What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

That's very interesting. I only have the core versions of brass and woodwinds and don't like them. So are the optional mics really worth it? I think especially for the woodwinds it would be beneficial.

I find the Tree mics sort of flat and "bland". I think its important to remember that these are studio instruments and specifically recorded to be dry with minimal room. It's not AIR and no amount of EQ can make them sounds like being recorded in AIR.

However, the additional mics and the stereo mix do make a substantial difference, and placing the stereo mix in a bigger reverb can easily make the studio instruments fit in a more orchestral setting. The stereo mix itself is imo a better starting point for a good studio sound, and is my default.

I must say, it seems to me that the only thing I have to complain about in regard to this library is how inferior the Core library is to this. It's a no contest, and I can't recommend strongly enough that folks whom are thinking about this library should think hard before buying the Core library...now is the time to go all the way with the wish list sale on.
Yes, I would agree that you get a lot more content with the Pro version. I noticed this immediately when they announced it. It is also reasonably comprehensive. It would be nice to have a flugelhorn and Wagner tubas (which Studio Brass does not have).

I am a bit tempted by Spitfire Studio Brass Pro for the Euphonium (obviously the other stuff too but I'd like a nice euphonium patch.) Can anyone comment on the euph in this library?
I haven't yet spent lots of time with the euphonium, so caveats and all that, but I like the general tone quite a lot, especially its upper range. Christian features the euphonium somewhat in his contextual video for the professional version.

I find the Tree mics sort of flat and "bland". I think its important to remember that these are studio instruments and specifically recorded to be dry with minimal room. It's not AIR and no amount of EQ can make them sounds like being recorded in AIR.

However, the additional mics and the stereo mix do make a substantial difference, and placing the stereo mix in a bigger reverb can easily make the studio instruments fit in a more orchestral setting. The stereo mix itself is imo a better starting point for a good studio sound, and is my default.

I so agree with this, Allan.

As much as I love and respect SA, to me the core Brass is not worth it...even at sale price.

Still looking for a good Wagner Tuba! The ones in Ark 2 are only ok and a3.

Hey I like those! I do wish they could be much more powerful, but hey that's Ark 2.

Ever stop to think that it's kind of lame OT didn't include Wagner tubas in Ark 1? Where would they work better than OTT?

Well, it's hard for me to recommend you go bigger with something you don't like. Kind of like a "I hate MacDonald's cheeseburgers, so maybe I should try a Big Mac". More and different dressing and twice the meat, but ultimately a cheeseburger.

However, I must agree with Apo that the difference between the Core and Pro in the Studio Brass is revelatory. Others might see it differently, so the only thing I recommend is to check out other opinions.

Concerning brass: Maybe I have problems with the dry sound, but I like Hollywood Brass for example. I don't like the horn ensemble legato, it has a slow response. I thought that maybe with a closer mic you have less.

Concerning woodwinds: In general I like the sound, but thought that maybe with a closer mic you have a bit more detail with the legato transitions.

Usually I tend to use close(r) mics in other libraries, because I like this crispier tone. I also have the pro version of the strings. Probably it's just the decca tree which I don't like, but, on the other hand, the stereo mixes are great.

Concerning brass: Maybe I have problems with the dry sound, but I like Hollywood Brass for example. I don't like the horn ensemble legato, it has a slow response. I thought that maybe with a closer mic you have less.

Concerning woodwinds: In general I like the sound, but thought that maybe with a closer mic you have a bit more detail with the legato transitions.

Usually I tend to use close(r) mics in other libraries, because I like this crispier tone. I also have the pro version of the strings. Probably it's just the decca tree which I don't like, because, on the other hand, the stereo mixes are great.

Hollywood Brass is great (especially for ensemble imo but not necessarily just that). If you have the Diamond you might end up like me and kind of hesitating on Studio Pro. I can safely say after my first couple of runs through the latter that I not only have no regrets about having both, but am damn glad of it. Each in some ways complements the other. Imo.

I haven't yet spent lots of time with the euphonium, so caveats and all that, but I like the general tone quite a lot, especially its upper range. Christian features the euphonium somewhat in his contextual video for the professional version.
Thanks. Just watched Christian's video, it sounded quite nice. I'm certainly tempted...

Don't want to distract from the main focus of the thread, but I got about 60 hours till this is finished downloading.

Been watching different YouTubes for some help with the whole orchestral music thing. This one has some pretty neat tips. Any books, websites, videos you guys can share?

Just getting into this library. *******I must say, it seems to me that the only thing I have to complain about in regard to this library is how inferior the Core library is to this. It's a no contest, and I can't recommend strongly enough that folks whom are thinking about this library should think hard before buying the Core library...now is the time to go all the way with the wish list sale on.

Find Jennifer G's 'What's in your wallet?' far more enticing ……… :rolleyes:

@Parsifal666 curious about your further experimentation with SStB Pro in comparison to HWB. I have HWB and CSB and really only want a euphonium patch but if there is not too much overlap between these three libs I could see myself getting it.

Don't want to distract from the main focus of the thread, but I got about 60 hours till this is finished downloading.

Been watching different YouTubes for some help with the whole orchestral music thing. This one has some pretty neat tips. Any books, websites, videos you guys can share?

I remember this episode! Leopold!

@Parsifal666 curious about your further experimentation with SStB Pro in comparison to HWB. I have HWB and CSB and really only want a euphonium patch but if there is not too much overlap between these three libs I could see myself getting it.

There isn't and to be blunt (though there's a good part I haven't explored yet) I like the solo trumpets better. I really appreciate the bass trumpet as well; I was fishing around for a solo version in my other libraries for one and came up short, luckily this one is the bomb.

I must say also, that the instruments missing from HWB in comparison to SStB are smile-bringingly nice to have.

But I have a while to go before I can produce more definitive statements in regard to the library.

I probably (irritatingly) mentioned this already, but HWB was my biggest stumbling block to getting this. Now I feel both relieved and a little silly, there's plenty enough in SStB to inspire beyond that library.

Of course, I won't exactly be putting my HWB up with the mothballs anytime soon. Just two great libraries, period...imo ;)

There isn't and to be blunt (though there's a good part I haven't explored yet) I like the solo trumpets better. I really appreciate the bass trumpet as well; I was fishing around for a solo version in my other libraries for one and came up short, luckily this one is the bomb.

I must say also, that the instruments missing from HWB in comparison to SStB are smile-bringingly nice to have.

But I have a while to go before I can produce more definitive statements in regard to the library.

I probably (irritatingly) mentioned this already, but HWB was my biggest stumbling block to getting this. Now I feel both relieved and a little silly, there's plenty enough in SStB to inspire beyond that library.

Of course, I won't exactly be putting my HWB up with the mothballs anytime soon. Just two great libraries, period...imo ;)
Perfect thank you. Wanted your opinion since we share the same taste in loving HWB.

Of course, I won't exactly be putting my HWB up with the mothballs anytime soon.

Good to hear! I have been using HB for years, and every time I snoop around for something that might be better...I'm reminded again how damn good that library is. The only thing I've see that might be better (as a main brass library) is Cinematic Studio Brass. Spitfire Studio Brass (Core in my case) is certainly a nice compliment to HB, it fills the gaps.

I have now finally had my first session with Studio Brass core (and I got to spend some more time with the Studio Woodwinds). I was immediately inspired to start playing, which is a good sign. I am a beginner so I am probably doing Spitfire a great disservice by sharing what I played. However, if someone is curious how Studio brass core and Studio woodwinds core sounds like in the hands of a beginner, and more or less out off the box, then this might be a good guide. I did cheat a little by adding 1. Valhalla room reverb, and 2. apply some light mastering eq and compressor.

All sounds are from either Studio brass core or Studio woodwinds core.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/orchestral-after-the-fact-alpha-mp3.19960/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Orchestral - After the Fact ALPHA.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
I have now finally had my first session with Studio Brass core (and I got to spend some more time with the Studio Woodwinds). I was immediately inspired to start playing, which is a good sign. I am a beginner so I am probably doing Spitfire a great disservice by sharing what I played. However, if someone is curious how Studio brass core and Studio woodwinds core sounds like in the hands of a beginner, and more or less out off the box, then this might be a good guide. I did cheat a little by adding 1. Valhalla room reverb, and 2. apply some light mastering eq and compressor.

All sounds are from either Studio brass core or Studio woodwinds core.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/orchestral-after-the-fact-alpha-mp3.19960/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I think I'd recognize Valhalla anywhere. Sounds like you and I each got similarly inspired by those libraries ;)

I would like to mention how in love I am with the Mahlerian "Bells Up" in this lib; one of my favorite brass patches from any library.

Top Bottom