Spitfire EVOs vs. NOVO

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Sopranos, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sopranos

Sopranos Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    How do the Spitfire EVOs differ from HY NOVO (string designer)? Are they both basically modulating some parameters to evolve over time? Would the difference really just be the recordings (space)? Are they capable of doing the same basic function?

Cheers!

2. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Always learning

Oct 19, 2015
    They are quite different. Spitfire EVOs are recorded evolutions, not modulated parameters, and are largely customized via combining different recordings in different ranges. Conversely, the raw samples in NOVO are relatively static (with a few exceptions) and evolving sounds are mainly accomplished through modulating an extensive variety of parameters and effects.

Sopranos and Goldie Zwecker like this.
  3. SDCP

SDCP Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Midwest
    Agree with WindcryMusic, they are different animals. Both very good IMO. You get evolving textures and notes with the EVOs, and you get more of a standard string section with NOVA. In addition, NOVA has some very odd/interesting dissonant sounds, but they do not evolve like the EVOs.

Sopranos and Goldie Zwecker like this.
  4. ccarreira

ccarreira Member

May 21, 2017
    Novo evolution start faster, evos need some time for the transformations.

Sopranos likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Sopranos

Sopranos Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I guess I understand the journey is different but is the destination basically the same? In other words, I understand the recordings vs modulations, but, is the end result basically evolving strings/textures in both cases? Or vastly different applications?

Cheers!

6. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I have to agree that Novo and the spitfire Evos are just very different in conception.

But the one place where I think there’s quite an interesting complement beteeen the two spaces in Novo Intimate Textures. See this thread, for instance,

https://vi-control.net/community/th...ures-in-orchestral-non-hybrid-contexts.76739/

For instance, check our John’s composition, linked there, where he mixes Novo IT with Albion V to get a very lovely effect.

jbuhler likes this.
  7. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Always learning

Oct 19, 2015
    I have both, and think the end results are quite different. Spitfire Evos give the effect of a group of string players playing different articulations or effects, but in a way that still sounds like a recording of real players (because it is). Whereas NOVO's processed evolving stuff usually sounds nothing like real players ... it is much more synthetic in nature (but of course can go much further afield as a result).

I also agree with @ism that NOVO Intimate Textures can cross into the middle ground between these a bit more ... but you asked about a comparison of the Evos to NOVO specifically, so that is what I have attempted to address.

Sopranos and jbuhler like this.