What's new

Spitfire Chamber Strings 50% off?

I have Ark´s 1 and 2, The Orchestra, NI´s Symphony Essentials, 8dio´s Adagietto and Intimate Studio Strings plus Komplete Ultimate 12 and Logic with its huge library.

I really would benefit from SCS?

I ask this because i really love the sound of the demos (and walkthrough) more than any strings that i´ve heard, but probably i'm the problem more than my libraries since i'm nowhere near the level you all are. I´m learning (but i´ve also never seen 50% off on SCS and i have my eyes on it for quite some time).

Plus... i´m trying to get married.

Oh no...i think i already have my answer!

(Sorry for my english)

So far I only have EWHO Diamond everything (acoustic instruments incl. Ra and Gypsy), not interested in another vendor (I like to keep it simple). My one complaint about EW is I wish they also had a chamber strings - massed strings sound terrible to my ears in all contexts.

Thoughts on this library compared to EWHO? The problem is all the demos are slow easy chords (do they compose anything else?) - i.e. the stuff that sounds great. Give me Nielsen 5 and I'll know how it really sounds.
I find SCS does fast crunchy stuff well, and fast non-legato. In general its shorts, especially the spiccatos are great, and they run a nice range from delicate to very bitey. The one thing it is especially lacking I think are longer shorts (anything longer than staccato) where you have to use the long, but there aren't enough RRs and the sound isn't quite right for the most common uses. As with fast legato, you can get by with various cheats, but it's not where the library is optimized.

I find SCS does fast crunchy stuff well, and fast non-legato. In general its shorts, especially the spiccatos are great, and they run a nice range from delicate to very bitey. The one thing it is especially lacking I think are longer shorts (anything longer than staccato) where you have to use the long, but there aren't enough RRs and the sound isn't quite right for the most common uses. As with fast legato, you can get by with various cheats, but it's not where the library is optimized.

Thanks so much for the reply. I find long legatos with little movement between notes also easy in EWHO (this is why all the demos favor it), and too shorts like the spiccato/marcato/etc. I underlined the key point you made - this is the part of the articulation range that is most important I think. At least thinking about the traditional repertoire that's where strings spend 80% of their time to my memory.

Ah well, I'll continue to stick with EWHO then. Spitfire has grown its overhead and is running out of production options, hence the various speciality libraries they're doing now. I'd expect sales to become more common, but if the strings aren't focused on the midrange of articulations will probably never jump.

EW - give us a small string chamber ensemble library.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply. I find long legatos with little movement between notes also easy in EWHO (this is why all the demos favor it), and too shorts like the spiccato/marcato/etc. I underlined the key point you made - this is the part of the articulation range that is most important I think. At least thinking about the traditional repertoire that's where strings spend 80% of their time at least.

Ah well, I'll continue to stick with EWHO then. Spitfire has grown its overhead and is running out of production options, hence the various speciality libraries they're doing now. I'd expect sales to become more common, but if the strings aren't focused on the midrange of articulations will probably never jump.

EW - give us a small string chamber ensemble library.
EW doesn't seem to be producing major libraries any more.

"this is the part of the articulation range that is most important I think. "

It's mostly a problem for repeated detache notes in say quarter notes. SCS is my base string library and I don't encounter such difficulties very often. So no, it's not 80% of the time, not even close.

As a hobbyist, I feel like this is too good for me. I have Cinematic Studio Strings, love the legato, am satisfied with the articulations found there, and have a few 8Dio string libraries, and Inspire, which give a different feel. I'm not sophisticated enough to need all those articulations, although I like getting them in other libraries. Am I overlooking something? Is this $350 worth of better legato? Do you think I'm missing out on a chance of a lifetime here?

I feel like it's probably going to be 40% off in a wishlist sale someday. If I reach the point in my education where I can make intelligent use of this library, it will then cost me an additional [EDIT] $70. I think I can live with that.

Last edited:
As a hobbyist, I feel like this is too good for me. I have Cinematic Studio Strings, love the legato, and satisfied with the articulations found there, plus I have a few 8Dio string libraries. I'm not knowledgeable enough to use all those articulations. Am I overlooking something? Is this $350 worth of better legato? Do you think I'm missing out on a chance of a lifetime here?

I feel like it's probably going to be 40% off in a wishlist sale someday. If I reach the point in my education where I can make intelligent use of this library, it will then cost me an additional $35. I think I can live with that.
My sense is CSS has a better legato than SCS. It's why I'm thinking of getting CSS. CSS's legato certainly seems more flexible and it seems to work better at fast tempos. SCS offers a great chamber sound (CSS is a larger ensemble) and SCS has legatos for a lot of different longs. And the sounds of the longs in SCS are really quite nice and easy to use.

SCS will almost certainly be on 40% wishlist sale again.

EW doesn't seem to be producing major libraries any more.

They're coming out with a brass library soon apparently, big band I think. Plus they just did Spaces II (wonderful, I have it), the new Choirs last year I also have, and other voice libraries. So lots of recent new content, and new stuff in the works, one reason for Composer Cloud is it allows them a steady revenue stream to work on bigger projects. All these sample companies have a difficulty that the professional VI market is small and there's only so much you can offer. How many sample libraries can the market absorb? It's not like a movie or video game where there are infinite variations possible.

"It's mostly a problem for repeated detache notes in say quarter notes. SCS is my base string library and I don't encounter such difficulties very often. So no, it's not 80% of the time, not even close."

Maybe we're talking about different things. Problem with these libraries is we don't know unless we take the plunge.

Is it 50% discount on the core>pro update as well? And - how large is that update (in gigabytes)?

I was puzzled why this offer was still unavailable. Have just been told its "still planned for later today, but don't know when." I said I was bothered because I was offline for most of the rest of the day, and they said the deadline is going to be midnight tomorrow (Friday).

Maybe we're talking about different things. Problem with these libraries is we don't know unless we take the plunge.
yes, there's that. I have had SCS for a good long while and it's solid for most work. As with any library it has limitations; most of those limitations you can cheat/workaround without much difficulty.

Despite all the patches in the library, it's generally not all that fussy to get sounding right so, unlike many of my libraries, I find it very easy to use and it's pretty resource efficient, even with lots of mics loaded.

I was puzzled why this offer was still unavailable. Have just been told its "still planned for later today, but don't know when." I said I was bothered because I was offline for most of the rest of the day, and they said the deadline is going to be midnight tomorrow (Friday).

Good to know... thanks!

yes, there's that. I have had SCS for a good long while and it's solid for most work. As with any library it has limitations; most of those limitations you can cheat/workaround without much difficulty.

Despite all the patches in the library, it's generally not all that fussy to get sounding right so, unlike many of my libraries, I find it very easy to use and it's pretty resource efficient, even with lots of mics loaded.
I trust your judgement.

My wallet may not be your biggest fan though :)

Because it's offered when it's offered? I expect it to drop at the end of the London work day. I mean, just be thankful that they gave everyone a head's up a couple of days in advance. They didn't need to do that.

It must be taking time to hook up all those extra cooling fans to their servers...

I trust your judgement.

My wallet may not be your biggest fan though :)
This.

I don't need this. Well, I don't need anything really. My initial thoughts listening to the ensemble patch was "this is awful" but then Paul got to the individual articulations. I started wondering if I have some of that on my SSS, but I don't remember seeing them. It has some really useful legato slides and run effects. And? If he was doing the walkthrough on the regular version, it appears they do have lite patches of the individual instruments.

Top Bottom