What's new

Spitfire Black Friday Sale!

Thanks for your replies! And do you think you will use Aperture as one of your most important libraries in some projects? Or is it more of a 'one time use' gimmick? Or maybe a sketch tool which you can switch easily between string quartet and full orchestra but in the end replace the library to get the sound of better / more detailed libraries?

It's hard for me to say personally. I don't do super detailed compositions orchestral compositions yet. At least personally I'm not aiming to spend long periods of time on a single track. I know there are people out there who spend even months on a single thing, getting it to perfection, but I'd much rather focus on "good enough fast". On top of this, I really have zero aspirations for "realistic orchestral sounds" since I'm mostly interested into making video game soundtracks.

Taking that into account, I feel that Aperture will be a thing I'll continue using from time to time. I haven't delved deeply into it yet, and I have yet to look more into Abbey as well (only had both for a couple of hours). My overall approach atm is to sketch out the overall structure and then replace some parts where I really care, but not necessarily get into a 100 track madness.

Not sure how helpful this is, but I'd say you should ask yourself what kind of music you want to make, and maybe even more importantly what workflow you find fun. After getting AROOF + Aperture I realized I still want BBCSC since I do enjoy having some control, and since I don't use big templates I also really appreciate the nice Spitefire UI, as it makes browsing and goofing around way quicker. But honestly, I'm still a big noob, so ignore any or all of my advice :)

Thanks for your replies! And do you think you will use Aperture as one of your most important libraries in some projects? Or is it more of a 'one time use' gimmick? Or maybe a sketch tool which you can switch easily between string quartet and full orchestra but in the end replace the library to get the sound of better / more detailed libraries?

Although there is still a lot of stuff from Spitfire that I would like to have, I only got "The Ton" and will probably skip the rest of the sale (with the potential outlook of even better deals for christmas).

I think Aperture Orchestra is great, but after watching some videos, I am not really convinced I would really use it. On the contrary: sometimes more is less (in the sense that too many choices for doing something is not always helpful) and I have the feeling this would apply with Aperture Orchestra for me.

But I am sure that there are others who will really get something out of Aperture Orchestra and for whom this is perfect.

I also didn't get Aperture Strings last year (I only got "The Ton" which was my first Spitfire purchase ever) but now I really have the feeling that I would use them a lot.

I think it's a really creative library that can do both trailer-esque type music as well as classical. They could've also called it the Igor Stravinsky Composer Toolkit... those shorts!

I like going over the user manual when I get a library. Got BBC SO, The Tone and Intimate Strings. Out of these 5 libraries Ricotti Mallets is the only one that doesn't have a manual. Weird...

I like going over the user manual when I get a library. Got BBC SO, The Tone and Intimate Strings. Out of these 5 libraries Ricotti Mallets is the only one that doesn't have a manual. Weird...

I made a track with them yesterday and was also looking for a manual. I found this:

It seems to only describe the Marimba but the principle of the Patches is the same with the others.

By the way: when using them I realized that the Rolls for the Xylophone sound as if they where recorded with the Xylophone being in another position, when compared to the Hits. Can you confirm this?
Since the piece I made yesterday is mostly for Marimba, Xylophone and Glockenspiel, it's very exposed and I couldn't make the Rolls sound right when there are normal Hits immediately before. I endes up playing them in myself (using usual Hits), which is a bit disappointing ...

I made a track with them yesterday and was also looking for a manual. I found this:

It seems to only describe the Marimba but the principle of the Patches is the same with the others.

By the way: when using them I realized that the Rolls for the Xylophone sound as if they where recorded with the Xylophone being in another position, when compared to the Hits. Can you confirm this?
Since the piece I made yesterday is mostly for Marimba, Xylophone and Glockenspiel, it's very exposed and I couldn't make the Rolls sound right when there are normal Hits immediately before. I endes up playing them in myself (using usual Hits), which is a bit disappointing ...

Oh weird. Maybe this library was originally three different libraries? And this manual is something that was released with the Marimba one back then?

Do you think Albion tundra and olafur libraries are cheaper at the Christmas sale?
I'm not really interested in aperture.

AS BBCSO is quite cheap for me right now. So cheap that I consider to buy it. But I'm afraid of the Spitfire player. I read horrible experience here with the authorization, for example that you can't reauthorize and need to contact the support to ask for that.

I'm asking because I ocasionally have this problem with Windows updates or just when I upgrade my SSDs. I'm also afraid to lose the license when my computer will be damaged? How to they handle these kind of authorisation things? With Native Access it was always very easy for me, hence I prefer Kontakt libraries.

I got the ton, BBC core and haunted house. So far very satisfied, BBC being totally worth it at 220 E. Might upgrade to pro some day, but I want to get to know the library better first. I wish the core version had english horn and contrabassoon though.

Still on the fence, want to try to get into the BBC Core, I really like what it has to offer in terms of the possibilities and articulations, but the uncontrollable wetness scares me :D
Did some of you guys managed to do articulated music with it? Most of the demos of Core sound pretty spaced out to me, and it's probably because close mics are just not very dominant in that mix.
I wonder if it's possible to do something Steve Reich'y , more percussive and impactful in the transients. (like here )

Or should I look at some other libraries perhaps?

Still on the fence, want to try to get into the BBC Core, I really like what it has to offer in terms of the possibilities and articulations, but the uncontrollable wetness scares me :D
Did some of you guys managed to do articulated music with it? Most of the demos of Core sound pretty spaced out to me, and it's probably because close mics are just not very dominant in that mix.
I wonder if it's possible to do something Steve Reich'y , more percussive and impactful in the transients. (like here )

Or should I look at some other libraries perhaps?

Maybe a silly question, but isn't that wetness somewhat countered in the Pro edition with different mic positions? I only just bought BBC Core and am literally downloading it as I'm writing this, so can't really comment on how wet it sounds.

Honestly the reason I bought it is because seeing it for €181 (after BBC Discover and VAT deductions) just made me pull the trigger :D I know it's a dumb reason, but compared to some other libraries I bought that were more expensive and that I don't really use, and considering how much I enjoy goofing around in AROOF after just one day I feel like it might be a not-so-regrettable decision.

So after watching some Videos, I realized that the only patch in Aperture Orchestra which gave me a little bit FOMO was Col Legno. So in order to get rid of my FOMO I figured that I could try to recreate it with what I have, which is: Studio Orchestra Pro, BHCT a bit of Reverb.

Also, it's very fast and easy to do something like that with an Instrument Rack in Ableton Live - although I would like to have a bit more control of certain aspects.

Anyways, after tuning it to my own taste, this is now one single playable instrument in Ableton for me - but of course, it's less efficient (in terms of RAM and CPU) than getting Aperture Orchestra and for sure doesn't sound as good (in particular over the whole keyboard range). But it's good enough to make me smile and get rid of my FOMO :grin:

Attachments

• Angry_Shorts_Test.mp3
    449.1 KB · Views: 39
Maybe a silly question, but isn't that wetness somewhat countered in the Pro edition with different mic positions? I only just bought BBC Core and am literally downloading it as I'm writing this, so can't really comment on how wet it sounds.

Honestly the reason I bought it is because seeing it for €181 (after BBC Discover and VAT deductions) just made me pull the trigger :D I know it's a dumb reason, but compared to some other libraries I bought that were more expensive and that I don't really use, and considering how much I enjoy goofing around in AROOF after just one day I feel like it might be a not-so-regrettable decision.

It certainly should be counterable with a different microphones mix in Pro! But I was curious about Core first because of how much it offers for the price right now. I'm using a lot of spiccato type sounds, mallets when composing, and like to feel poky transients in those, and I wonder if BBC sound and Core in particular is too much on a softer side. Would really like some opinions on this!

Anyways, thanks for replying, and have fun with your new libraries! :)

Top Bottom