What's new

SPITFIRE - PAIRS Two Amazing Libraries, One Amazing Opportunity. Ends TODAY! 23:59 BST

Most businesses chase new customers, so typically the best overall deals are to them. Its just a fact of life. Occasionally you get offered some discounts based on what you have bought and this is nice but often when you add it all up you are paying more than a new customer.

Relevant example = Sable vs SCS (Core and/or Pro) bought on release or "crossgraded".

Its not a malicious thing, its just the way the cookie crumbles.

But I think some here let their personal angle cloud their sentiment towards any deals.

Its all about need vs want vs perceived value. If it ticks your boxes great!

Just to be clear, I am not a SF fanboy at all. I have plenty of constructive criticism to throw their way. This isn't about defending them at all for me. It's about what a fair expectation is and isn't in a BOGOF promo. To expect to get one for free because you bought the other one in the past is not a fair expectation, and to feel cheated somehow is just silly. On top of that, SF is offering those who did purchase one of them in the past a discount on the other, which they don't even have to do.

I definitely wasn't referring to you or anyone pointing out the notion that everyone who previously purchased anything should get anything free. It's just-and this is my personal feeling after talking to them-that I was left feeling as another person said in another thread, as if I were being talked down to. It felt like arrogance. Maybe it's just a cultural thing. I'm not disrespecting SFA and think their products are excellent. I'm just saying as others have, my experience was cold with them, when other devs I've contacted have been fantastic with making me feel valued and worthy to them, and have worked with me to keep me a loyal customer instead of making me feel like they were doing me a favor. They weren't. I can take my money elsewhere and purchase tons of great libraries from other devs, and I do. So I think that's where the animosity from the other posters is coming from.

No fan boy either, yet respectful of what SFA has done over time.
My experience with USA telephone Support has been a huge benefit (including calls involving promos & pricing).
Sandy, in particular, has always been courteous, professional, helpful, and never condescending.

I hope those with past, poor experiences, will have offsetting positives in future ….. ;)

Most businesses chase new customers, so typically the best overall deals are to them. Its just a fact of life. Occasionally you get offered some discounts based on what you have bought and this is nice but often when you add it all up you are paying more than a new customer.

Relevant example = Sable vs SCS (Core and/or Pro) bought on release or "crossgraded".

Its not a malicious thing, its just the way the cookie crumbles.

But I think some here let their personal angle cloud their sentiment towards any deals.

Its all about need vs want vs perceived value. If it ticks your boxes great!

I think yes, but I'm not made of money. Culturally, I was brought up with haggling and it works in most situations in the real world, to find the best deals, to only spend money when absolutely necessary and get the lowest possible price you can humanly get. I have had excellent experiences with other developers on this matter that have really gone above and beyond to do their best.

This is why I am the way I am about deals. It says more about me than Spitfire but Spitfire aren't the best value for money around here in that respect. And I say that having spent lots of money on their libaries.

I've had terrific experiences dealing with Spitfire on the two occasions that I had to contact them about a pricing issue or a missing content issue. Same with Orchestral Tools. (Knock on wood.)

I definitely wasn't referring to you or anyone pointing out the notion that everyone who previously purchased anything should get anything free. It's just-and this is my personal feeling after talking to them-that I was left feeling as another person said in another thread, as if I were being talked down to. It felt like arrogance. Maybe it's just a cultural thing. I'm not disrespecting SFA and think their products are excellent. I'm just saying as others have, my experience was cold with them, when other devs I've contacted have been fantastic with making me feel valued and worthy to them, and have worked with me to keep me a loyal customer instead of making me feel like they were doing me a favor. They weren't. I can take my money elsewhere and purchase tons of great libraries from other devs, and I do. So I think that's where the animosity from the other posters is coming from.

This is all a different subject to what we've been discussing in this thread. If someone had a bad experience with their support (I have in the past), or wasn't satisfied with a product (me again) etc.. That's one thing to discuss, but that's not a reason to complain that you (not you) deserve to get something for free in a BOGOF promo because you already own one of the items in the sale. That's just an unrealistic and unfair expectation no matter what your previous experience is with the company. There is a sense of entitlement to this notion and peoples compulsion to feel cheated or outraged by the smallest or in this case non existent perceived injustice is just not credible.

The argument on page 2 of this thread was so confusing, and I think I figured out why!

Buy one...

13762.jpg

...get one free?

12734.jpg

;)

There is a sense of entitlement to this notion and peoples compulsion to feel cheated or outraged by the smallest or in this case non existent perceived injustice is just not credible.

Eh. I don't know. If people are upset, I think that bad feeling is inherent in the nature of the up-and-down pricing that requires you to be in the right place at the right time. And it's not like the devs don't actively encourage the idea of "loyalty" and a "relationship" with them. It's all a little manipulative. I'm as susceptible as anyone to the lure of "sales" and "a good deal," of course... but it's not like there isn't another way:

https://valhalladsp.com/faq/pricing/do-you-have-black-friday-sales/

I'm only speaking for myself, imo there's a huge difference between BOGOF and a 30% discount off a list price since I already purchased SCS. Yes I would love to add OACE to my arsenal.
I don't think my reaction is one of entitlement, for me it's more about the "spirit" and premise of the promotion.
For me paying $210 for a library(a 30% discount) is a not in any shape or form resemble the spirit of the BOGOF promotion.

An example of another approach that comes to mind is the current OrangeTree GB.
I will not feel penalized completing a bundle and will pay the same price or close to the same price as someone who purchases the entire bundle during the GB.
If Spitfire had imo a more reasonable price(notice I didn't say free)I would be all over this but paying $210 for something that other users will get for free feels more like a penalty than a promotion.

SF is good to their customers though, they have "complete my bundle discounts" for example. You can get stuff discounted all year round as a result. They run extra sales too now.

This is a special sale and what they should do is tell people who already have one item in the pairs bundle to just pound sand. But they don't. They give a pretty good discount for you so you aren't fully left out.

For me, I own one of every item in these pairs so will probably give it a pass because I'm cheap. But I don't feel like SFA is somehow ripping me off. I'm glad they are giving us a deal. I wish it was more though sure but I think it's fair, generally speaking. I mean HZS for $500 because I bought Albion3 three years ago. Not bad!

Just tested it and I think you are all wrong about the math ;)

First, as an Iceni owner ($449), I tried buying HZS ($799), and I get offered a $287 discount.

Then, I tried buying the SCS-Olafur pair ($299 / $699) since I own neither one, and I get offered a total price of $699 (discount of $299).

Do you see it yet?

The percentage discount is the same whether you own one library or neither. The discount percentage for each pair is the price of the cheaper library divided by the total price. Again, this discount percentage is offered to customers who own one OR NEITHER library.

However, the total amount you save is (unavoidably!) different, because the people who buy both libraries of a pair are spending more money.

A demonstration:

Since I already own Iceni, I am offered a 36% discount on Hans Zimmer Strings ($287 off a purchase of $799).

If I owned neither library, I would be offered a 36% discount on the pair ($449 off a purchase of $1248).

This is exactly fair!! :)

So these are the discount percentages that you should be getting. Test them and see if my math is off. All of the deals are roughly equally good.
  • SSS+HZP: 33% off
  • A1+Phobos: 40% off
  • SSS+Olafur: 30% off
  • AlbV+Olafur: 40% off
  • Iceni+HZS: 36% off
  • Glass+EDNA: 40% off
Once again, just to hammer home the point, you get that discount percentage whether you own either or neither library. You even get it if, as in my case with Iceni, you own the cheaper library and are only buying the more expensive library.

Last edited:
You should also ask yourself if you paid full retail for the libraries you already own. I got SCS in the strings deal on Black Friday last year - so I got a pretty big discount on that already.

I think most of us have bought intelligently over the years, either in sales or intro prices - so have already had decent discounts on the products we own. I certainly haven't paid full retail price for any Spitfire library ever.

This BOGOF deal is based on full retail price - not intro or other sale pricing.

Whilst there are valid criticisms to be made about Spitfire, I sometimes think that if they came up with a cure for cancer there are some on this forum who would moan about them destroying doctors jobs....

Just tested it and I think you are all wrong about the math ;)

First, as an Iceni owner ($449), I tried buying HZS ($799), and I get offered a $287 discount.

Then, I tried buying the SCS-Olafur pair ($299 / $699) since I own neither one, and I get offered a total price of $699 (discount of $299).

Do you see it yet?

The percentage discount is the same whether you own one library or neither. The discount percentage for each pair is the price of the cheaper library divided by the total price. Again, this discount percentage is offered to customers who own one OR NEITHER library.

However, the total amount you save is (unavoidably!) different, because the people who buy both libraries of a pair are spending more money.

A demonstration:

Since I already own Iceni, I am offered a 36% discount on Hans Zimmer Strings ($287 off a purchase of $799).

If I owned neither library, I would be offered a 36% discount on the pair ($449 off a purchase of $1248).

This is exactly fair!! :)

So these are the discount percentages that you should be getting. Test them and see if my math is off. All of the deals are roughly equally good.
  • SSS+HZP: 33% off
  • A1+Phobos: 40% off
  • SSS+Olafur: 30% off
  • AlbV+Olafur: 40% off
  • Iceni+HZS: 36% off
  • Glass+EDNA: 40% off
Once again, just to hammer home the point, you get that discount percentage whether you own either or neither library. You even get it if, as in my case with Iceni, you own the cheaper library and are only buying the more expensive library.

Wow great breakdown. I had a thought of doing this analysis until I remember I don't like math.

I've always viewed the Pairs sales they do as time-limited bundles given a set discount that Spitfire has arranged so that existing customers can still get the discount even though they are not buying two products at this time, like NoamL posted above in more detail.

New customers can buy Tundra and OA Evo right now for $449, which is the regular price of Tundra. I bought the OA Evo for about 40% off, based on my existing Tundra ownership, but I never paid full price for Tundra in the first place. I bought Tundra during the Apex sale for over 50% off. In total, I paid less than $380 for these two products that have a combined normal price of $748. Spitfire could have easily blocked me from taking advantage of this sale based on the above, but they did not, and now they have pried even more money from me and I have already written a track that heavily features the OA Evo.

It will amaze me if Spitfire don’t discontinue posting on this forum sometime soon. No matter what they seem to do, there is instant criticism, usually from the same, but vocal commenters: SCS expansion (‘yes, but is ‘pro’ really ‘pro’?), free LABS (‘yes, but what about that blinky ad, and isn’t there some evil plot behind all this?), Tundra free to whoever can guess Christian’s whereabouts and >50% off for everyone for 48hrs (‘yes, but you’re forcing me to make a hurried purchase’).

And now: discounts on some of our products if you already own something, or want to buy 2 at once - elicits the response: ‘yes, but I wanted the 2nd to be free, and I’m upset that it isn’t, even though you never said anything of the sort’.

No matter what they post, the usual suspects will have their usual complaints. If Spitfire leave this forum, pissed off with all the negativity, and who could blame them, then I guess the response here will be: ‘oh, they’re so unresponsive’.

In order to inject a little sanity: thanks Spitfire, nice promo. Not for me this time, but hoping for similar around Black Friday. By the way, I bought 2 of your libraries in the past, so in the minds of some here, I’m a mindless fanboy who can no longer make decisions for myself, and has been blinded by your marketing.

It's how buy one get one free has always worked since the dawn of marketing. To be precise... "buy one NOW, get one free". If you already owned a pair of shoes in a new BOGO promo, you can't walk into the shoe store and demand the other for free.

That’s true, but here they are marketing in a way that gives false hopes: Already own one? Complete your pair.

I can complete any kind of pair any time if I like. Just suggested they should not give false hopes, as it’s a discount, not 2 for 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom