What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

This is getting stressful - I keep changing my mind. It’s worrying hearing reports like this but I can’t help but wonder if it would sound this bad once I got my hands on it?! The horns legato was bothering me anyway.. (Before the latest video above.). Surely Spitfire wouldn’t release something so shabby - this is not just business, it’s their passion.

Also you can dislike the library if you want, but saying that the demos were written to "dance around" its weaknesses is a bit much isn't it? Andy Blaney just posted a great demo that's very exposed. You can hear the horns legato at 0:48.
Where is this demo? I can't find it on the Spitfire site or on their YouTube channel.
Edit to add: Never mind. I found it upthread.

This is getting stressful - I keep changing my mind. It’s worrying hearing reports like this but I can’t help but wonder if it would sound this bad once I got my hands on it?! The horns legato was bothering me anyway.. (Before the latest video above.). Surely Spitfire wouldn’t release something so shabby - this is not just business, it’s their passion.

richhickey posted: "Seriously, you'd be better off with ROMpler brass than this lib"

That should tell you a lot....not necessarily about the library. That's not to say it doesn't have its flaws.

Exactly!!! which is why my earlier grumble about SFA not participating here. The top-tier providers truly know their specialties as well as anyone here …. even though always subject to flaws of various types and levels.

Severe critiques, like the earlier one here, are clearly important, but many /most of non-pro users have difficulty sorting providers' expert promotional capabilities versus other professionals' contrary impressions.

Really frustrated now over several Spitfire Audio library releases and related, serious criticisms. :cautious:

Also you can dislike the library if you want, but saying that the demos were written to "dance around" its weaknesses is a bit much isn't it? Andy Blaney just posted a great demo that's very exposed. You can hear the horns legato at 0:48.
Yes, I agree. And what does Horn solo 2 sound like, since these horns were optimized for different approaches to performance? And what does it sound like with the mod-wheel turned down a bit more? I'm not even sure I'm bugged by the sound here—for this passage, obviously I wouldn't like my horn playing like this, but in another context?

Disclaimer! Before I go any further, I'd like to stress I'm not addressing anyone particular in this thread or elsewhere on the forum, especially not Rich.

Every time someone posts an audio example on this forum suggesting that a library "doesn't sound good", all it does is invite more questions. Does the composer actually know what they're doing? (Not always.) Have they simply copied midi from another track and expected everything to work? What about dynamics? What about playing a musical part that's appropriate for the instrument? Or a musical line that reflects what the library is designed to do?

There are *so* many variables with this stuff. It's impossible to judge a library based on these small, solo musical nuggets.

It's a live play through. I didn't move the dynamics in order to not introduce even more variables. The point was to make clear the sound, the lack of articulation, and the lack of legato, not to make an awesome Firebird :) I don't have anything to prove, just trying to give people more info to make their own decisions. ...

Ouch .... .

Wow, Andy's demo is fantastic. And seasonal!

We need more people like him. People who can take pretty much any contemporary virtual instrument and show that 90% of what most of us see as weaknesses are actually shortcomings in our own skills as composers, programmers, and in my case especially, the *patience* required to really make something shine.

OUCH..... that video comparison says a lot ......

yes, you can put a lot of work by knowing a library and modeling the sound by using a lot of editing. But, if the Berlin library gives the good sound out of the box, then, the comparison stands good grounds.

Shrug. I don't think it says much, actually. To me, none of the examples paint their respective libraries in a good "out of the box" light, because it's just notes punched in.

I know richhickey wanted to demonstrate specific characteristics rather than give a super-polished demo, but all I hear are three different tones and three different takes on how prominent legato transitions should be, rather than glaring differences in quality and usability.

What the best tone and legato type are will differ from person to person, of course, but what those are for this library were, in my opinion, in full view for assessment before purchasing, through Paul's videos.

Interestingly, if we're going purely by the static tone and legato of these examples, I like what VSL does the most. But I've worked with the VSL solo horn, and I know better. Oh boy, do I know better.

Disclaimer! Before I go any further, I'd like to stress I'm not addressing anyone particular in this thread or elsewhere on the forum, especially not Rich.

Every time someone posts an audio example on this forum suggesting that a library "doesn't sound good", all it does is invite more questions. Does the composer actually know what they're doing? (Not always.) Have they simply copied midi from another track and expected everything to work? What about dynamics? What about playing a musical part that's appropriate for the instrument? Or a musical line that reflects what the library is designed to do?

There are *so* many variables with this stuff. It's impossible to judge a library based on these small, solo musical nuggets.

No offense taken, Alex. Certainly, a little demo like mine is but an anecdote. So, correct, you can't extrapolate from it. On the other hand, it is a bit of evidence, which can be looked at in and of itself only, but then, I think, objectively.

So pull up the wav file I posted in a good listening environment. Here's what I hear:

===
Level:

Remember, by design, all these recordings were made in dynamic xfade mode with the dynamics CC fixed. Yes, yes, that's not what you'd do to get the most natural performance. But when you eventually ride the dynamic CC you are emulating adjustments and arcs that players make with extreme consistency. So how will that work if, as in the case of SStB in this demo, the levels are all over the place when the dynamics aren't even moving? How will you be expressive and/or mix with that?

VSL OTOH is incredibly tight, Berlin a bit less so.

Legato:

VSL clearly has recorded legato transitions, with a ton of character, for all the transitions in this 5-note bit.
Berlin also, mostly, but somewhat smoothed out by the recording distance.
SStB demonstrates no legato transitions at all.

Sound:

In spite of being very different recording techniques, VSL and Berlin basically sound like the same instrument. They demonstrate roughly the same spectrum of important frequencies and character. They have note onset articulation. SStB sounds unlike them and unlike a horn. Its onsets all ramp. There is no sense of lips on mouthpiece, breath etc. There is no voice. Harmonium wasn't just a dig, it's the impression given by this ramping and lack of splat if you will.

Consistency/QC

VSL is clearly the most consistent. SStB, in just this 5 note sample, has a note with a bad loop (the same note that spikes most in level). Can you hear it?
===

Does a tiny demo inherently represent a whole library? No, it's just my assertion that the demo is indicative of what I found throughout. Need you trust me? Of course not. Drop $299 and find out for yourself :) These things matter to me, they may not to you, many aspects remain subjective etc. That's what the YMMV is about.

Next time out though, I'll let the demo speak for itself and leave out the editorializing. Sorry about that. It's not my intention to get people upset.

No offense taken, Alex. Certainly, a little demo like mine is but an anecdote. So, correct, you can't extrapolate from it. On the other hand, it is a bit of evidence, which can be looked at in and of itself only, but then, I think, objectively.

So pull up the wav file I posted in a good listening environment. Here's what I hear:

===
Level:

Remember, by design, all these recordings were made in dynamic xfade mode with the dynamics CC fixed. Yes, yes, that's not what you'd do to get the most natural performance. But when you eventually ride the dynamic CC you are emulating adjustments and arcs that players make with extreme consistency. So how will that work if, as in the case of SStB in this demo, the levels are all over the place when the dynamics aren't even moving? How will you be expressive and/or mix with that?

Legato:

VSL clearly has recorded legato transitions, with a ton of character, for all the transitions in this 5-note bit.

Sound:

In spite of being very different recording techniques, VSL and Berlin basically sound like the same instrument. They demonstrate roughly the same spectrum of important frequencies and character. They have note onset articulation. SStB sounds unlike them and unlike a horn. Its onsets all ramp. There is no sense of lips on mouthpiece, breath etc. There is no voice. Harmonium wasn't just a dig, it's the impression given by this ramping and lack of splat if you will.

Consistency/QC

VSL is clearly the most consistent. SStB, in just this 5 note sample, has a note with a bad loop (the same note that spikes most in level). Can you hear it?
===

Does a tiny demo inherently represent a whole library? No, it's just my assertion that the demo is indicative of what I found throughout. Need you trust me? Of course not. Drop $299 and find out for yourself :) These things matter to me, they may not to you, many aspects remain subjective etc. That's what the YMMV is about.

Next time out though, I'll let the demo speak for itself and leave out the editorializing. Sorry about that. It's not my intention to get people upset.
Actually, I think this editorial gives weight to the demos. Thanks!

===
Level:

Legato:

Sound:

Consistency/QC

===

I own most of Spitfire's major libs but this is making me look at CSB a lot closer.

Andy Blaney’s demo is fantastic! (as usual)
But I think that it is interesting that it is so wet for a library advertised as dry.

Shrug. I don't think it says much, actually. To me, none of the examples paint their respective libraries in a good "out of the box" light, because it's just notes punched in.

I know richhickey wanted to demonstrate specific characteristics rather than give a super-polished demo, but all I hear are three different tones and three different takes on how prominent legato transitions should be, rather than glaring differences in quality and usability.

What the best tone and legato type are will differ from person to person, of course, but what those are for this library were, in my opinion, in full view for assessment before purchasing, through Paul's videos.

Interestingly, if we're going purely by the static tone and legato of these examples, I like what VSL does the most. But I've worked with the VSL solo horn, and I know better. Oh boy, do I know better.

I have to disagree, I think it was useful to hear this demo. I haven't heard any demo of this library on this thread that sounds convincing yet.

I have to disagree, I think it was useful to hear this demo. I haven't heard any demo of this library on this thread that sounds convincing yet.
Sure, this example showed me one setting not to use if I want to use this library to render a convincing solo from Firebird. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more demos, especially from users. But this thread is starting to follow the same useless trajectory as the one on Studio Strings, which made it harder, not easier, to figure out what the library was capable of and where its real limitations lie.

Sure, this example showed me one setting not to use if I want to use this library to render a convincing solo from Firebird. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more demos, especially from users. But this thread is starting to follow the same useless trajectory as the one on Studio Strings, which made it harder, not easier, to figure out what the library was capable of and where its real limitations lie.

Yep ! …. and both Threads have truly 'soured' me going forward; as well as errant spray on planned SF libs as well.
Quick to add …. my scoring /orch weaknesses make me especially vulnerable to critiques by apparent, capable users.
This Thread has thrown a huge shade on planned Wishlist activity. Hopefully more clarifications will help sort this.

On the one hand, threads like these make me wonder why some developers won't be active on these forums. It is a great opportunity to clarify things and respond to feedback.

On the other hand, I'm assuming that they know their economics (and that there's probably a ton of customers who don't visit these forums, so it maybe doesn't affect them all that much) and also, some probably feel that they can't really positively affect the outcome/direction of said threads.

I wish Spitfire would develop some better legato / transition samples. All of the demos that I've heard of this library demonstrate a weakness in realistic transitions including the ones on Spitfire's soundcloud page. A lot of the defining characteristics of an instrument come from the first attack / transient of the instrument. Which is why when you listen to the short articulations of libraries they sound more realistic than the longs / legatos. (Something to bear in mind if watching a new library demo, if they start with the shorts)

I was listening to the Joshua Bell Virtual Violin which seems to be at the forefront of realistic sounding sample instruments. Has anyone else got suggestions of any other instruments that follow this kind of programming for Brass? Or is it too difficult yet?

Last edited:
Top Bottom