What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

HelixK

This sounds and looks very good. Really affordable, too @ $299 for the pro version. I just spent $225 for just the Synchron upgrade to my VSL Dimension Brass I library (I skipped updating Dimension Brass II for the moment). In comparison, $299 for the whole pro version library (including mutes) is dirt cheap.

We're in a whole new world as far as library pricing goes. I like it, but I fear it might squeeze the little guys out. Major companies can make it up on volume. With Spitfire pushing prices of major new products down, other larger sample companies are going to have to look at their pricing structure.
How are you liking the Synchron Brass? I wasn't even aware of it... did they record new material?

axb312

Can anyone explain why they need six mic setups on a scoring stage?

It would be cool to have that on a bigger stage like air, but is it really necessary for smaller stages?

Seems a bit wasteful and inconsiderate wrt HDD space imo....

Henu

I was thinking that as well, but maybe the stage is still so large that it makes sense.? Hard to say without knowing where this was recorded, though.

Also, CSB coming "soon" and this one already next week with a fixed date, this is going to get dirty at Vi-C, hah!

mikefrommontreal

Also, CSB coming "soon" and this one already next week with a fixed date, this is going to get dirty at Vi-C, hah!
For sure. Shots fired!

No teaser. No audio demos out (yet). Short walkthrough videos. It's clear to me, they were rushing to get this out before CSB. A smart move from a business stand point.

HelixK

It would be cool to have that on a bigger stage like air, but is it really necessary for smaller stages?

Seems a bit wasteful and inconsiderate wrt HDD space imo....
Different mic setups, different sound qualities, different options... I like that a lot. Kontakt libraries are modular, you can delete any mic positions you don't use if that's an issue.

miket

If you listen to Paul demonstrate the microphones, I think it's pretty clear that Air 1 still has a lot of different perspectives to offer despite being a smaller room.

Whether or not you need/want them is another story, but it's not like they just stuck 20 different mics up in a closet to eat up your hard drive space.

Wally Garten

Goodness, that's very nice.

Any idea why the sole mic position in the standard edition is "Tree"? I am still very much a journeyman at mixing, so maybe I'm off base here, but I would think if the idea is a "dry," "studio" sound, you'd want the close mic?

Lee Blaske

No demos as far as I can see. Not sure this is the precise timing SF wanted for this release. Seems like the launch is a bit rushed.
Yeah, I looked for them, too, and I was surprised there weren't any. BTW, on the RH side of the window on this thread is an ad for "Cinematic Studio Brass." Coming soon. Maybe that's part of the rush to press for Spitfire.

Spitfire has sure put out a lot of products this year, but then again, they seem to have a very large staff. How are they going to equal or top this in 2019? I wonder how many projects they have in the works. Are the possibilities endless? I expect we'll see more products that are hybrid compositional tools, like Dust and British Drama Toolkit.

artomatic

I compose with my E A R S
Watching the walkthrough of the poor man's version. Holy mother of cows, I want this so bad I am ashamed of myself. Unless I have become deaf and unprofessional, these sound incredibly good to my ears!

Indeed!

Henu

I would think if the idea is a "dry," "studio" sound, you'd want the close mic?
The room and how it reflects (to) the sound is even more important than the original source. Close- mic'd brass sounds usually like a nasal fart, so you need some sort of a room to make the sound "bloom". The idea here is to use a smaller room instead of a huge hall. In that sense, you'll get a big enough sound from the room reflections but it's not having that 3 mile long tail that many libraries have due to their recording environment.

Gerbil

Perfect pricing and lots to like. Could help to get a real Ebony Concerto thing going with these. I'm interested to hear how playable those legatos are at different speeds even though I don't use legato much with brass.

Oscillator

The sound is very nice, but is it just me, or do those horn legatos in the beginning not sound very good?
That was my thought as well - I liked almost everything I heard, but that horn legato sounded strange, having a "wah" sound to each note, and somewhat disconnected from the previous note.

I'm not sure there's enough here to justify buying it over the Symphonic Brass - I mean almost everything is doubled, it just sounds a bit different (and drier).

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Really like the swell and Variation option. Is 'Variation' Kontakt's Time Machine being applied like the "Stretch" option (which is called TM Patches in other SA libraries such as Symphonic Strings and Chamber Strings etc)? Wondering what it's doing to make the Variations. Anything to make the samples flexible is a great idea in my opinion. :)

miket

Hmm... I could probably wait on the additional mic positions and instruments in the Pro version, but the lack of a solo trombone in the basic version gives me pause. I'll have to think about whether or not I can make do without that until upgrading.

Lee Blaske

How are you liking the Synchron Brass? I wasn't even aware of it... did they record new material?
They added some articulations, but it's mainly the old samples, remastered, with the Synchron Player, with the Synchron Stage IR. I like it. I liked the old library before. Not a dramatic difference, but the Synchron Player might be a bit simpler to use.

Top Bottom