What's new

Spitfire HZ Percussion: Worth the Price?

Mike Fox

Could someone advise about whether I’d get any value out of HZP pro at 40% off, if I already own the Heavyocity ensemble series, Damage, Met Ark 1/2/3?
I’m at a stage where I’ve already spent a lot so I want to make sure I get value out of purchases.
I'd say pass If you already own all of those.

babylonwaves

Could someone advise about whether I’d get any value out of HZP pro at 40% off, if I already own the Heavyocity ensemble series, Damage, Met Ark 1/2/3?
i combine HZP and the heavyocity ensemble drums all the time. HZP give you the room and wideness, HED the punch and directness. the Ark percussion sounds different to HZP as well. i'd say, go for it - you can never have enough percussion anyway ;)

spiderfingers

@RandomComposer: I have a similar setup as you. First of all, HZP is a rather natural percussion library unlike the percussion from Heavyocity. Second, they got a very special sound of all the percussion by the way they miked them, so they also sound quite different from Metropolis. I only bought the standard library, because Zimmer's mixes seemed to have the most outstanding quality, so I would advise to go with that too and maybe upgrade later (Junkie XL's mixes are said to be extraordinary, too, but I didn't find many examples on youtube etc. - maybe someone here would like to make an indepth review about the different mics?)

RandomComposer

@RandomComposer: I have a similar setup as you. First of all, HZP is a rather natural percussion library unlike the percussion from Heavyocity. Second, they got a very special sound of all the percussion by the way they miked them, so they also sound quite different from Metropolis. I only bought the standard library, because Zimmer's mixes seemed to have the most outstanding quality, so I would advise to go with that too and maybe upgrade later (Junkie XL's mixes are said to be extraordinary, too, but I didn't find many examples on youtube etc. - maybe someone here would like to make an indepth review about the different mics?)
Do you find that the sounds are different enough that there are certain vibes that you can get from using HZP that you wouldn't be able to achieve with the MA series? Or is it more a case of having a more diverse timbral palette?

spiderfingers

Do you find that the sounds are different enough that there are certain vibes that you can get from using HZP that you wouldn't be able to achieve with the MA series? Or is it more a case of having a more diverse timbral palette?
I find the MA percussion (especially 1+3) have rather a bread and butter timbre with a tendency to hugeness, while Zimmer's mixes of HZP do have a special, kind of ethnic vibe. So that's a definite yes to your question.

I'd also recommend the following 2 youtube vids which probably aren't available (anymore) on the spitfire website. I can't really associate such a sound with MA:

RandomComposer

I find the MA percussion (especially 1+3) have rather a bread and butter timbre with a tendency to hugeness, while Zimmer's mixes of HZP do have a special, kind of ethnic vibe. So that's a definite yes to your question.

I'd also recommend the following 2 youtube vids which probably aren't available (anymore) on the spitfire website. I can't really associate such a sound with MA:

Oh wow that's an great subtle ethnic sound in that first video! I've got EthnoWorld for the ethnic sounds, but I've always found it slightly lacking, so this could be great for padding out those ethnic atmospheres.

Top Bottom