What's new

Spitfire Spring Wish List Announced ;)

If youre expecting symphony series to be on the same level as CSS or MSB or Berlin woodwinds....etc..etc....youre going to be very much let down

That's worth researching.

Can't say I know much about the Symphony Essentials, as its sound is generally just not to my taste. I only have the SE solo brass, which I can't say I care for much.

Also the SE winds come only in large ensembles, which right off lacks quite a lot of what I love most about woodwinds, so hard to even make a direct comparison here.

There are definitely people around here who appreciate SE - though I'm not how likely you are to find them on this thread. Maybe the best thing is to search around for an older thread on SE, and revive it asking for comparisons with SStO?

Sorry if that's not very helpful.

Was helpful. Thanks!

Actually i have Essentials as part of KU11 (missing only their Essentials Percussion). I don't use it much (i only really like their Brass for layering) but i was thinking if this is maybe because of the lack of true legato, multi mic positions, and so on (which are included in Symphony Series)...

I don´t dislike them also, but i don't have Spitfire's Studio Orchestra to compare. I only watched videos and liked my first impressions.

(By the way, i´m talking about Spitfire's Core version, not Pro.)

I was sure the Symphony Series Woodwinds also came in solos? Like the Brass?

Anyhoo, I'd check Cory Pelizzari YouTube as he's done several in depth walkthroughs with them. Might help a decision either way.

Anyhoo, I'd check Cory Pelizzari YouTube as he's done several in depth walkthroughs with them. Might help a decision either way.

Yes! They do!

Thanks. I´ll check it out!

To be honest, in my "Essentials" experience, i didn't found them quite versatile.

Sounds more trailer/epic-oriented to me. For this big, epic stuff, i think i´m already covered with Arks (and the Essentials for layering).

With Spitfire's Studio Orchestra (Core), on the other hand, my first impression from the walkthrough videos was that this maybe is the perfect fit for me as someone needing something good for cinematic, but also good for pop, rock, songwriter, etc. Is this accurate?

I have so hard times to fit my orchestras in pop productions that requires an orchestra.

The only thing that goes smoothly is SCS. But again, they´re only strings!

To be honest, in my "Essentials" experience, i didn't found them quite versatile.

Sounds more trailer/epic-oriented to me. For this big, epic stuff, i think i´m already covered with Arks (and the Essentials for layering).

With Spitfire's Studio Orchestra (Core), on the other hand, my first impression from the walkthrough videos was that this maybe is the perfect fit for me as someone needing something good for cinematic, but also good for pop, rock, songwriter, etc. Is this accurate?

I have so hard times to fit my orchestras in pop productions that requires an orchestra.

The only thing that goes smoothly is SCS. But again, they´re only strings!

If you're happy with SCS as strings, you could save some money. SStO core is (talking euro's here) 549x0,7 = 384,30. SStB core + SStWW core = 498 x 0,6 = 298,80. But then again, you might want strings recorded in the same dry space.

good point. But you basically get a1 (solo) and ~a6 (ensemble), wheres I like the finer brush of the a1s and a2s in SSW. But of course it would be a3s in SStW, so once you get the ensemble of three maybe the difference isn't so big.

Checked my price for Albions 3 and 4. Under $192 each with all the discounts. But I have to buy both.

On the other hand, the Aluphone will be about $30

Had to check my price too for the three that I don't have. Not bad but...I think I'm fine with Albion V and One. If anything, I need another choir library and better writing chops.

If you're happy with SCS as strings, you could save some money. SStO core is (talking euro's here) 549x0,7 = 384,30. SStB core + SStWW core = 498 x 0,6 = 298,80. But then again, you might want strings recorded in the same dry space.

Good idea! You have both? If yes, do you find difficult to make them blend well together?

A couple of points on the NI symphony series:

The section sizes are bigger then the Spitfire Studio Orchestea, and a lot wetter. Something to factor in based on the style of music you want to make etc

They’re also best viewed as separate libraries as they’re recorded in different studios, engineers, mics, seating etc.

You’d have to argue really hard to convince they’re better than Berlin etc, but they are a lot cheaper especially as part of an upgrade or crossgrade offer. They’re not a VI control favourite (if that really counts) but they’re a good purchase at the right price or if budget is a factor.

Of course, take all this as being completely subjective with all the usual caveats etc
A

Last edited:
My list is basically just everything I still want from Spitfire: SCS Professional, HZS, Sacconi Quartet, and Studio Orchestra Professional. I probably won't be able to take advantage of any deals this time around, but there's always the winter one....

Good idea! You have both? If yes, do you find difficult to make them blend well together?
I have none of the Studio series, but I do have SCS, and I don't think I'd need (for my needs) the Studio Strings...
I am pondering the Brass and maybe the winds, but then it just occured to me that there is a collection called SSO Chamber edition, which holds SCS, SSB and SSW. Since I already own SCS the price for SSB and SSW together (assuming the sale% for collections will be 30%) would be 659 for me. That's a lot of money still, but probably the cheapest way ever to get these big libraries.
The three will blend together perfectly of course (and my beloved SSoS with them), but I do have one question for those who have SSB and SSW: are they as useful as SCS in contexts outside the orchestral realm? Could I get good use out of them in my indie pop/singer-songwriter/rock-songs?

Had to check my price too for the three that I don't have. Not bad but...I think I'm fine with Albion V and One. If anything, I need another choir library and better writing chops.
I realized I may have messed up the price a bit. It may not be that low. But I have 3 Arks and CAGE from 8dio so I really don't need them.

Actually i have Essentials as part of KU11 (missing only their Essentials Percussion). I don't use it much (i only really like their Brass for layering) but i was thinking if this is maybe because of the lack of true legato, multi mic positions, and so on (which are included in Symphony Series)...
The NI Symphony Series is good as a low cost/entry library (ie. at 1/2 price only, I'd say). To varying degrees that is -- the strings and percussion are actually pretty good even ignoring price, the brass and woods are just OK if you want something cheap. None of them are going to hold up against other more expensive libraries. I think they are a good entry point... BUT... I also think there are better entry points, like the Spitfire Studio series.

When you add legatos and the other mics into the mix, yes, it does improve the libraries. The additional mics definitely help with removing the wetness. The legatos are OK, although not on a par with some of the better libraries. Overall though, getting the legatos and extra mics doesn't fix the weaknesses of the libraries, by which I mean mainly the brass and the woodwinds. They still sound washy and badly recorded -- very hard to get to work unless they're used for a particular effect or for doubling only. For the strings and percussion it's worthwhile.

For using the Symphony Series outside of orchestral context, the strings would work I think (not having tried it myself), as they are smaller sections, so more versatile. The brass etc, no.

Good point. New libraries and plugins will be released throughout the year, some of which may be irresistible; and summer sales will start next month, with Native Instruments and Orange Tree being likely candidates.

This sale should be weighed against those options. That's not to say you shouldn't buy Spitfire libraries now, just that you may want to consider your annual budget when you do...

Best,

Geoff

Just a recap of a question that might have got lost in this nice thread:

Are Spitfire Symphonic Brass and Symphonic Winds as useful outside a purely classical/scoring/,orchestral contexr as their Chambers Strings is? The latter, though recorded at Air, works perfectly for indie pop/rock for me (as do their solo strings), so I am thinking about going full SSO Chamber edition, this sale. What do you think?

Top Bottom