What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

Here's a folder of some quick and dirty tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/urr7t72g5lik2re/AADbL7_FeF-x98lng3x8gAWVa?dl=0

On all long notes, I'm using a breath controller for dynamics. Vibrato is on the wheel with CC1. Dynamics for short notes are CC1 controlled.

Onboard reverb and fp hall setting are both off. No additional anything. I just turned up each Kontakt instance from -6db to 0.

In the Harry Potter excerpt for full brass, I decided to give the three trombone parts to the cimbasso instead, so that could get some air time, and also because there are no solo trombones in the basic version.

The legato could be more agile in places, and I would love to not have to simulate re-tonguing with the breath controller. Those are really the only critiques I have at the moment. Exposed and unprocessed like this, I think it's holding up brilliantly.

I'll explore more later, and try some "flashier" parts.
They sound really good!

Here's a folder of some quick and dirty tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/urr7t72g5lik2re/AADbL7_FeF-x98lng3x8gAWVa?dl=0

On all long notes, I'm using a breath controller for dynamics. Vibrato is on the wheel with CC1. Dynamics for short notes are CC1 controlled.

Onboard reverb and fp hall setting are both off. No additional anything. I just turned up each Kontakt instance from -6db to 0.

In the Harry Potter excerpt for full brass, I decided to give the three trombone parts to the cimbasso instead, so that could get some air time, and also because there are no solo trombones in the basic version.

The legato could be more agile in places, and I would love to not have to simulate re-tonguing with the breath controller. Those are really the only critiques I have at the moment. Exposed and unprocessed like this, I think it's holding up brilliantly.

I'll explore more later, and try some "flashier" parts.
Ha, the first thing I did was play Apollo 13 too.

Bought it but the download is ssssllllooowwww.... Spitfire is very professional in most aspects of their business. Download speeds sadly are not (at least where I'm located). That said, it should complete downloading after 8 to 10 hours using 5 percent of my available bandwidth. And then at that point, can give it a try. Looks great for my needs.

Bought it but the download is ssssllllooowwww.... Spitfire is very professional in most aspects of their business. Download speeds sadly are not (at least where I'm located). That said, it should complete downloading after 8 to 10 hours using 5 percent of my available bandwidth. And then at that point, can give it a try. Looks great for my needs.

It's definitely slow. It took me about seven hours (for the Professional version) hovering around 42Mbps the whole time. My regular download speeds are usually closer to 200Mbps.

Paul's seems to be an answer to anyone wondering if this can handle "that style." It meshes really well with what I assume is the BHT percussion, and maybe some Studio Woodwinds, too?

And it sounds like Homay's been listening to some John Adams!

So I wasn't alone in thinking that was super influenced by Harmonielehre ;)

nice demos btw!

Thanks Noam!

Actually, even before I heard Homay's demo, I was thinking that "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" would be interesting to tackle with this. I'm going to try a few bars now, but that's a tough one to count.

I love Spitfire and have almost all their libraries, but the repeated staccatos just don't sound very realistic to me at all. Am I missing something?

I love Spitfire and have almost all their libraries, but the repeated staccatos just don't sound very realistic to me at all. Am I missing something?

There's also a multitongue articulation for most instruments, which will always sound better than trying to get there with repeated short notes. I haven't played with them yet, though. Lots to figure out just in the default NKI's.

Added a little John Adams, this time with more of a concert hall setting. These are just the legatos. Solo horn + horns a 4, solo trumpet (with a slight 1st chair vibrato) + trumpets a 2, and the cimbasso and tuba in octaves (the cimbasso again subbing in for a solo trombone).

Out of the box, this is definitely *studio* brass. I think you get a fair amount of flexibility with just Tree 1, but I'm beginning to think the other mics in the Pro editions are going to be essential for me sooner rather than later. Especially the outriggers, if BHT is any indication.

Last edited:
If you're talking about mine, I would not judge any library based on what someone has thrown together with it during free moments, and not having owned it for even half a day yet.

Just thought it would be nice to have some examples of one person's attempt to give it good, idiomatic music to play, without any bells or whistles or processing.

Maybe I'm listening to classical music too much, but all those demos sound so "samply" to me. But maybe it's just the execution and the library is capable of sounding more organic.
For me too. The samples tone are nice but its like what I said about that in the other thread imo its not possible to create cohesive lines. Sample Modeling and Ibrass maybe not the king in tone, but they are imo when it comes to create fluid lines with expression better than any other brass libraries. I did some days ago a quick test for the indy fanfare with sm, just for comparison.

miket's IS better ;)
The SM version sounds a lot more realistic than the SSB. The lenght of the notes and how they connect doesn't sound realistic at all. It has ok sound but definitely CineBrass sounds better in lines like this. The legatos in Miket's examples don't work for me either and shorts sound a bit robotic. Only thing I really like about SSB, are the dynamics. And the drier sound.

-Hannes

The SM version sounds a lot more realistic than the SSB. The lenght of the notes and how they connect doesn't sound realistic at all. It has ok sound but definitely CineBrass sounds better in lines like this. The legatos in Miket's examples don't work for me either and shorts sound a bit robotic. Only thing I really like about SSB, are the dynamics. And the drier sound.

-Hannes

You know, I agree. The Spitfire version had a better "sound" but the SM does have a more realistic feel

Yes, the sm had more reverb, but you can make it drier of course. Like I said: Fluid lines with a lot of expression where you can sculpture the expression is more important to me than the tone. These are drier settings, here. There is no right or wrong, each to their own of course but still I think that mikets example completely is obvious inferior when it comes to creating fluid lines and expression, just for me of course...if you like the brass there is nothing wrong with that and enjoy the new library. You know it is not about brass battles here, it is just different philosophies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom