What's new

Spitfire Spring Wish List Announced ;)

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Omnisphere.
It depends on what you want to do. I bought Omnisphere and so far it is just okay for me. I don't have any extra packs or presets and I find when I futz around with the presets that come with it, it just sounds worse. And? I'm not big on synth/electronic sounds for the most part. I like Analog Strings better.

I'm not going to say it is a waste, because I can load my own sounds. I am thinking of making loops out of stuff like Spitfire and using Omnisphere to do what it does. So kind of like Edna Earth I guess.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
It depends on what you want to do. I bought Omnisphere and so far it is just okay for me. I don't have any extra packs or presets and I find when I futz around with the presets that come with it, it just sounds worse. And? I'm not big on synth/electronic sounds for the most part. I like Analog Strings better.

I'm not going to say it is a waste, because I can load my own sounds. I am thinking of making loops out of stuff like Spitfire and using Omnisphere to do what it does. So kind of like Edna Earth I guess.
i am generally covered with VST Synths.

i've resisted my O-Face for this long ...

eDna/Kinematik and the Swarms are looking very attractive at this point.

especially since already grabbing up most of the traditional (Pro-version) SFA libraries.

BezO

The Artisan
Damn these sales! You don't know what you "need" util the price is right.

My strong possibles are Am Gtrs & BT Phobos. SSoS is right behind it, but I've been holding out for a Chris Hein sale.

SStS & SStB are lesser possibilities. I've been holding out for the Chris Hein NKS update & sale.

HZP(P) is unlikely but on my list because I can't get enough percussion & this sounds sweet.
And had I not just purchased FORZO & NOVO, Albion IV would be a go.

I don't need the SStS, but I like bundles. SSOP would be a go if it included SSoS. Any chance there's a Solo Bundle I'm not seeing?

SpitfireSupport

Customer Experience
Had my eye on the SSO SCS Edition, but since I have SCS Pro already, doesn't look like that counts as a discount for the bundle - it's just the regular 30% off, as if I didn't have SCS.

Oh well, perhaps I should wait for the pro version anyway :)
Ah, this is a common problem because our website thinks of SCS Pro as a completely separate product to SCS, even though the former contains the entirety of the latter. If you contact support at spitfireaudio.com/support they will sort out the correct price for you.

AllanH

Ah, this is a common problem because our website thinks of SCS Pro as a completely separate product to SCS, even though the former contains the entirety of the latter. If you contact support at spitfireaudio.com/support they will sort out the correct price for you.
Thanks for the clarification. I had essentially dismissed the upgrade for the same reason.

whiskers

Perpetual student
It's a very beautiful sounding texture library.

Also it's very dry, so it can be a bit tricky to mix. And I can't say I've ever been able to figure out what to do with the 7 different mics, so I only every use the default. One way to think of the dryness is that makes it possible to use it as a kind of "LCO first chairs", if you're so inclined.

The legatos are, well nice to have - Andy's demos really show you what they can do - but not remotely in the same league as the main Spitfire Solo strings library (or CSSS etc). Very playable so far as they go, though probably not what you want for writing string quartets, and only available for the Vc and Vl. Do not expect Joshua Bell or SsS Virtuosic Vl levels of playability here.

I did have a go at layering them on top of Homay and Oliver's Sacconi demos, on this thread:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/spitfire-available-now-alternative-solo-strings-ch-contextual-demo.68994/page-8#post-4196252

and with the caveat that my noodling over top of these pieces really doesn't do any favours to the original compositions, the proof of concept I was looking for here was how the rawer and dryer SASS patches might mix with other libs, and I was happy enough with how they blended (which was my biggest concern before I bought them).

The dynamics are gorgeous though, and there are articulations you just won't get anywhere else.

One way to think of them might to look at Christian's video for the new Solo Strings. Here there is not a legato patch to be seen, but instead uses SsS to really craft the sound of the piece. Of course he's layering with SCS, which SsS is especially suited for, but my point is that if you think of the AltSS in terms of this kind of crafting of the sonority of a piece, this is something they do very well, only within the "alternate" or "artisan" style of the lib.

And I especially love the sul tasto.
thanks for the thoughts - were the demos done with the Alternative Solo Strings library, or the regular Solo Strings?

whiskers

Perpetual student
so excuse my, erm. *cough* waffling @sostenuto;)

Pretty darn sure I'm gonna pick up LCOS (Love LCOT). Still not sure about the AltSS though. It's only a 25$ saving if i get the bundle (vs if I get LCOS only right now and pick up AltSS later)

Really wish I hadn't watched that video on A1, lol. Seems pretty cool. But I'm probably covered on most the content, but it still seems great.

Probably will be holding off on SSO SCS until next wishlist to evaluate actual need.

Last edited:

ism

thanks for the thoughts - were the demos done with the Alternative Solo Strings library, or the regular Solo Strings?
So what I did - and the context here is that I was trying to convince myself to upgrade to the full AltSS - was take the existing demos by Homay and Oliver from soundcloud (with Spitfire's permission), which were the most textural or 'alternative' of the Sacconi demos, layer some additional AltSS (or I guess technically the artisan Vl and Vc, which I already had).

So its all the AltSS + Sacconi + a little bit of the Olafur (solo) evo. If you listen carefully, you can probably tell which is which, but on the whole I though they blended well enough to merit buying them all. Which reminds me: must remember to pick up Sacconi at some point.

Last edited:

whiskers

Perpetual student
So what I did - and the context here is that I was trying to convince myself to upgrade to the full AltSS - was take the existing demos by Homay and Oliver from soundcloud (with Spitfire's permission), which were the most textural or 'alternative' of the Sacconi demos, layer some additional AltSS (or I guess technically the artisan Vl and Vc, which I already had).

So its all the AltSS + Sacconi + and a little bit of the Olafur (solo) evo. If you listen carefully, you can probably tell which is which, but on the while I though they blended well enough to merit buying them all. Which reminds me: must remember to pick up Sacconi at some point.
Thanks! Still on the fence about it, and was wondering how much of a hassle blending would be. Appreciate your perspective.

Top Bottom