What's new

Spitfire - Hans Zimmer Strings 24 Hours Left! ENDING Tuesday 5th June 23:59 BST

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
Sorry, only just saw this. No, I am using this library. That’s why I pointed you in the direction of “Dunkirk”. But one other small point... Christian Henson or Paul Thompson or Andy Blaney - to just name a few of the “Spitfire”chaps - don’t sound anything like me when they use the same library. Shit! I wished I could sound as good compositionally, not sonically as those guys do a lot of the times...
This is awesomely humble. It only raises my estimation of HZ more (and it's pretty darn high to begin with).

To the member who said Williams ripped off Korngold. I don't think he "ripped off" anyone...that's in the same league of argument as the people who claimed Goldsmith ripped off Williams for "Star Trek", or Newman ripped off Barber for "Greatest Story Ever Told".

Let's say John Williams' music at times bears the influence of Bernard Herrmann ("The Fury" is perhaps the best example of this, though "Family Plot" arguably bears it as well). Both filmmakers wanted Herrmann for those movies (DePalma lost out because of the composer's horribly early death, while apparently Herrmann told the Hitchcock people to...uhhh, take a walk when approached for the latter). The same filmmakers asked Williams to write somewhat in that idiom for their movies. Other filmmakers might have asked him to write in a Korngold-ian idiom. I imagine that kind of thing happens more than a little in filmmaking today.

In all the above instances, the composers took what had been done and ultimately, resolutely did their own thing with it, remolding the clay in their own image.

HZ 's most reknown style echoes Carpenter and Morricone and maybe Vangelis (whenever I'm asked what that HZ style "sounds like", I just mention the "Thing" and original "Blade Runner"). However, he took those influences (I might be wrong in regard to those exact influences, forgive me if so) and created a style that has had an inarguably huge influence on this century's film scores.

Au fond, he (and the others) "ripped off" nobody. Everyone has their influences, and everyone is more than capable of assimilating, pulling on and pushing against, and ultimately morphing them as he or she grows into an uncontestably individual style.

Wow, wotta rant. Sorry.

Last edited:

kais0038

This is awesomely humble. It only raises my estimation of HZ more (and it's pretty darn high to begin with).

To the member who said Williams ripped off Korngold. I don't think he "ripped off" anyone...that's in the same league of argument as the people who claimed Goldsmith ripped off Williams for "Star Trek", or Newman ripped off Barber for "Greatest Story Ever Told".

Let's say John Williams' music at times bears the influence of Bernard Herrmann ("The Fury" is perhaps the best example of this, though "Family Plot" arguably bears it as well). Both filmmakers wanted Herrmann for those movies (DePalma lost out because of the composer's horribly early death, while apparently Herrmann told the Hitchcock people to...uhhh, take a walk when approached for the latter). The same filmmakers asked Williams to write somewhat in that idiom for their movies.

In all the above instances, the composers took what had been done and ultimately, resolutely did their own things with it, remaking the style in their own image.

HZ 's most reknown style echoes Carpenter and Morricone and maybe Vangelis (whenever I'm asked what that HZ style "sounds like", I just mention the "Thing" and original "Blade Runner"). However, he took that and created a style that has had an inarguably huge influence on this century's film scores. He (and the others) "ripped off" nobody. Everyone has their influences, and everyone is more than capable of assimilating, pulling and pushing against, and ultimately morphing them as he or she grows into an uncontestably individual style.

Whew! Anyone need a No-Doz yet?

I appreciate the thoughts on this, but my point about Williams came from an observation directly made by comparing Korngold’s score from Robin Hood to Star Wars and Indiana Jones and if you do score study the familiarity is undeniable (taught at USC still). ‘The Fury’ bears more resemblance to a Goldsmith score than Herrman which is largely attributed to their similar styles of composing (Herrmann and tone row composition? I don’t think so... look at the scores please) .... Williams composing techniques including his love of suspensions just isn’t similar to Herrman at all. They asked John Williams to do many things back when he was known as Johnny Williams as they called him in Hollywood at the time of composing scores like the Fury.
Look at the counterpoint in Korngold’s score for ‘Robin Hood’ and then try to deny the similarity. I sense that there is a lot of ‘smoke screen’ going on to pass over my posts. If you need to eliminate my posts so they don’t hurt the sale of the library, just do it... but please don’t try to defraud my score analysis because I know(knew) these guys and I spent a long time studying them. So reading a simplified analysis by someone who clearly hasn’t done the work is just insulting.

Rctec

The piano was a killer. We tried so hard to get it right. All those impossibly quiet velocities played as evenly as possible by Simon Chamberlain... Just for me to realize only I sound the way I sound on that piano. Not better. Just different. That was weeks of work. Paul and Christian where ready to kill me...and yes, it’s turned out a bit odd. I know what it’s strength are, but that doesn’t help you. I have another piano idea, but I can’t bring myself to even mention it to Paul or Christian. There is a true magic sitting in that hall with that piano (“Interstellar” was recoded in there with 4 pianos playing simultaneously, and it was allway that piano that was the best sounding one -no doubt). One note takes about three minutes to record. Multiply that by 88 x 8 velocities... there goes the budget....
Yes, my own library can do things other libraries can’t. Mainly due to Mark Wherry’s custom sampler and Claudius Brüse’s impeccable programming. But we are trying to get closer by having the same players as much as possible in the section, using the same microphone techniques, roof at same height...and slowly, I suspect we’ll be incorporating some of Mark’s inventions and discoveries into “Spitfire”s sampler. But it will take time. We can’t just port across, because our sampler is written for very specific machines, while a “commercial”library needs to function on even win 7 machines.... as we just found out.
Just to put it into some perspective, we have literally spend millions on my personal library over a twenty year period. Each project has new technical requirements that Mark implements....so it just seemed to be reasonable to start working with other composers who’s work I admired. Because they are in it for the same reason as me: making the best tools for the music we want to write...the only “outside” Remote person to have my samples is James Newton Howard. And he writes - even when we work on the same project - stylistically quite differently to me. It’s not to impress directors or producers, it strictly about coming to the studio and spending all Day and night with beautiful and inspiring instruments...But I do love pushing the envelope. There is a sound that you just can’t get in a normally sized section. Not the Big Stuff. The quiet, silky stuff...

Parsifal666

Nobody's denying the influence...however, most of that sound came from somebody(s) before Korngold. It certainly wasn't invented by him...and no, I won't even mention where that sound came from, it's more educating if you find out for yourself. Check the late Classical and Romantic eras (though you probably already have at least some ideas).

See where this model of thinking leads? Straight up oneself. No offense intended.

This entire "ripped off/influenced by" thing could go on and on, the proper hat getting more and more suffocating with continued diggings.

kais0038

OK - well you are clearly more brilliant than both the staff at NYU and USC (which had Goldsmith as a guest professor) staff that still demonstrates the near exact melodic and harmonic treatment in the scores to this very day. But hey, it’s all neoclassical, which you would call classic and romantic eras... where the hell did you get a degree in theory? No agenda at all on your end? A flawed model of thinking leads to a flawed result. Stop embarrassing yourself. If you really feel you are correct, quote ANYTHING

Alex Fraser

OK - well you are clearly more brilliant than both the staff at NYU and USC (which had Goldsmith as a guest professor) staff that still demonstrates the near exact melodic and harmonic treatment in the scores to this very day. But hey, it’s all neoclassical, which you would call classic and romantic eras... where the hell did you get a degree in theory? No agenda at all on your end? A flawed model of thinking leads to a flawed result. Stop embarrassing yourself. If you really feel you are correct, quote ANYTHING
Jees, does it really matter?

kais0038

If an idiot picks a fight in a forum that’s supposed to be educated, would you recommend just letting it slide? Aren’t forums supposed to educated... or are they supposed to just be selling arenas?

windyweekend

Hi WW. We are working on Win7 compatibility if that's the only thing making you upgrade. I'd hate for us to force you into an upgrade if you ultimately didn't need to do it... Ben
Thanks Ben. I fear I may have delayed bringing some of my gear into the 21st century for too long as it is, so this was probably a good kick in the right direction i needed. I could have asked if this was going to work on my Akai S900 but thought better of it..

Parsifal666

If an idiot picks a fight in a forum that’s supposed to be educated, would you recommend just letting it slide? Aren’t forums supposed to educated... or are they supposed to just be selling arenas?
Did I pick a fight? I didn't mean to, and apologize if it seemed that way.

i’ll do you guys a favor, I’ll back down and you can spam with all the falsified info you want.
What falsified info? Couldn't someone accuse you of the same? My Master's is from University of Florida btw.

Nobody's intentionally challenging you, dude. I just wanted to (politely) point out the fallacies in your reasoning, not to mention how dismissive and ignorant it is to accuse perhaps the greatest living film composer (well, there is Morricone) of being a loser plagiarist. I'd be surprised if a smart person like you couldn't see that.

Jees, does it really matter?
Nope. With all respect to everyone, I'm out on the subject!

Anyhoo geez, wouldn't mind trying out HZ Strings! ;)

Last edited:

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I have another piano idea, but I can’t bring myself to even mention it to Paul or Christian.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this but, can you please bring yourself to mention this to Paul and Christian!! The HZ Piano is incredible so anything more from Spitfire and yourself (and that Piano) is very welcome. It's such an inspiring sounding instrument.

Would also love to see CH Vlog on the psychological aftermath after a HZ sampling session! haha!

kais0038

Did I pick a fight? I didn't mean to, and apologize if it seemed that way.

What falsified info? Couldn't someone accuse you of the same? My Master's is from University of Florida btw.

Nobody's intentionally challenging you, dude. I just wanted to (politely) point out the fallacies in your reasoning. I'd be surprised if a smart person like you couldn't see that.

There were no fallacies - you incorrectly quoted periods of music as they are considered in a collegiate point of view.
Trying to make an arguement that music is all influenced by music but always unique defies copyright law.

Nope. With all respect to everyone, I'm out on the subject!

Good move.

Anyhoo geez, wouldn't mind trying out HZ Strings! ;)

Parsifal666

Somebody went buh-byes.

Getting more curious about HZ Piano. I'm not the biggest fan of the instrument (outside of Beethoven's late era sonatas and select Chopin and Lizst). But I have and use the Gentleman a lot. May I ask what I'd be gaining from the HZ piano?

Again, honest curiousity.

Last edited:

Vik

Scandi Member
Getting more curious about HZ Piano.
Sure - and I also wish there will be a demo version of the HZ (and other) new string librarie/s.

I generally think that threads like these are very interesting. A major sample library company teams up with a major film composer, and discuss their product with potential users in a public forum, with the option to ask questions to those involved in making it before it's released.

There's a lot of questionable things going on on this planet currently (environment and leadership issues, for instance), but in a thread like this: nothing to fight about, really. Nada. Just a useful discussion that one may or may not be interested in being a part of.

Top Bottom