What's new

SPITFIRE - Spitfire Solo Strings NEW Virtuoso Violin Total Performance Patch

Yup, me too - Paul's video put this on my 'to buy' list. Amazing realism, beautiful sound.

Suddenly, it comes into focus what kind of a library this is.

Without amazing legatos, it's a texture library, roughly in the genre of the Alternate solo strings and perhaps, at least arguably, things like LCO or the Olafur evos - libraries that are all about textures and seldom about the kind of detailed phrases that involve legato. As a "texture library" I think I would probably have probably bought this anyway, with or without legatos. Actually, who am I kidding, they had me at "flautando" (or at least "whispered tremolo") and there's very little chance I'd have been able to resist buying even completely sans legato. I love this kind of library.

But when you add legatos of this quality - and beyond the obviously strength of the sound I'm hugely excited about how well the dynamic and vibrato layers seem to work together - it becomes a very different genre of solo string library. And I think a much more familiar genre, in "what I talk about when I talk about solo strings libraries" sense of genre.

The contrast in posts before and after Paul's demo is striking! :cool:

And now the it appears that we're getting the best of both genres, I think quit naturally reframes how we can understand the library.

Can't wait until thursday.

Oli, that cheeky bastard, using the wrong patch! What a silly goose! Did no one from the team warn him he’s using the wrong patch? What a bunch of scoundrels. That legato was like hearing midi flutes from 2000s. How did this get past everyone. Naughty!

Oli was Not using the wrong patch, he was using a pre-release patch of a pre-release library that was still in the stage of editing. They named it “a quick look”. I interpreted that video as a quick look into a work in progress on a highly anticipated pre-release library with not yet fully baked pre-release patches. Having that in mind I was looking forward to fully baked patches and was not expecting final legato results of a decade ago as some here, on the contrary I was expecting legato in line with their latest string libs. Perhaps Spitfire should title their videos more carefully if they want to avoid such misunderstanding. However, ‘it is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood’

I like the videos of Oli a lot, as do many here, especially the mini compositions using the libraries in context and exposing the lines and libraries, sometimes in brutal detail, proving the libs stand up to it. That sold me quite some libs. He cannot be faulted there and here in my mind. Keep up the good work Oli!

Besides that, his taste in cities to live in cannot be faulted either!

ARC Samples new String Textures pack is available now: https://arccomposer.com/arc-string-textures/
I'm sorry to rain down on your parade, but how is this relevant to Spitfire Solo Strings?
Other than the fact that you are also advertising strings. I think your own thread will suffice to generate interest.

Congratulations on your release. :cool:

I'm sorry to rain down on your parade, but how is this relevant to Spitfire Solo Strings?
Other than the fact that you are also advertising strings. I think your own thread will suffice to generate interest.

Congratulations on your release. :cool:

New to the community and removed, thanks for the shout!

Nice sounding legatos, still don't get the exclusion of Legatos from the "Virtoso" variant and hope thats a 1.0 omission rather than a design intent? Would be handy to know if its on the roadmap or not?

The portamento slides are very good and are some of the best solo strings ones I have heard as many other rivals seem to fall down on those.

I love the sound of the legatos. Thank you for Paul posting this vid. But I am wondering why only the 1st desk violin has legato, not the other fiddles.

What, it still isn’t Thursday yet? My calendar’s spring must need to be wound up again. (Yeah, I’m really looking forward to this now.)

I asked the support guy for the download size... but we may have misunderstood each other. This is anyway just an estimation ; he assured me that the specs page will be updated asap.

The size of the folder on a Mac should be 42.78 GB (It will show differently on a PC because Windows reports file sizes differently). This means it will need in excess of 86GB available space during the download process.

The uncompressed size of the library is roughly 46% larger, so over 62GB - however, this is the size of the original .wav files before they are compressed into the Native Instruments .ncw format, so it's not something you'd ever "see" as an owner of the library.

Ben

Top Bottom