What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

You have to admit this is probably the most amazing price Spitfire has ever offered on a brand new library. The pro price gets you a truly impressive amount of instruments and even the 150 price point for one mic is comparable to where Hollywood Brass Gold is after seven years of gradually steeper sales...

Together with the lack of buildup hype, no demos yet, and no announcement of the full post-intro price, anyone would be forgiven for thinking this is all about not losing TOO many sales to Cinematic Studio Brass. ;)

Out of all the deals that have been trying to steal away the $280 I have locked down for CSB this is by far the most tempting one yet. I passed on Afflatus, on Ark1 60% off, on the "Complete your Albions" deal, Infinite Brass and a lot more... this is one that I'll have to think about.

Initial impressions of the sound are good.

There's a wide variety of shorts, swells, extended techniques, and pretty comprehensive sampling of straight mute / stopped. The shorts seem compatible and interchangeable.

The sampling of the lowest dynamics seems so thorough, maybe more than any existing product. LOVELY quiet sounds.

The top dynamics just don't seem to be there. It's better than Berlin, closer to Hollywood and the other flagship brass libraries. But less than what we can hear in the demos for CSB...

HOWEVER.... I can see there is a "cuivre" patch that Paul demoed a little... I know it has a little more oomph in Albion Iii iceni, wonder if its the same here.

Looking forward to a closer listen soon!!

Wow, your assessment of the product is so spot on with what I was thinking that I actually had to double check to see if I wrote it!

I just got my Christmas bonus, so both are tempting, but I think I'll still hold out for CSB. One of my concerns is that if Spitfire did rush to get this out, is it going to have the same unfinished issued as SStS was reported to have?

BTW, regarding the legatos in the Spitfire Studio Brass, they sound really good to me. That "wah" sound is what you get on the real instrument as you find the slots. It is more of a classical sound. I doubt that anyone would choose this library for big band or pop horn section use.

Not really. Orchestral horn players don't sound like that when they're playing a melodic line. It sounds very "samply" to me. But the trumpet, trombone, and tuba sounded fantastic, just not different enough from the Symphonic Brass to justify a purchase perhaps.

Seems like horn legato is also the toughest to get right in the sample world.

Comparing this to CSB, looks like SF has like twice the articulations.

Quick note, on the articulation page it says there are 2 premade mixes in the Pro edition. So it won't necessarily eat up a lot of RAM if you don't want to load up all the mics and make your own mix. Really nice!

Seems like horn legato is also the toughest to get right in the sample world.

Comparing this to CSB, looks like SF has like twice the articulations.

Which could be a good thing for those that will take advantage of those additional articulations. The downside of course being that it just adds to the 'weight' of the program.

Quick note, on the articulation page it says there are 2 premade mixes in the Pro edition. So it won't necessarily eat up a lot of RAM if you don't want to load up all the mics and make your own mix. Really nice!
This is what I like about the Spitfire libraries I own. I can get a great sounding template set up with relatively low memory footprint. Love BHCT for that. No shortage of articulations with this brass (will get the Pro version for sure if I open the wallet). After purchasing another large brass library in recent weeks I’ll be breaking the bank if I add another... but I love those mixes!

Which could be a good thing for those that will take advantage of those additional articulations. The downside of course being that it just adds to the 'weight' of the program.
It does take space on the HD, but any art can be unloaded (and cleared from ram), so it's very flexable...

I dont think he even tried to play legato lines correctly, he just wanted to show the sound of horns.

That line is the very first thing that your potential customers are going to hear (unless they watch the pro video first), and you say "ah screw it! It doesn't matter how this sounds!" ?

We will see when demo tracks come out...

You mean the ones that are buried in reverb and mixed with other instruments?

It does take space on the HD, but any art can be unloaded (and cleared from ram), so it's very flexable...
Oh for sure. I'd just rather have the quality of CSB, than the added articulations of SSB. But i'm sure they're both going to be good, and can see myself owning both at one point.

Edit to clarify: Not saying that I think that SSB won't be a quality product. Just that I know that CSB will be.

When you have a wide dynamic range for the sustains then you have to sample multiple dynamics of legato transition, you can't just do mf otherwise they stand out when the sustains are pp or ff. The softer legato transitions towards the end of your excerpt sound just fine, the ones at the start sound like they were maybe recorded at a little dynamic level below the "lip bleed sustains." But also, it's not idiomatic to play slurs between every note on brass instruments that way.

Wow sounds brilliant and those prices are fantastic! Always looking to upgrade my Brass libraries and this might be the one!

For sure. Shots fired!

No teaser. No audio demos out (yet). Short walkthrough videos. It's clear to me, they were rushing to get this out before CSB. A smart move from a business stand point.
Well they did say it will be released soon after the studio strings.

The list of articulations is pretty amazing.
Wish their Symphonic Brass had this comprehensiveness in terms of articulations.
Also, the solo instruments in Studio Brass have a decent upper dynamic range where Symphonic Brass lacks at it.
They should really release an expansion for their Symphonic range, but I'm not sure if they will be able to get a consistent sound. (eg. combining different articulations from the current Symphonic Brass and newly sampled content might sound like they're coming from different libraries, if they were to do an expansion.)

Top Bottom