What's new

Spitfire Earth Edna...Thoughts?

redlester

I had to use an NI unreg tool from Native Instruments (somewhere on the ni site I think..I’m away from my computer now). Then just re-install using native access. You don’t need to delete or download anything new, just enter the serial and locate the library on your HD. Then it shows up in KK.
OK. Need to look into it.
A bit of searching took me to this, which is about Albion 1 but describes my problem with Earth.
https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004350973-How-to-make-Albion-ONE-appear-in-Komplete-Kontrol-after-updating-

Edit:
Now found the actual page on the same site detailing the process for Earth. Posting here for future information if anyone else needs it.
https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009789154-How-to-make-Earth-appear-in-Komplete-Kontrol-after-updating-

Last edited:

SpitfireSupport

Customer Experience
Owned this library since it's intro... loved it then updated it. Spitfire's convoluted instructions {or maybe I'm just stupid) resulted in the library no longer working

I emailed spitfire... asking for a redownload. I've done this on a couple libraries I've messed up... They've never bothered responding Haven't pushed it as life is in turmoil at the moment but I'm taking a break from any more purchases from them... kinda pissed but have so many other wonderful things from responsive companies that I'll just save money with the temptation tempered by a company which ignores me...spent way too much with them to be ignored...
Hey Vastman. Sorry to hear that you've had emails go unanswered, without knowing what email address you used, I'm not sure what happened but suffice to say, they certainly never reached our support department because we never leave a support case unanswered.

If you go to spitfireaudio.com/support and either use the chat icon in the bottom right or the "submit a request" link in the top right, you can send us a message and we will respond.

Ben

Satorious

Still having sample cut out problems, even after batch resave. Will try a defrag but have to say I'm close to giving up and finding it completely unusable. :(

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
So far, no issues with initial version and none with Update. Really enjoying Update and experimenting a lot more now.
(running in (2) PC Desktop(s), Win10 Pro 64 _1809, Reaper v5.96)

Last edited:

Brian2112

I’d like to add that EDNA is about the most bad ass engine you can throw your own samples in (through Kontakt editing of course).

redlester

I can confirm the method I linked to above works for getting Earth to work properly with Komplete Kontrol. Am sure this wasn’t mentioned in the upgrade instructions, they should perhaps do so in future as the same thing clearly happened with Albion 1.

Lee Blaske

I have a question for anyone who owns both eDNA Earth and Omnisphere. Do you find that eDNA Earth is mostly redundant for Omnisphere users, or does it add something significant that's not obvious at first glance?
I've got both, and I think they're different. Certainly, both products are very deep, and there's some overlap. I also think both products are great values, considering what you get. In general, though, I think a lot of Omnisphere patches are stand-up-and-salute, star-of-the-show type things. They're really big, hyped, and take up a lot of space (they're also very loud as they are loaded, and I find I almost always have to attenuate them a lot and sometimes roll off bass). Those aren't negative qualities, but I think it's the way EP and his team view the world. eDNA Earth, in contrast, is in some ways a bit more understated (IMO), but a lot of the sounds have more of that je-ne-sais-quoi that you can really use. There's a lot of width, depth, dimension and subtle complexity to them. They can make your track sound big and deep without necessarily taking your head off. I'd guess the reason why eDNA Earth has those qualities is that a lot of the patches start off using source material with larger ensembles of musicians. So, having both libraries gives you more options. IMO, one does not make the other redundant.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
I've got both, and I think they're different. Certainly, both products are very deep, and there's some overlap. I also think both products are great values, considering what you get. In general, though, I think a lot of Omnisphere patches are stand-up-and-salute, star-of-the-show type things. They're really big, hyped, and take up a lot of space (they're also very loud as they are loaded, and I find I almost always have to attenuate them a lot and sometimes roll off bass). Those aren't negative qualities, but I think it's the way EP and his team view the world. eDNA Earth, in contrast, is in some ways a bit more understated (IMO), but a lot of the sounds have more of that je-ne-sais-quoi that you can really use. There's a lot of width, depth, dimension and subtle complexity to them. They can make your track sound big and deep without necessarily taking your head off. I'd guess the reason why eDNA Earth has those qualities is that a lot of the patches start off using source material with larger ensembles of musicians. So, having both libraries gives you more options. IMO, one does not make the other redundant.
... started to respond to @ Geoff Grace twice, and struggled for useful words. Reading your post covers it so very well. :thumbsup:
Both are regular, top choices for me, without a set of readily describable reasons why.
I smiled reading your comments, having automatically reached for Omni Level-slider after patch selections. :rolleyes:

jneebz

Totally agree!! Just got Earth and I'm SO GLAD I grabbed it. The Pads and Strings folder is worth the $99. IMO the organic underpinnings of these samples doesn't shine through in Paul's walk-through video. But it's there...just beautiful and so refreshing.

And as @Lee Blaske pointed out, these patches have a quality to them that will sit in a mix really well right out of the box. Dang I sound like a fanboy, but I just can't believe I picked this up for $99. Best purchase in a long time. And as of right now, it's still at $99 on the SF website.

MillsMixx

Production Director/Sound Designer
Totally agree!! Just got Earth and I'm SO GLAD I grabbed it.
I couldn't agree with you more. I was humming and hawing trying to decide to get this, filled with a bit of uncertainty having so much in the AlbionOne & Tundra eDNA engines already...but i finally took the plunge and I'm not disappointed in the least. I've been sitting here and playing with it all night and last night having a blast mixing it with other library sounds (like Time Macro & some of the Evos) and came across this post again.

Although there are a lot of very strange unusable patches I think there's a goldmine of great stuff in there. Truth be told I'll never have to time to listen to it all in a lifetime. I find it amazing that all these sounds were created by orchestral samples. It's a sound designers dream. I like it much more than Phobos. I'm looking forward to future cartridges.

storyteller

Still having sample cut out problems, even after batch resave. Will try a defrag but have to say I'm close to giving up and finding it completely unusable. :(
You have to bump the sample buffer in Kontakt itself (not the audio buffer). Unfortunately, this will bump the buffer in all Kontakt instances in your project, but it does solve the problem. I was hoping this might’ve been solved in the update but it appears to still be an outstanding issue with the Edna engine itself.

That said, I love Edna Earth and use it all of the time. It has so many great sounds.

Top Bottom