What's new

Spitfire Legato Performance Palette Manual?

Jeremy Gillam

I'm trying to figure out my way around the legacy legato patches (Legato Performance Palette) in the Spitfire Symphonic Strings and Chamber Strings libraries in order to hopefully gain a little more control over my sound compared to what the newer Performance Legato patches offer. I'm having a hard time finding documentation for these, can anyone point me in the the right direction?

So far I've determined that velocity controls the type of transition — fingered, bowed, or portamento. But I can't figure out how to trigger runs. And it would be helpful to have a concise explanation of what the sliders on the right do in different contexts. Thanks so much.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 5.10.05 PM.png

I would like to know this as well. I think (I don't know for a fact) that the runs articulation is triggered based on note length, i.e. if a midi note is short enough until overlapped by the next one.

The answer to your questions is available on the Spitfire website:
Chamber Strings user manual web or pdf download, page 12 bottom half.
For Symphonic Strings its the bottom half of page 17 in SSS manual.

I would copy and paste but I think that would be a copyright infringement.

Hey guys,

The Legato Performance patches are essentially the legacy legatos. The differences here are that you can change the velocities/speeds that different transitions trigger by Ctrl/Cmd + clicking the articulations. You can also use this to see the currently set values (so if you wanted to know how runs are triggering, Cmd/Ctrl click that articulation).
https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/h...o-Performance-and-Performance-Legato-patches-

We generally recommend using the Performance Legato patches if available as these are far more recent. Here's some information on the Performance Legato values:
https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007143734

I still can't get the runs working with Performance Legato even nearly as well as when just using a dedicated "runs" articulation. :( And if I want to go full kungfupanda-super-portamento, the Legato Performance takes it way more over the top than the newer patch. I just can't get the Performance Legato to work reliably, no matter how much I overlap and fiddle with velocities.

Thanks all. I agree with Henu that the Performance Legato patches leave much to be desired. I don't care how the patch feels to play, but I absolutely want max control over as many elements of the sound as possible.

Top Bottom