Spitfire Chamber Strings 50% off?

Discussion in 'DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!' started by Carson, Mar 19, 2019.

1. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Hmm. Thought I owned the SCS (not pro) but it turns out it is the Studio Strings. I probably will really think about this but end up not getting it, as also I got the Symphonic Strings and solo strings during the wishlist sale. Very tempting though.

2. OP
    OP
    Carson

Carson New Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Are you not a fan of CSSS? I use it for live perf and prefer it to CSS.

3. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    The stereo mixes are really good. IMHO of course.

whiskers likes this.
  4. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    Im probably going to need someone to talk me out spending my money on Thursday.

whiskers likes this.
  5. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    So its Studio or Chamber then... I will dive in the youtube clips again. Worth noticing that I am not a classical composer, but I do like to use strings in my songs.

6. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    Question.
    How wet is Spitfire Chamber Strings? I dont like anything drenched in reverb.

Im also not looking for big Hollywood sound. I like pieces with some real exposed parts and more of a symphony or arranged style.

Would this work for me?

whiskers likes this.
  7. William Palmer

William Palmer Member

Aug 7, 2018
    London
    Honestly pretty wet. However I feel the library would suit what you're describing. Like the small size has a brilliantly detailed sound.

8. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    Was looking at lightandsound chamber strings....on sale and really dry out of the box. Not as many articulations as spitfire though

whiskers likes this.
  9. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    $119. ___ $350. Often advised to sort relevant, personal needs .:unsure: .... Easier said than done :rolleyes:

Robert_G and whiskers like this.
  10. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Would it be crazy to use Spitfire Chamber Strings as divisi for Cinematic Studio Strings?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  11. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I've thought about that as an option recently; also for the more colorful articulations that SCS would bring to CSS in general. We must both be crazy.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  12. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    Would you agree they are equal in sound quality and programming?

13. benmrx

benmrx Senior Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Seattle
    FWIW, the SCS performance legato patch is still one of my absolute favorite patches ever. So easy to play, and sounds fantastic. Especially the Vilons I patch..., but really, they’re all great!

14. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Oh heck yeah! Oddly I was just about to purchase SCS last week! I would be so pissed if I did. Thank you Spitfire for reading my mind.

whiskers likes this.
  15. Xilef

Xilef New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Such a great deal! I heard so much about this library as the go-to-chamber-library.

I wonder if it's a good addition to Alternative Solo Strings, Bernard Herrmann and Metropolis Ark 1+2 ?
    But what about CSS or LCOS? I mean what I like about CSS is the soft and organic sound. But SCS is the smaller ensemble. I also like dry sound so maybe the LCOS - but this seems a bit too similar to ASS... And the close mics of SCS sound ok for me, way closer as the ones from Ark 1 and 2..

Do you guys have a suggestion? :D

whiskers likes this.
  16. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    I'm a little confused about the pricing of SCS vs SCS Pro. Pro is currently selling for $999 vs $699 for SCS. So is $300 worth it for some extra mic positions or is there more than that?

whiskers likes this.
  17. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Tomorrow, and tomorrow only, the difference in price will be $150. The pro version of SCS is just more mic positions. For this library especially, I find the additional mics quite useful. But you can do excellent work with the basic CTA mics.

whiskers likes this.
  18. Gerbil

Gerbil Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It sounds very impressive in the update video. Can it be played leggiero? Soft but dancing passages, Mendelssohn style.

19. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Can you expand on the usefulness of the extra mics?

20. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Look upthread: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/spitfire-chamber-strings-50-off.80604/#post-4366036

Stereo mixes are useful for RAM management, if that's an issue with a full template, or just for a different starting point from the default tree mic. I have one template of SCS with SSW and SSB that is all stereo mixes as a start point. You can use the gallery mics along with the ambient mics instead of reverb (or if you want a strings in the distance effect or perhaps to feed surround channels—though I've never done the latter). The outrigger mics (which used to be standard) help give a wider stereo image. There's also another close mic in the alt mics that gives a different sound (though I haven't used it much). Sometimes if you find a dodgy note in one mic or a phasing issue, you can find another mic that attenuates the issue.

whiskers likes this.