Spitfire for electronic/ambient music?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by unclecheeks, May 7, 2019.

1. unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Hoping some of you Spitfire users can help. I mostly create electronic/ambient music. Think Bonobo meets Telefon Tel Aviv, with a splash of Nils Frahm or Olafur Arnalds.

In this type of music I rarely do solo orchestral lines, and when I do I tend to gravitate towards cello (already have Emotional Cello, so I'm covered there). I often use pianos as well and pretty well covered there (too many in fact!)

I'm not looking for a big, wet sound, but more intimate, delicate textural strings/winds. I have my eyes on British Drama Toolkit, Tundra, the Arnalds libraries, and LCO or LCO Textures.

I'm leaning towards BDT at the moment as it seems pretty lightweight and immediate for getting some nice results. Generally I prefer not to have a huge 40gb+ library of which I'm only using just a small percentage, so that's another plus for BDT.

Anyone have experience using any of these Spitfires in the context I describe? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. HeliaVox

HeliaVox Active Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Olafur has several collections with spitfire. I have them all and love every one. I also think you should check out spitfire evolutions and Albion Tundra

3. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I think everything you mention works great for this kind of music, but Tundra and the chamber evolutions are definitely on the "wet" side. That doesn't mean they can't also be detailed!

4. 667

667 Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Evos and Swarms are going to be most interesting for you, I think. Generally you are best served by making your own sounds but perhaps they will also be good. Also, Olafur Toolkit has good ambient / synths, but you're primarily paying for the felt piano there so decide whether you need that.

Olafur Bundle is actually a good bet, I really like the chamber string evos and think I will pick up the bundle because the solo evos and above mentioned synths.

5. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    If you are going for the "organic" approach to the ambient/electronic music, I would highly recommend quite a few of their libraries both orchestral like Olafur's libraries as well as some of their synth based products, like EDNA.

Since their early days with Albion (Legacy, RIP), Christian did a lot of work taking the raw orchestral samples from their sessions and creating synths. Their reason for doing this was because they felt synthetic textures that you morphed and mangled tend to mix better with orchestral recordings than purely electronically derived sounds. This idea has been a cornerstone in the majority of their major Synth based releases both standalone and within their flagship libraries like Albion ONE.

I don't write in this idiom a lot but I've found their approach to those types of sounds very useful for that style and definitely worth your time to examine more closely. All of the EVO's are a must have. I find so much inspiration from writing with them. Below are some things I've created using mostly Spitfire's EVO Grids and synths as the majority of the samples. If you have any question about any particular track, just ask.

Cheers,

C

The Gentle Light of Dawn - Olafur Arnolds Evolutions (The original String Quartet one). Spitfire Percussion for things like bowed crotales. Orchestral Tool's Berlin Perc for the Marimba. I think I use a sine wave in the lower register to thicken it up since the EVO library didn't have Bass. I can't remember for sure though.

Serenity - Mostly Vral Grid from Albion V. The original Soft Piano from Spitfire's LABS. A healthy dose of Lexicon Reverb which I processed reverse Piano samples with. The Vral Grid has this lovely shaker sound that appears in the right channel mostly that I really love. It's subtle and has a light delay effect which is really cool. Listening back to this, I know I could have EQ'd and mixed a bit more but it is what it is.

6. Garry

Garry Senior Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Not sure I understood what electronic/ambient music is, but if this is it, I'm a fan! Really beautiful sounds there. This has me off to open up Tundra, and explore the vral grid again. Nice work.

To the OP - BDT is wonderful. I would say it is more brittle sounding (in a positive way) than the examples Chris used from Olafur Arnolds and Tundra, but I really love it. There are 2 main background patches (main and ensemble I think), which have different combinations of woods/strings, which provide a nice backdrop, and then a number of solo instruments for melody lines over the top. The cello in particular I think is outstanding. BDT is like one of those instruments where you can have little ability, and sound like a genius! My only issue is the re-bowing (in this and in Spitfire's solo strings), I can't get to grips with; I'd like to be able to control that, but it happens too quickly and out of your control for my liking. Other than that minor point, highly recommend it.

7. OP
    OP
    unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Wow, lovely tunes, C!! Especially enjoyed the second one, thanks for sharing. And thanks for the helpful info. For now, I've gone with BDT and OACE. Seems like those two should blend nicely - BDT for foreground, OACE for background. May pick up a couple of other ones before the wish list sale expires.

You said you used the og Arnalds Evolution on the first piece. Do you also have his Chamber Evolutions? If so, does the og Evolutions offer anything significantly different than Chamber Evolutions in your experience? (trying not to blow the bank here.. but I'm tempted!) Thanks again!

8. OP
    OP
    unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Thanks for the input, Garry! I took the plunge on BDT, along with OACE. BDT really does sound lovely, seems quick to use, plus the small memory / storage footprint is a plus for me.

... Exactly describes me and what I'm looking for! ;)

9. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    The original offers, aside from the full EVO grid patch, the individual instruments as separate EVOs. So, you get control over each player's evo versus dealing with a fully 'baked' patch like the rest of the EVO series. I wish they utilized this concept with the entire EVO range as it makes the orchestration side of writing for real players much more user friendly. Aside from that, Chamber Evolutions offers more in terms of expanded content. You get the Waves patches which are awesome. The overall quality of Chamber Evolutions is a step up and that could simply be because the budget was much bigger for that production. However, the intimate nature of the original OA Evolutions is pretty stellar. You can't go wrong with either option. In the end, you could simply complete the OA bundle around the holidays and get the OA Toolkit which is sure to add even more to your palette, especially with the type of music you want to write.

Best,

Chris

10. OP
    OP
    unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Aha, didn't realize the og OAE has individual instrument evos. Seems very useful indeed. Pretty well covered on the synth front, plus i already have a serviceable felt piano, so I'll probably skip on the composer toolkit. But OAE I'll probably pick up based on your suggestion. Thanks again, Chris!

Stephan

The Darris likes this.
  11. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Glad to help you out. I think you'll be happy with either options based on what you're after.

Take care,

C