What's new

SPITFIRE - Spitfire Solo Strings NEW Virtuoso Violin Total Performance Patch

Thanks, but I’m looking for further clarification. Were there specifically different transition samples in the 1st desk violin legato than the viola legatos?

Ah, I thought you owned the library and could look for yourself. Yes, there's the same fast and fast runs transitions for the cello, as well as ricochet legato, which I'm not sure what they will use for. The bass only has fingered legato, and everything else have what's already released. And to answer your question, no, but the fast and fast runs transitions are only in the virtuoso violin and the cello. So as I said, they have the material to release a cello patch like the virtuoso violin, and a simple bass legato, and that's it. Which is still pretty impressive, I just wish the viola had received the same love with fast transitions. Maybe because it sounds so good, maybe because I'm a violist and write a lot for viola.

Ah, I thought you owned the library and could look for yourself. Yes, there's the same fast and fast runs transitions for the cello, as well as ricochet legato, which I'm not sure what they will use for. The bass only has fingered legato, and everything else have what's already released. And to answer your question, no, but the fast and fast runs transitions are only in the virtuoso violin and the cello. So as I said, they have the material to release a cello patch like the virtuoso violin, and a simple bass legato, and that's it. Which is still pretty impressive, I just wish the viola had received the same love with fast transitions. Maybe because it sounds so good, maybe because I'm a violist and write a lot for viola.

Ah interesting. Thanks. Maybe they’ll record those transitions for the viola at some point? It would be a shame with the strength of this programming if they only provided it for violin and cello but I suppose I understand why.

I have not doubt that SF will soon do a "Pro" expansion of the library, adding these arts and new features to all the instruments.

01 - Arturia - Modular - Berliner
02 - Arturia - Mini V3 - 3osc
03 - Spitfire Audio - Spitfire Solo Strings - Violin Total Performance
04 - Spitfire Audio - Spitfire Studio Strings - Violas (6)

05 - UVI - Orchestral Suite - Grand Cassa

SA - Violin Virtuoso - Total Performance.JPG UVI_Grand Cassa.JPG

I'm satisfied with the new solo strings so far but I found 2 issues that makes it nearly impossible to get realistic results. First, on the new virtuoso violin patch you can hear a bow change after 1 second or even less on some notes. That's really too fast for lyrical, slow stuff. Second, on the b vilion first desk legato the vibrato on some notes sound absolutely not normal.. like the player and his violin got electrocuted or so. Someone experienced this too?

Last edited:
Although I can get some great results after some clever programming with this library, I’m also experiencing some issues with various patches in particular notes.
I’m writing them all in a notebook so I can submit a ticket to SA.
Btw had a good laugh with your post - “like the player and his violin got electrocuted or so” :grin:
If you have time please share which notes on violin b you’re having trouble with so I can add to my notes if they are not there yet.

Although I can get some great results after some clever programming with this library, I’m also experiencing some issues with various patches in particular notes.
I’m writing them all in a notebook so I can submit a ticket to SA.
Btw had a good laugh with your post - “like the player and his violin got electrocuted or so” :grin:
If you have time please share which notes on violin b you’re having trouble with so I can add to my notes if they are not there yet.

Thank you for doing so! I will have a look asap! Well, hopefully there did not happen bad things to the player ... It's more a kind of messed up vibrato. Like 2 vibratos at once, no idea how to describe it. But "good" to hear others experience this too. Thought I have something like a corrupt version.

You’re not alone, we all have this problem with the library if you check some threads.
I guess the samples are not phase-aligned, when I use the vibrato cc there’s always a point where I hear phasing and more than one violin.
There’s also some notes that start out of tune and others that have an abrupt start no matter what velocity I’m using..
That said, I still like the library a lot and have used it in 3 projects already, but I always spend some considerable time programming it ;)

when I use the vibrato cc there’s always a point where I hear phasing and more than one violin.
Sometimes I hear this and sometimes I don't, but I haven't been able to pin down when it happens. I don't know if it is only certain notes, or certain dynamic layers or what. Like the transition between nonvib and vib in general, I don't find it to be a problem when the violin is part of an ensemble and not overly exposed, presumably because the ensemble helps mask it. I have more problems with the cello, which I feel like I have to fight with a lot more.

So, one can say, this is more than a buggy library. Which is sad and I can't understand why such a great company like spitfire audio is releasing such an "unfinished" thing. Again I love the overall sound of this but these bugs are really annoying. Hopefully they'll fix it asap!

So, one can say, this is more than a buggy library. Which is sad and I can't understand why such a great company like spitfire audio is releasing such an "unfinished" thing. Again I love the overall sound of this but these bugs are really annoying. Hopefully they'll fix it asap!
Because the library is very usable as it is! And some of the issues, like the way the vibrato works or the bumpiness of the transitions between dynamic layers, are part of the design of the instrument, consequences of optimizing other things in the library. @ism has a lot of good commentary on this sprinkled throughout the forum.

My main wish is that they make a version of the legato for each instrument that uses the progressive vibrato for the sustains.

For now I’ve been having some good results with the progressive vibrato set by velocity in the violin virtuoso performance patch, but yeah I wish this option existed for all performance patches too or even the sustains like you mention. Those progressive vibrato sustains have a cool sound to them.

For now I’ve been having some good results with the progressive vibrato set by velocity in the violin virtuoso performance patch, but yeah I wish this option existed for all performance patches too or even the sustains like you mention. Those progressive vibrato sustains have a cool sound to them.
As I understand it, only the cello has the samples to make a performance patch that works the same way as the violin.

Top Bottom