What's new

Spitfire BBCSO Template for Studio One, #oneorchestra

Manuel Stumpf

Hello All!

I have ported the BBCSO template to PreSonus Studio One :)
I hope it is useful for all Studio One users out there.
It can be found in the attachment.

BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.png

Normally it should also open in the smaller version of Studio One: Studio One Artist.
Does anyone happen to have this version and can check this?

If you find any mistakes or improvements please feel free to comment,
so that I can correct the template.
Thank you.

Btw: PreSonus has a 10 year Studio One Anniversary Sale on with very attractive prices!
Also including crossgrades from other DAWs too.
(No I don't receive free products, nor any other compensation for this :laugh:).

Edit:
Added version S0101_V001_BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.zip with the following updates:
  • Added the new Bass Flute, which came with BBCSO v1.1.8 update.
  • Added a routing scheme overview diagram.
  • Set all tracks to receive midi from all inputs, not only my specific keyboard.
Edit:
Added version S0101_V002_BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.zip with the following updates:
  • Added the new Cimbasso BBCSO v1.2.0 update
  • Added the new muted brass articulations and extended legatos from this update
  • Added a full set of keyswitch maps for BBCSO in Studio One 5

Kind regards,
Manuel

Attachments

• S0101_V000_BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.zip
    955.7 KB · Views: 301
  • S0101_V001_BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.zip
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 345
  • S0101_V002_BBCSO_Template_StudioOne.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:
This is great, thanks. I was going to make one but you did it!

Can you host this template on a 3rd party site and provide the link rather than specifically on this forum? I had to make an account here just to download the template or even to view the preview picture, and that might deter some people who could benefit from your work.

Edit:
Also, I noticed in the Hybrid template under the Untuned Percussion group, there's an instrument called "Untuned Percussion" (it's the 1st one in the group) and it has all the articulations loaded and set to Anvil, but you also have the Anvil as it's own standalone further down a bit in the group. This doesn't seem to follow the track convention like the rest of the instruments. Is this intentional or a mistake?

If it's a mistake, can you explain how it can be fixed rather than only replacing the download with an updated version? It would be helpful to know how you fix it so we can replicate the changes on our end so we can preserve any other changes we made to our own templates and not have to re-do everything we did all over again. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is great, thanks. I was going to make one but you did it!

Can you host this template on a 3rd party site and provide the link rather than specifically on this forum?

Edit:
Also, I noticed in the Hybrid template under the Untuned Percussion group, there's an instrument called "Untuned Percussion" (it's the 1st one in the group) and it has all the articulations loaded and set to Anvil, but you also have the Anvil as it's own standalone further down a bit in the group. This doesn't seem to follow the track convention like the rest of the instruments. Is this intentional or a mistake?
Before posting it somewhere else I thought I'd wait a little bit for feedback.

The "Untuned Percussion" track (which has all the untuned percussion patches loaded) is meant as a convenience for people who prefer to use keyswitches instead of single tracks.
It is correct that by default it is set to Anvil.

The BBCSO player also allows you to build your own master patch (all percussion layout on the keyboard):
Use this track and select different articulations while holding "Shift" key. Before you do that, you need to transponse the single percussion patches up/down the keyboard so that they do not overlap (this is done with the transpose parameter on the bottom right side of the BBCSO player).
Like this you can build your master percussion patch, that has all the percussion on a single track.
As this is not given as a default setting by BBCSO sample library, this is a personal thing everyone does different.
Edit: Building your own percussion master patch kind of breaks the ability to easily share midi files.
It would be good if BBCSO came with a master percussion patch by itself.

-> Long story short:
If you prefer keyswitching your percussion, you can use this track. Or if you want to build your own "Percussion Master Patch".
Otherwise you just ignore this track and use the single percussion tracks.

Question:
I meanwhile found out all the tracks had the midi input set to my specific keyboard I am using.
Did you have to change the midi input so that you can play the tracks?
In this case I would set all the channels to "All Input" next time I update the templates.

Last edited:
You might also want to play around with the attenuation I have set with the "MixTool" on all the reverbs. Meanwhile I have the feeling I have set it quite drastically low.

[QUOTE="Manuel Stumpf]
Question
I meanwhile found out all the tracks had the midi input set to my specific keyboard I am using.
In this case I would set all the channels to "All Input" next time I update the templates.
[/QUOTE]

I had to change every track to All Input and think it would be a better default.

-> Long story short:
If you prefer keyswitching your percussion, you can use this track. Or if you want to build your own "Percussion Master Patch".
Otherwise you just ignore this track and use the single percussion tracks.

Question:

Thanks for the reply and teaching us about this master percussion track.

Also yes it was set to your keyboard but then after I clicked OK in the dialog box it defaulted to All Input.

Updated the template (grab it in the first post of this thread):
  • Added the new Bass Flute, which came with BBCSO v1.1.8 update.
  • Added a routing scheme overview diagram.
  • Set all tracks to receive midi from all inputs, not only my specific keyboard.

Hello Manuel. Just starting into orchestral scoring. My main daw is studio one. This template will help me laying down tracks more easely. Best regards.

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for making a BBCSO template for Studio One Pro 4 users. Which is the DAW I use, but I haven't yet purchased BBCSO. :)

I'm still undecided if I need the BBCSO Pro version, or if the BBCSO Core version would be sufficient. Since I have many other Orchestral Sample libraries, including Spitfire's Symphonic Orchestra.

A bit off-topic, but if you have other orchestral libraries, how do you like the BBCSO so far compared to other libraries ?

Do you recommend the Pro or the Core version for someone who has other orch. libraries, from Spitfire, Orchestral tools, CineSamples, 8Dio...etc. ?

Also looking forward to see what Presonus offers in Studio One Pro 5. Hopefully they will add some type of articulation management system in the key-editor. Something like expression maps in Cubase, but better, easier, and faster to construct.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Most of the time I tend to hold back with my personal opinions.
Especially the taste of virtual instruments is very personal, and this is only a hobby for me.
But you asked. So here you are:

I'm still undecided if I need the BBCSO Pro version, or if the BBCSO Core version would be sufficient. Since I have many other Orchestral Sample libraries, including Spitfire's Symphonic Orchestra.
First of all. As of my understanding (I hope I am correct here) Spitfire Audio lets you upgrade from Core to Pro and the full money you spent on Core will be deducted from Pro. Basically you don't loose a penny by going Core first. :thumbsup:
Therefore I'd recommend first get Core and see if you like it (sound, Spitfire player...). If you don't, stop there.

A bit off-topic, but if you have other orchestral libraries
ehhem. Too many.:rolleyes:

how do you like the BBCSO so far compared to other libraries ?
The appealing thing is, it is one orchestra, balanced...
It does feel like one thing belonging together. For many other libraries the single sections feel often detached from each other.
For the single instruments you can probably find better alternatives for each. But as a complete orchestra bundle it is pretty solid.
The biggest difference to most other orchestral libraries is the room tone.
The room sound is much smaller than Air (SSO). But yet you can clearly hear the room.
To me, BBCSO sounds a bit like the Sony Stage, where Cinesamples recorded their stuff.
The sound therefore is a lot more closer/direct in your face. You have to figure yourself if you like that or not. This is one of the big questions here.
The SSO woodwinds sound more lyrical to me (might come from more vibrato and a lot of AIR reverb). Whereas the BBCSO woods are more polite/straight/clean.
Strings and Percussion is a highlight.
The people writing "epic" stuff, will tell you the upper dynamic layer of the brass is missing.
Overall the quality is good with the usual quirks here and there.

Do you recommend the Pro or the Core version for someone who has other orch. libraries, from Spitfire, Orchestral tools, CineSamples, 8Dio...etc. ?
Perfect package would be Core version with 3 Mics (but honestly that would draw away too many from buying Pro, so I can see why they have not done that).
Core comes with the Mixed Mic1, which is a very good start for orchestral sound. If you're more in these (over?)hyped things, you want to have the Mix 2 from the Pro version.

I have not done too many comparisons, but I did not hear substantial difference in sound between Core/Pro (as long as no additional Mics are involved).
However there is a big improvement in sound from Discover to Core.

If you can live with the missing instruments Cor Anglais, Bass Flute etc. (or fill them in from other libraries) and are not too keen on mic mixing, the Core version might be the sweet spot.
Especially when only looking for a another additional flavor, when you already have many other libs.

Pro has 20 mics, huiuiui. It is a heavyweight with almost 600GB :eek:
Spill mics is an intersting concept. Reminds me of playing around with these a bit more.
And yes, you want to run that from SSD.

So is it a must buy? If you have a ton of stuff, maybe not.
Otherwise already the Core version delivers very good value.
What they have packed here in roughly 21GB is wow. I can also see that on many mobile rigs/laptops.

Studio One Pro 5
Do you have any idea when to expect that? Do they have kind of a regular release cycle? I am relatively new to the Studio One universe.

Hi Manuel,

Thank You very much for answering my questions. This is very helpful. I really apreciate it.

I'm most likely going to purchase the BBCSO Core version. After listening carefully to some of the walkthrough videos, I think even the one mix1 mic option of Core is good enough, if one adds some reverbs to taste to add more depth, or character as needed, and as you mentioned, I can always upgrade to the Pro version if I desire to do so in the future, since there is an upgrade pricing path.

I also have most of the missing instruments in the Core edition, which are in the Pro edition, in other Sample libraries,ie. Spitfire Studio Woodwinds Pro, for the woods, Spitfire Solo Strings for the String Leaders, and many other options, so I can use them when needed.

With regards to Studio One Pro 5, well, Presonus seems to have new versions usually in May between 21 and end of May, and S1 users are anticipating it on various forums, so we might see version 5 released soon, but given the current situation with Covid-19 , things are not very predictable, including the release date of Studio One Pro 5. I guess we will just have to wait and see if they release it this month, or maybe next month.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I purchased Studio One and BBCSO core recently. I made my own SO template modeled from the LPX one. I feel like a new start with both additions. How much do you suppose the SO upgrade will cost?

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for the Studio One templates! I have gone in a different direction with my libraries (many Spitfire and some others) and so far I only bought the $49 Discover version of BBCSO to explore a bit. This may change on Black Friday, but I used the recent Spitfire Spring Sale for other purchases. So I wondered if I could modify your template to work with Discover, and this morning I did most of that, which involved removing the tracks and instruments for the many non-supported instruments and articulations and replacing the instrument for each remaining track with an instance of the Discover instrument with the best available patch. This took about an hour or so (much easier than starting from scratch!).

I still need to look closely at the many channels with buses, signal routing, effects, etc. and at least rename some things. This is a very sophisticated template and I'm sure I will learn things I never knew about S1 if I explore it a bit. I also have a lot of un-voiced percussion tracks that I left in place for now, thinking I may introduce a different percussion library in the template to fill some of those slots (perhaps the light-weight Spitfire Originals Cinematic Percussion for some of the instruments).

I doubt there are many on this forum who are using Studio One and BBCSO Discover, but if there's interest, I can try to figure out a way to share this modified template (with full credit to Manuel, and if you approve) when I finish it, probably by the weekend depending on my work schedule.

Thanks again,
Bruce Irving

Top Bottom