What's new

SPITFIRE Labs Closing Down!

Last edited:
When they first started with Spitfire Labs I picked up quite a few of them, and almost every one was very useful. Then I stopped paying attention while they released a bunch more. Today I picked up the 10 pack (already had some of them) and 14 others. So far only one that I'd regret purchasing if it was more than $3 and the money wasn't going to charity. The rest are well done, and will find a home here.

22 libraries for under $50 - 22 opportunities to find some inspiration - there could have been a couple more duds and I'd have still been quite happy.

And while demos are scarce, this gentleman did a 30 day challenge focused on the Labs instruments. There's some cool tracks here, and you get to hear them in action.

Anyone own the "milk bottles" LAB? I cant find any audio on this, and was wondering if its just milk bottles being played as percussion instruments, or is it the ambience of a milk bottling plant with machines, and the milk bottles clanking, etc? The description doesn't make this clear IMO.

Well, I had a few of these in my cart last night, and come back today to add some more and my cart was emptied. BUMMER! Lesson learned, dont add to cart and instead add to text doc. Putting this up as a warning for others. :sad:

Good idea! Just make sure you buy them off the wish list, or you might be very sad at the next "wish list promo" :thumbsup:

Haha, with a possible saving of nearly £1, what's there to be sad about?! :laugh:

That is one I would skip if I was doing it again.

Anyone own the "milk bottles" LAB? I cant find any audio on this, and was wondering if its just milk bottles being played as percussion instruments, or is it the ambience of a milk bottling plant with machines, and the milk bottles clanking, etc? The description doesn't make this clear IMO.

Thanks - it's helpful to have a list to check against.
So that looks like 56 in total?
(Took me a while to figure out that Hammered Dulcimer and Mini Harp are on that list twice. ;) )

Edit:I'm wondering if the re-launched versions might not require full Kontakt? Perhaps more budget-friendly for hobbyists and people starting out.

But I guess that the cost of a Player licence would means bundling up more at once rather than lots of individual items?
Doh! Sorry about that. Yes, there are 56 of them. Here they are again in alphabetical order without the repetition:

Alien Bells
Bedlam Piano
Bell Tree
Bike Bells
Cajon
Charango
Crumhorn
Desk Bells
Djembe
Dry Vibraphone
Electric Mandolin
Fingered Dulcimer
Floppy Disk Drives
Folk Loops
Frame Drum
Hammered Dulcimer
Hamster Cage
Hand Chimes
Hand Claps
Harmonic Piano
Henson Frozen Strings
Indian Banjo
Iron Drum
Kalimba
Kitchen Sink
London Atmos
Mandolin
Melodica
Metal Fan
Milk Bottles
Mini harp
Mini Pan
Music Box
Nylon Guitar
Office Lightshades
Ollie Waton Drums
Peel Guitar
Permafrost Strings
Plastic Pipes
Plucked Grand
Plucked Upright
Pylons
Rare Groove Piano
Scary Strings
Seek Wah
Sleigh Bells
Soft piano
Tangerines
The Colonel
Thundervox
Toy Dulcimer
Toy Piano
Trumpet Fiddle
Trumpet Fields
Tundra Atmos
Whistling Piano

Ben

And just a tip, Spitfire servers seem much faster in the evenings (U.S.) than during the day.

Spitfire servers are in fact Amazon S3 and are no doubt hosted in the EU (Ireland) region without a CDN in front of them. Happy to be corrected, personally as I'm in the UK I've never had any trouble downloading from there.

You started it you crazy funster!
LOL! When talking about software "disappearing" etc., how can you avoid alluding to the political & economic environment in which the reality is embedded?

But since this isn't a political thread, I went to great pains to avoid making any editorial comments about how the capitalist ethos tends to work.

Ordered 21 LABS to the same account over a period of three years but Spitfire could only trace back 6 of them. They’re looking into it.

Ordered 21 LABS to the same account over a period of three years but Spitfire could only trace back 6 of them. They’re looking into it.
They went through a website change/upgrade some time ago. The non-Labs product in my account survived the change, but my Labs products did not. I didn't think anything of it at the time, because I would have no need to re-download them. My current account only shows the Labs products I added since then.

Have a similar situation, and was told by support that since I ordered using the old system (where you got tokens for donations) they could not add those purchases to the new system, and thus they cannot make my past LABS purchases show up my account. Unsure what this will mean going forward, especially if they relaunch with some sort of customer loyalty promotion, as my past LABS orders are not part of my account it will look like I've never donated. Apparently I'm not the only one who had this happen, so maybe they will look into a solution? If money was no object I would just donate again. Maybe I will over time, but for sure I cannot before the current LABS shuts down.

Top Bottom