What's new

Spitfire Chamber Strings 50% off?

looks like the best deal on the product yet, right? Probably better than intro or Wishlist sale?

@jbuhler - you get a lot of mileage out of SCS right? I hear they blend well with the Olafur libraries.

Also wondering if Pro is worth it.
The stereo mixes are really good. IMHO of course.

SCS is not at all redundant with any of the strings you mention. Indeed, the library is a most excellent complement. It would be a different question if you already owned Studio Strings, but even there, I think SCS has quite a lot to offer.
So its Studio or Chamber then... I will dive in the youtube clips again. Worth noticing that I am not a classical composer, but I do like to use strings in my songs.

Question.
How wet is Spitfire Chamber Strings? I dont like anything drenched in reverb.

Im also not looking for big Hollywood sound. I like pieces with some real exposed parts and more of a symphony or arranged style.

Would this work for me?

Question.
How wet is Spitfire Chamber Strings? I dont like anything drenched in reverb.

Im also not looking for big Hollywood sound. I like pieces with some real exposed parts and more of a symphony or arranged style.

Would this work for me?
Honestly pretty wet. However I feel the library would suit what you're describing. Like the small size has a brilliantly detailed sound.

Honestly pretty wet. However I feel the library would suit what you're describing. Like the small size has a brilliantly detailed sound.

Was looking at lightandsound chamber strings....on sale and really dry out of the box. Not as many articulations as spitfire though

Oh heck yeah! Oddly I was just about to purchase SCS last week! I would be so pissed if I did. Thank you Spitfire for reading my mind.

Such a great deal! I heard so much about this library as the go-to-chamber-library.

I wonder if it's a good addition to Alternative Solo Strings, Bernard Herrmann and Metropolis Ark 1+2 ?
But what about CSS or LCOS? I mean what I like about CSS is the soft and organic sound. But SCS is the smaller ensemble. I also like dry sound so maybe the LCOS - but this seems a bit too similar to ASS... And the close mics of SCS sound ok for me, way closer as the ones from Ark 1 and 2..

Do you guys have a suggestion? :D

I'm a little confused about the pricing of SCS vs SCS Pro. Pro is currently selling for $999 vs $699 for SCS. So is $300 worth it for some extra mic positions or is there more than that?

I'm a little confused about the pricing of SCS vs SCS Pro. Pro is currently selling for $999 vs $699 for SCS. So is $300 worth it for some extra mic positions or is there more than that?
Tomorrow, and tomorrow only, the difference in price will be $150. The pro version of SCS is just more mic positions. For this library especially, I find the additional mics quite useful. But you can do excellent work with the basic CTA mics.

FWIW, the SCS performance legato patch is still one of my absolute favorite patches ever. So easy to play, and sounds fantastic. Especially the Vilons I patch..., but really, they’re all great!

It sounds very impressive in the update video. Can it be played leggiero? Soft but dancing passages, Mendelssohn style.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow only, the difference in price will be $150. The pro version of SCS is just more mic positions. For this library especially, I find the additional mics quite useful. But you can do excellent work with the basic CTA mics.
Can you expand on the usefulness of the extra mics?

Look upthread: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/spitfire-chamber-strings-50-off.80604/#post-4366036

Stereo mixes are useful for RAM management, if that's an issue with a full template, or just for a different starting point from the default tree mic. I have one template of SCS with SSW and SSB that is all stereo mixes as a start point. You can use the gallery mics along with the ambient mics instead of reverb (or if you want a strings in the distance effect or perhaps to feed surround channels—though I've never done the latter). The outrigger mics (which used to be standard) help give a wider stereo image. There's also another close mic in the alt mics that gives a different sound (though I haven't used it much). Sometimes if you find a dodgy note in one mic or a phasing issue, you can find another mic that attenuates the issue.

So is $300 worth it for some extra mic positions or is there more than that?

Since there are just the new mics for the pro version, I can't say generally, that it's worth it. I think it really depends whether you would use them enough and if the difference in color is good enough for you. It's probably hard to decide that without proper comparisons, I still got one for the alt mics here:

I found the stage mic to be the most interesting and useful of the new mics, so I'd be up to make another comparison between the tree and stage mic, if anybody is interested.

Also, the stereo mixes should be useful to save RAM, but to me they don't seem much different from the single tree or stage mic for example. I'd be curious, if others have different impressions, though.

From less 'competent' position, much useful, helpful info ….. but struggling to put criticisms in context with this 'one-day' _ $150. cost option.
At $300. _ would definitely pass. At $150. _ really uncomfortable choosing. :cautious:

Top Bottom