make their own decisions.

Here's a better quality audio file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rllgl6nrn0f1s04/SStBvs.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Good suggestion, thanks!

I will double-check that, I think I might add some close mic too.
Thx. Could you, if you have some spare time, post that Indy demo again, but with Time Machine treatment and Tree 1 mics only? Wondering whether the normal version would be enough sound-wise and how well the stretching works.

Rich - Can you retry it with adding a bit of Close 2? Or if you have the Pro version one of the premade mixes? Thx.

OUCH..... that video comparison says a lot ......

yes, you can put a lot of work by knowing a library and modeling the sound by using a lot of editing. But, if the Berlin library gives the good sound out of the box, then, the comparison stands good grounds.

Also you can dislike the library if you want, but saying that the demos were written to "dance around" its weaknesses is a bit much isn't it? Andy Blaney just posted a great demo that's very exposed. You can hear the horns legato at 0:48.

Rich - Can you retry it with adding a bit of Close 2? Or if you have the Pro version one of the premade mixes? Thx.

I did try all of the mics, combos and mixes before settling on just demoing Tree1 (all you'll get with non-pro version). I'm not going to spend more time critiquing, it's not really my thing. I just wish someone had posted more critical-listening demos before I bought, so it's just a public service on my part :) The audio (especially the wav) I posted above demonstrates a lot that no mic mix can fix.

Also you can dislike the library if you want, but saying that the demos were written to "dance around" its weaknesses is a bit much isn't it? Andy Blaney just posted a great demo that's very exposed. You can hear the horns legato at 0:48.

I bought the library and can hear quite well, thanks. But peace, if you like the library ignore me :) Different strokes.

Top Bottom