What's new

Spitfire Player

It's so much fun adding every one of those articulations isn't it o_O
I finished doing the same with BHCT last night, I wanted to die by the end

See what you find and give me a shout if you need me to load anything etc to compare

Well that's going to take a while because upon reloading it today, HZS isn't in my VEPro template so something has gone wrong when saving. So it has to be done all again. Unbelievable.

If you're going to use the word "inferior" to describe someone's software, then I would expect a response exactly like what Paul gave you, and IMO he was smart to not engage you further.

It's not Paul's responsibility to give you (or anyone else) a detailed response to each criticism you put forth. Especially in your case, where you're someone who loves, loves, LOVES to argue, so that's going to lead to an endless string of responses from you, and Paul would end up thinking, "Why, oh why did I get myself into that discussion." (I've been there myself on that one.)

This, along with your little spat with Jay, is getting very tedious, so I'm going to ask that you stop posting in this thread (or related threads) unless you have something truly new to say AND if you can manage to say it in a way that is nice, as opposed to combative.

NOTE - I left almost all the posts as is, but I did delete a few short ones that are just silly "I know I am but what are you?" posts.

ONE MORE NOTE - MY USUAL DISCLAIMER - No one from Spitfire (including Paul) contacted me at all about this. I'm chiming in and doing minor edits for the good of the forum, not because (as someone else claimed) I am worried about losing ad dollars.
Ok, I think this is past repairable ... I want to respectfully ask you to delete my complete profile including all of my posts from this forum. If you really think there was any need in censoring anything that I wrote here or prevent me from writing anything further, I have no further intention of either reading or posting or even being associated in any way with this forum. I do not love to argue and this will finally put an end to it.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this is past repairable ... I want to respectfully ask you to delete my complete profile including all of my posts from this forum. If you really think there was any need in censoring anything that I wrote here or prevent me from writing anything further, I have no further intention of either reading or posting or even being associated in any way with this forum. I do not love to argue and this will finally put an end to it.
We don't delete profiles, because people often stomp off in a huff like this, then later change their mind. Instead I'll do the equivalent of banning, which gives me more flexibility. (This is your second banning, of course, so I doubt that flexibility will be necessary, but still, I like to keep my options open.)

So that request is granted, but I never delete old posts, for several reasons:

1. It isn't fair to other people who later read threads with missing context from deleted posts.

2. It's a childish request.

3. It isn't fair to other people who later read threads with missing context from deleted posts.

4. I don't know how.

5. It isn't fair to other people who later read threads with missing context from deleted posts.

Last edited:
I like Kontakt, but it is far from a perfect platform. When you start putting together large complicated libraries, you start running into issues like what Paul described. Even in my own case, my issues are different from Paul's, but I'm still in a situation where I'm not sure I can make Kontakt work for the next word-builder instrument we're doing. I know for sure that if I could build my own player and make it do what I want it to do, my vocal instrument would be better.
Mike,

..come on in - the water's lovely...

In our experience, YMMV, 800 groups is where K slows down and becomes harder to manage.

I'd like to slightly correct this statement. It really depends on what you're doing in Kontakt, but there are 2000-3000 group instruments out there that perform just fine (some made by yours truly). Just groups by themselves isn't a problem, but of course number of group FX and modulators, and especially what the scripting is doing, that could matter a lot. Sandbox does an awful lot of things and this is both great and not great - as everything in life every pro has a con.

I'd like to slightly correct this statement. It really depends on what you're doing in Kontakt, but there are 2000-3000 group instruments out there that perform just fine (some made by yours truly). Just groups by themselves isn't a problem, but of course number of group FX and modulators, and especially what the scripting is doing, that could matter a lot. Sandbox does an awful lot of things and this is both great and not great - as everything in life every pro has a con.
Interesting ... it seems logical that the developers scripting has a big influence on the efficiency of Kontakt as a plugin. Do you think Kontakt limits you in what you can do in terms of scripting without getting inefficient? And would it be reasonable to suggest, that a custom player (without a sampler for your own sounds) could surpass Kontakt's performance and/or possibilities by being custom fit to the tasks of that Player? And lastly, would the exclusion of a multitimbral mode in your opinion make it easier to make a custom player more efficient?

Does the Spitfire player (SP) automatically purge samples when an instrument is loaded? I'm suspecting not but it's definitely a feature that is heavily used in Kontakt. Wondering if samples don't get purged whether some kind of update is planned to bring this functionality to the SP?

Do you think Kontakt limits you in what you can do in terms of scripting without getting inefficient?

Really wildly depends on what you're trying achieve, so no clear cut answer on that one.

And would it be reasonable to suggest, that a custom player (without a sampler for your own sounds) could surpass Kontakt's performance and/or possibilities by being custom fit to the tasks of that Player?

Sure if you purpose-build something for a singular purpose, rather than trying to do many things, you can likely do optimizations not otherwise possible.

And lastly, would the exclusion of a multitimbral mode in your opinion make it easier to make a custom player more efficient?

Not really. If the instrument is not loaded, it simply doesn't impact the performance of the whole instance in general.

Does the Spitfire player (SP) automatically purge samples when an instrument is loaded? I'm suspecting not but it's definitely a feature that is heavily used in Kontakt. Wondering if samples don't get purged whether some kind of update is planned to bring this functionality to the SP?

also curious about it.

I don't understand. Do you mean when a sample is unloaded? If so then it appears to in the Youtube videos. You can see them unload articulations and mics and the RAM load drops.

I don't understand. Do you mean when a sample is unloaded? If so then it appears to in the Youtube videos. You can see them unload articulations and mics and the RAM load drops.

No. I am talking about loading a patch and having all the samples purged. Just like in Kontakt. If you purge your samples, save the patch, then load that saved patch, it will load with all samples purged. Then as you play, only the samples you play load into ram.

Huh, haven’t tried it. Get more ram, dude. ;)

If Spitfire is still listening to our whining, it would be nice to add an option to label the three controllers with the MIDI CC and/or their function. Rather than the little spider or whatever those are.

I have 192gb of RAM in two machines I’m using at the minute. Plus 24gb in the Master machine. But sure, I guess I should add another machine. :)

Anyway, I’d still love to know if it’s possible to purge samples in the new Spitfire player? Or if it’s planned as a feature at a later date. Would be great! Thanks.

I have 128gb and I feel like I’ve never reached that limit. Sometimes wonder why I didn’t just get 64gb instead.

Not sure if this data helps anyone but that's what it is if you're wondering about the whole footprint of having this beast loaded and ready to go with 148 instances of Spitfire Player. ;)

But what happens when you press play? All the cargo space in the world is useless if the plane can't get off the ground.

However you may or may not be amazed how few people open a patch and fiddle with it. I'm not sure if thats NDA so I won't quote the actual figure but its very very very tiny.
Out of curiosity: where do you get this info from?
Is Kontakt collecting this as user data and sends it to you/NI?

Question about using libraries on multiple machines. Spitfire said you get two licenses for their libraries. Obviously I only want to download BBC once, then move it to another machine on my network. How do I enable it on the second machine? Through the Spitfire Download Manager? I've found the trick of resetting the latest update then re-downloading that update, but it might not work with version 1.00 with no updates.

Top Bottom