What's new

Spitfire - Hans Zimmer Strings 24 Hours Left! ENDING Tuesday 5th June 23:59 BST

Women were in many societies banned from careers or pursuing "mens" fields.

So to say its men that invented this or that, well of course they are going to be in the majority as women were denied access until probably way into the 20th century.

They are still playing catch up.

No wonder there are not many female contributors here. There sure are some dinsosaurs in this community with some repulsive opinions on the other sex. Your mothers must be proud...

It might be off topic but it is still interesting that just like "Chefs" the elite that get the plaudits are... men

I am sure HZ did not go out of his way to exclude females from his discussion, but its rather symbolic that they were all men, surely?

Great conversation. I would kill for "Theory Time with Henry Jackman." I have been studying one of his cues from Jumanji recently and trying to transcribe it. His music is so accomplished.

@Rctec, regarding what you said about John Williams's recording dynamics at 1:36:09, I agree entirely... I discovered the same notion when trying to mock up one of his works. He often has the instruments do a crescendo from mf without putting any dynamic at the end, and then later has an additional crescendo to f or decrescendo to mf. So, it's as if there really is a phantom "mf+" layer and he expects his musicians to understand that nuance. The wonderful finale at the end of the piece is only written at this implied "mf+" dynamic. Initially I tried to mock it up more intensely, and it just wasn't working. Then I looked at the score really closely and it was like, aha. The reason it sounds so rich is because every instrument's proper "colors" are coming through and nothing is getting lost. Because everyone is using their "big sound, but not overdriven" playing technique. It wouldn't have that wonderful warm feeling if it was any louder.

ps for that German saying about getting extra intensity from seeing the music - you know how your nose helps you taste food? Well, maybe in English we can say "the eye is the nose of the ear." ;)

Are there any more video walkthroughs of HZS showcasing legatos and shorts? The new demos don't do much to alleviate my concerns about the lack of short articulations in this library.

Difficult to keep track of HZS information with all this meaningless drivel.

Women were in many societies banned from careers or pursuing "mens" fields.

So to say its men that invented this or that, well of course they are going to be in the majority as women were denied access until probably way into the 20th century.

They are still playing catch up.
Utter nonsense. Your whole argument is based on the false premise of 'gender quality': the foolish notion that the more a society is "freed up," the less stratified the sexes become and somehow we will magically achieve proportional representation. What happens in reality is the exact opposite: the more egalitarian the society, the more stratified the sexes become and the more disproportionate the resulting representation. This is known as the Gender Equality Paradox (but actually it's not paradoxical at all to anyone who has a functional brain). Differences in aptitude and personality traits more than sufficiently explain sex-typical occupational choices/preferences in society. There is no need to invoke stories about discrimination to make yourself out to be morally superior to everyone else. No need to bring about conspiracies and mysteries where none exist.

I would kill for "Theory Time with Henry Jackman."

He's such a monster with music isn't he. He's amazing. I love that he is this living encyclopaedia of Musical theory and knowledge (and ex Choir Boy from the most prestigious Choir in England) but loves dirty EDM and stuff like Bristol based Electronic bands such as Portishead and Massive Attack. A snob he is not! :)

This Hans Zimmer Composer Round Table video is wicked and hearing everyone's stories is inspiring to say the least. What a room of talent. I can only imagine how creative it must be at RCP.

Regarding Jay's post, all I'll say is that the proportion of women in professional orchestras went through the roof specifically when orchestras began doing auditions behind a screen. Since we're going to cite science at each other, please look up the paper "Orchestrating Impartiality" in the American Economic Review authored by C. Goldin & C. Rouse. In a world without screened auditions, there would doubtless be many well-meaning people running around saying things like "Well women just don't want to play the trombone professionally..."

Something relating to sampling that I found really interesting in this round table video was that HZ says he likes to record samples using a conductor (and no click) and not with a conductor and a click. It makes total sense in regards to making things more human.

And yeah, Retrospective Record in Cubase is absolutely one of the many reasons why Cubase is so killer! Total life saver. Not that I'm asking for some kind of DAW war now. ;)

I liked the Video. And ordered HZS today after rewatching Paul's walkthrough again. At first I was little sceptical about 344 strings & oversampling when playing divisi. But that LR button kinda convinced me having 16 RR for stacc if you just regular L and R patches. Also those gallery positions are totally unique. Why didn't they sample it earlier up there? The tratto and gallery patches are worth the price alone (probably)

Are there any more video walkthroughs of HZS showcasing legatos and shorts? The new demos don't do much to alleviate my concerns about the lack of short articulations in this library.

Difficult to keep track of HZS information with all this meaningless drivel.

Utter nonsense. Your whole argument is based on the false premise of 'gender quality': the foolish notion that the more a society is "freed up," the less stratified the sexes become and somehow we will magically achieve proportional representation. What happens in reality is the exact opposite: the more egalitarian the society, the more stratified the sexes become and the more disproportionate the resulting representation. This is known as the Gender Equality Paradox (but actually it's not paradoxical at all to anyone who has a functional brain). Differences in aptitude and personality traits more than sufficiently explain sex-typical occupational choices/preferences in society. There is no need to invoke stories about discrimination to make yourself out to be morally superior to everyone else. No need to bring about conspiracies and mysteries where none exist.

With utmost respect to Spitfire for derailment here...

The "Gender Equality Paradox" typically refers to STEM, not music composition, which is what we're talking about here and decidedly the opposite of STEM. As others have pointed out, after orchestras started doing blind auditions in the U.S., the proportion of women in top orchestras increased from <5% to upwards of 25%. Gee, I wonder why.

Forgive me for not reading through 50 pages...but did Spitfire mention what kinda reverb the Ustwo plugin uses? Is it a stock algorithmic, is it a IR or what?

You do realize that Logic has had that for years, right? Probably before Cubase...;)

In Cubase you can set (in preferences) to have a track auto arm when you select it but in Logic you must do that manually and if you forget, Logic's "Capture Recording" feature doesn't work. It's certainly a great time to be alive. Especially if you're a Cubase user ;)

Top Bottom