What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

anyone know what the intro price would be? thought of getting it on promo at last hour

Are you saying that there is going to be a new intro price with the release of the library? I understood that the current price would remain for a period of time (support said 2 weeks) after release...

Demos are really nice!

Paul's seems to be an answer to anyone wondering if this can handle "that style." It meshes really well with what I assume is the BHT percussion, and maybe some Studio Woodwinds, too?

And it sounds like Homay's been listening to some John Adams!

Last edited:
They're really playing up the extensive patch list in those demos, which is of course their strong card! Very impressed with those arrangements. Must...resist...

Very good demos, finally!

Some short notes of Paul's demo sounds odd.. (0:16) maybe the library struggles when having very fast passages. Same thing in Homay's demo. It almost resembles harmonica playing runs. I might be wrong though.

Also when it's playing very high dynamics, it doesn't sound as natural as CSB.

Well only 3 demos so far, I need more to compare it with other brass offerings.

Oh man, I was really hoping to base my decision off of those demos, and they are just not doing it for me. It sounds really thin to me, which I know could be the mix. But what else am I going to base my opinion off of? Also, the shorts sound really robotic.

It's never easy to judge these things until you're playing libraries but I really like the sound overall. Not all of the legato patches convince me but the sound is what I'm after. And I love the vibratos I've heard. It has a quite British colour to it, almost like a colliery band.

I think these demos sound pretty good and important for me they do seem capable of achieving things SSB does not do (or at least does not do easily). I like the selection of brass in the pro version, and even the full price on these is pretty reasonable.

Well the demos don't scream BRASS LIBRARY!!!, and that's what I like about them. They show brass well integrated and balanced with other instruments into an overall score. It's kind of refreshing.

My very first impressions are that the dynamic range is superb, and that the legato and overall tone may not easily gratify the ears during a casual play around, but sound excellent when you give them well-written, idiomatic lines.

The three short lengths alone allow for some very convincing phrases.

EDIT: Spotted just one or two bugs. Nothing major at all (inverted vibrato control on the trumpet low dynamics, on a few notes), and I'm reporting them to support as I go.

Last edited:
Here's a folder of some quick and dirty tests.

On all long notes, I'm using a breath controller for dynamics. Vibrato is on the wheel with CC1. Dynamics for short notes are CC1 controlled.

Onboard reverb and fp hall setting are both off. No additional anything. I just turned up each Kontakt instance from -6db to 0.

In the Harry Potter excerpt for full brass, I decided to give the three trombone parts to the cimbasso instead, so that could get some air time, and also because there are no solo trombones in the basic version.

The legato could be more agile in places, and I would love to not have to simulate re-tonguing with the breath controller. Those are really the only critiques I have at the moment. Exposed and unprocessed like this, I think it's holding up brilliantly.

I'll explore more later, and try some "flashier" parts.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is put off by Spitfire reusing demos from other libraries to promote their newer ones? I'm pretty sure Christian's demo for this is the same from Studio Strings but with a little bit of some brass now. I would really like a demo that can showcase Brass writing. Good or bad.

Am I the only one that is put off by Spitfire reusing demos from other libraries to promote their newer ones? I'm pretty sure Christian's demo for this is the same from Studio Strings but with a little bit of some brass now. I would really like a demo that can showcase Brass writing. Good or bad.
Except it does show off the brass and an aspect of the library that the others do not. I would have liked more demos and some demos that really showed the difference between the two versions of the library.

I had to double check the website. Because they have the two versions, it was a bit confusing on my phone. I thought the only demo out there was the release video on Youtube. I'm listening to the actual demos now. My bad.

Top Bottom