Spitfire Solo Strings: Virtuoso Violin Total Performance

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by boxheadboy50, Oct 11, 2018.

1. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Even the term “miles ahead” is itself vague and subjective

2. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    1 criteria
    Does it sound real?

3. SimonCharlesHanna

Feb 3, 2012
    Alright.

It's objectively better/superior.

Fixed

fixxer49 likes this.
  4. fixxer49

fixxer49 Bouncing Consultant

Jan 13, 2013
    New York, NY
    i like it better. how's that?
    someone asked, i answered. i gave my honest - subjective - assessment.
    i'm actually putting both through their paces right now, and i stand by my original comment.

But, since i don't write violin concertos for a living, and i use the other spitfire libs a LOT, the SF solo violin will get plenty of use.

SoNowWhat? and jamwerks like this.
  5. prodigalson

Nov 14, 2013
    Sorry but I wasn’t questioning using the term. It’s perfectly valid. I was addressing Simon Charles Hanna.

fixxer49 likes this.
  6. prodigalson

Nov 14, 2013
    Lol, that’s still subjective. I’m not saying you’re wrong that it’s better, maybe i agree with you. I’m saying that you and no one else can say it’s objectively better because what anyone thinks makes something better is inherently subjective.

7. SimonCharlesHanna

Feb 3, 2012
    It's not a matter of taste, these instruments are attempting to mimic real-life. There is an observable, objective goal that doesn't rely on artistic opinion or subjective interpretation.

Simply put, this Violin doesn't sound real (even the formidable Andy B. can only achieve so much with it). JB Violin does or at least gets far closer. If composers think otherwise, I can only surmise they don't know what to listen for.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    fixxer49 likes this.
  8. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Duly noted. Just not sure it's miles ahead..lol SF has come a long way with this release, and I think they made a good choice to fit it into their existing solo library than as a separate instrument. For me, I don't need crazy amounts of articulations, but ease of playing and getting the point across...I've only used Cinesamples solos so far, but the SF looks to be a string Black Friday contender..lol

Zoot_Rollo and SimonCharlesHanna like this.
  9. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I think this all depends on the goal. If the goal is to never have it be replaced by a live player, and has to sound as believable as possible, then Jb is probably the way to go. If you just need it to mock up, but also have it sound "correct", then there's nothing wrong with SF's...But I am curious in your opinion, what is it that I can listen for to hear the realism between the two? I would like to know for my own reference...thanks.

10. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Senior Member

May 8, 2018
    It's heartening to know there are Andy Blaneys out there to push this stuff forward.

As VIs gain sophistication at this level, unfamiliar demands will be placed VI players, ie. a need to understand the source instruments in detail to create credible performances, not to mention considerable skill at the keyboard. Perhaps this will lead to a renaissance of musicianship for our kind.

col and SoNowWhat? like this.
  11. SimonCharlesHanna

Feb 3, 2012
    I can't argue with that.

It's a hard question to answer without having direct comparisons to show. It really boils down to a mix of "am I hearing chopped/crossfaded audio" and "this line sounds labored, bumpy and uncanny when it should sound effortless".

In the video posted (it's all pretty unconvincing but solo strings are notoriously difficult to sample) but the trills at 0:17 are pretty poor.

jaketanner likes this.
  12. prodigalson

Nov 14, 2013
    A) whether something sounds real or not is, inherently, a matter of opinion. 95/100 people might think a sounds real but if 5 think b sounds more real so it is by definition subjective.

B) Whether the final realism of a Library is the most important factor in assessing it’s ultimate value is, in itself, also subjective. The fact that some people prioritize other things makes it opinion and not fact.

I hope you can read my argument through the lens of a simple disagreement with whether any assessment of a library is opinion or fact and not as a disagreement with the merits of the assessment itself

13. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes. I’m guessing it’s because he’s not only an extremely talented musician, but also clearly knows how to make Kontakt work wonders on the scripting level.

Which makes me wonder how big the pool of programmers/scripters is, that can transfer their Kontakt ninja know-how over to the new Spitfire engine?

Hopefully that new engine will allow even greater flexibility without limiting the number of programmers out there that Spitfire could tap to make further advances.

14. SimonCharlesHanna

Feb 3, 2012
    You can have an opinion, doesn't make you right or correct (neither does being in the majority). One of those groups is correct and one is not.

The Earth being flat or round is not a down to subjective opinion just as a VI sounding real or not, is not. An untrained ear may not pick up on such inconsistencies, but doesn't make them right to say it sounds real.
    That's fair enough, but I can't imagine many people buying a solo strings library for it's "sound manipulation" abilities. No I think realism is of the utmost importance here.

15. prodigalson

Nov 14, 2013
    Yes...exactly my point.

Totally and I agree with you....but that doesn’t make it fact.

16. Michayl Asaph

Michayl Asaph Senior Member

Feb 10, 2016
    I would love to see Spitfire package that patch alone and sell it as a Solo Violin only...
    that would be really great..... I really don't need another solo strings library.

17. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    The subjectivity of objectivity, clearly and fully posited:

18. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    I'm getting crackles on every single note attack. No other instruments loaded, other apps closed. 2016 MacBook 16GB memory.

Anyone else?

rocking.xmas.man likes this.
  19. prodigalson

Nov 14, 2013
    try deactivating "utilise TM" on the main GUI

MaxOctane likes this.
  20. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I'm working on a 4Gz i7 iMac (late 2015) with 32GB. I don't get noise when used alone but in context it initially causes pops and clicks even though none of the CPU meters from Activity Monitor were showing overload (none of the cores were above the 50% point). But I did notice Logic was showing a background CPU level as high. When I clicked on the Logic CPU meter showing the cores, the overall level strangely went down significantly with only a few momentary spikes in one of the cores and the number of pops and click correlated, not surprisingly, with the CPU spikes. Hard to know if that reduction in pops and clicks is because more of the samples were loaded into RAM or what. But if I close the Logic CPU monitor I seem to get more pops and clicks. That makes no sense to me and I'm tempted to chalk it up to spurious correlation.

MaxOctane likes this.