What's new

Spitfire Solo Strings: Virtuoso Violin Total Performance

have they created similarly-playable patches for any ensemble strings?

Aside from the performance legato patches and the legato performance, two different ones, I’m not sure they will. This was a completely different recording, not a rehash of the playability, so they’d have to re-record all Ensemble Strings to make that happen.

Aside from the performance legato patches and the legato performance, two different ones, I’m not sure they will. This was a completely different recording, not a rehash of the playability, so they’d have to re-record all Ensemble Strings to make that happen.

ok thanks for your answer!

I think you'll find there are no new recordings. It's the same set of samples with a new script.

Where did u get the idea this was a new recording?

The recorded the virtuoso violin as a separate patch, Did I misunderstand the whole walkthrough? This did not seem like some scripting, but an entirely new recording of the the violin by Jack Liebeck. They also added articulations...I mean if it's not new, why the hell didn't they just do this from the start?

The recorded the virtuoso violin as a separate patch, Did I misunderstand the whole walkthrough? This did not seem like some scripting, but an entirely new recording of the the violin by Jack Liebeck. They also added articulations...I mean if it's not new, why the hell didn't they just do this from the start?

I don’t agree. They just re scripted the virtuoso violin legato using samples that already existed within the virtuoso folder of articulations. The library already had all these articulations recorded by Jack Liebeck

I am looking at the walkthrough again, and I think you might be right..it's not a new recording...this is a bummer. I thought they added the recording with new techniques..instead it's just better programming? No wonder why people are saying that JB violin is better...LOL My bad then.

I don’t agree. They just re scripted the virtuoso violin legato using samples that already existed within the virtuoso folder of articulations. The library already had all these articulations recorded by Jack Liebeck

Starting to see that...bummed out. I got all excited..lol. I heard that the legato wasn't very good with the whole solo strings to begin with, hence why I thought they went back and re-recorded a better one...so then will they do this to the other instruments within the library is the question?

Starting to see that...bummed out. I got all excited..lol. I heard that the legato wasn't very good with the whole solo strings to begin with, hence why I thought they went back and re-recorded a better one...so then will they do this to the other instruments within the library is the question?
As pointed out by @thesteelydane in the other thread, the necessary transition samples exist for the cello, but not the others. So... make of that what you will.

I think you’re overestimating the role of recording in the creation of playable legato patches. I think Editing and scripting is where the magic happens

(Provided they recorded transition samples)

I think you’re overestimating the role of recording in the creation of playable legato patches. I think Editing and scripting is where the magic happens

(Provided they recorded transition samples)

Agreed. Is the sound of the virtuoso violin the same as the standard violin patch? Or did they also improve the sound as well? I only have Cinesamples Solo strings, so I can't compare these. I am considering getting them as a future purchase to fill out my SF Chamber Strings.

Agreed. Is the sound of the virtuoso violin the same as the standard violin patch? Or did they also improve the sound as well? I only have Cinesamples Solo strings, so I can't compare these. I am considering getting them as a future purchase to fill out my SF Chamber Strings.

It depends on what you mean by standard violin. There are 3 violins in the library (virtuoso, first desk and progressive). It’s my understanding the new total performance features the same samples as the virtuoso violin

It depends on what you mean by standard violin. There are 3 violins in the library (virtuoso, first desk and progressive). It’s my understanding the new total performance features the same samples as the virtuoso violin

Ah..so there was already a Virtuoso violin sample? I didn't know that, that's why I thought it was a new recording. So that makes sense then, it was probably re-scripted. If you have the Chamber Strings, how does the solo total performance patch differ from their "legato performance" patche? Is it that it's more than just legato, but the same concept? Thanks for your time.

Ah..so there was already a Virtuoso violin sample? I didn't know that, that's why I thought it was a new recording. So that makes sense then, it was probably re-scripted. If you have the Chamber Strings, how does the solo total performance patch differ from their "legato performance" patche? Is it that it's more than just legato, but the same concept? Thanks for your time.

IIRC, The performance legatos in chamber strings are several legato speeds and spiccatos accessible without key switching via speed of playing and velocity etc. The new total performance patch takes that same concept to a whole new level by incorporating more legato types, more varieties of short notes, different rates of vibrato and tremolo all accessible from one patch without key switches.

IIRC, The performance legatos in chamber strings are several legato speeds and spiccatos accessible without key switching via speed of playing and velocity etc. The new total performance patch takes that same concept to a whole new level by incorporating more legato types, more varieties of short notes, different rates of vibrato and tremolo all accessible from one patch without key switches.

Got it..so it would be possible for them to do this type of patch for their other libraries...I really hope so. Thanks again for your time..

Got it..so it would be possible for them to do this type of patch for their other libraries...I really hope so. Thanks again for your time..
If you look in the samples folder, some of the instruments—virtuoso violin and cello in particular—have more samples available. Some of these samples do not seem to be used at the moment (e.g., progressive violin has legatos samples but there is no legato instrument for it), cello has most of the same legato articulations as the virtuoso violin but currently only has the basic legato patch. So, no, they can't do this with all the instruments since the instruments have to have the right legato transitions (e.g., fast runs, fast legato) and, if I'm understanding how the patch is working, other articulations like ricochet.

The two legato violins, while they sound great together, are, expressively, completely different beasts.

The "first chair" doesn't play very fast, but it has amazing textures and allows you to craft phrases unlike any other violin I know, it just really hits a sweet spot for me. It's not a smooth as the Joshua Bell for instance, nor really as fast. But for 80% of what I actually want a violin for its become my go to violin. I've been posting examples of what it can do on other threads, so I'll spare everyone more of my noodlings here. I tend to think of it not so much as my 'first chair' violin as my 'neo-classical' - expressive, textural violin.

The virtuosic violin is really something else entirely, I've spent much of the weekend creating mock ups with it and when they say virtuosic, they mean really *#$%ing virtuosic - I've posted a rough WIP mock up on the other thread with some early results. And I'm still not sure I've scratched the surface. It has innovations in progressive vibrato (using Kontakt time machine), and other things like arpeggios. There is great depth to this instrument. In fact I think the marketing, if anything, undersells it. (As opposed to the first chairs violin, which the marketing definitely undersells).

In comparison, the Joshua Bell, by design, is more pristine, and at some tempos is going to be smoother, in they way you want you mozart concertos to be smooth, in particular because of things like rebowing, but because of its ethos in general. Each have their own sweet spots, and can do things the other can't. But they're very much in the same league.

Last edited:
I am looking at the walkthrough again, and I think you might be right..it's not a new recording...this is a bummer. I thought they added the recording with new techniques..instead it's just better programming? No wonder why people are saying that JB violin is better...LOL My bad then.

The fast transition samples where always there, I looked in the samples folder on release day. It just wasn't implemented until the update.

Am I understanding the presets correctly? Only legato articulations for 3 instruments, and they're separate presets from the rest of the articulations?

Top Bottom