What's new

Spitfire Audio's HZ-Strings, buying it before April 11th ?

muziksculp

Hi,

With two days remaining to get Spitfire Audio's HZ-Strings at the Intro Price, have you decided to buy it before April 11th ? or maybe consider it later on, at the higher standard price ? or not purchase it.

I'm still undecided, but leaning toward buying it before the April 11th Intro Price deadline. This is a tough decision, part of me says buy, the other part says no rush, but the price will be steep if I wait. The third option is not buying it.

I noticed that the update that was released today solved some issues, but some users might still have some issues, so I'm not sure how to evaluate it after the update, we might see additional updates in the days, and weeks ahead.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

My philosophy nowadays is that if the only reason I'm buying a library is to take advantage of the intro price then I shouldn't buy it. If I followed that approach all the while, buying libraries even at their full price based on an immediate need, I would be ahead of the game.

EW was a good example, when it first came out Hollywood Strings was super pricey, by the time Play engine became a mature sampler, the price dropped considerably.

I bought it based on the early demos and have been very happy with it. Installed the update today but was busy elsewhere so haven't tested it.

I'm on a Windows 10 PC and haven't had problems, even with over a dozen instances and multiple mics. It's a strong computer and I'm running off an Optane PCIe drive.

If you write enough notes, eventually you'll have to back the buffer off or do something else to freeze or something, but essentially having no problems.

The announced update is out...why not just watch that other thread and check the reactions? :)

Same view as John G here. Not installed the update yet, but very happily using the library on a TV series at the moment and yesterday on a game trailer. The library really is superb: rich, weighty sound, it can be powerful, subtle, and indeed beautiful, so it’s very versatile. Very impressed.

From the update release notes that I read it does look like they’ve ironed out the initial wrinkles with some of the legatos that have been reported. If you like the sound, then don’t hesitate.

Has anyone tried to mix HZ Strings with a legato patch from another library ? (CSS, SSS, etc)
Can you mix it easily with other libs or the unusual size and mic positions make HZ Strings stand out too much in a track ? (not that it's a bad thing in itself, just want to know if it blends well with other libs too)

Has anyone tried to mix HZ Strings with a legato patch from another library ? (CSS, SSS, etc)
I've been fooling around with Mural (SSS) and HZS and they blend very well, but.. I haven't figured out a good/proper balance yet, but hopefully will have some time to dig in to it later today. HSZ has mic positions aplenty for a "smaller" sound, so there are plenty of options.

The one I gambled on, but it really wasn't a gamble tbh, was Sable that then became SCS. Close listening to the demo videos on YouTube convinced me that this was a good deal.
If you're writing music commercially and you can't make a ton of money out of SCS (Sable), then you're in the wrong business, short of using real players.

HZ Strings like I said before - just can't see a way forward on that one commercially on a personal writing basis.

I've been fooling around with Mural (SSS) and HZS and they blend very well, but.. I haven't figured out a good/proper balance yet, but hopefully will have some time to dig in to it later today. HSZ has mic positions aplenty for a "smaller" sound, so there are plenty of options.

@Tatu Could you upload examples of your results later today ? :thumbsup:

Nope, it sounds nice but I bought Tundra at half price a couple of weeks ago, so that’ll keep me going for a while.

May very well go on my Black Friday list though.

I just wanted to say there's plenty of HZS threads and then some, all very recent not to say uptodate, that ask and adress the same question.
It's not that I want to avoid anything HZS related but rather not make VI.C more Spitfire centric than it already is, piling HZS thread one after the other :)
I own and enjoy quite my share of SA products.

To Musiksculp : as I said, you seem too hesitant to make a plunge. If you dig every demos and walkthrough you've heard so far, and have the need for this kind of sound, plus no problem with forking the cash :go for it.
If you're reluctant because of the product not being totally ironed out, wait for - 25% that would probably happen at BF or Wishlist or whatever. Buying a VI is NEVER a question of life and death, especially when you're a hobbyist.
I now ask myself when confronted to the same kind of choice, that is jumping or not on an offer for a pricey instrument that I'll never recoup the money with (and never be able to sell back) :

What would change in my life and hobby if I do not buy it ?

You know, the other way round :)

EDIT :I'm not assuming you're a hobbyist,of course.

Last edited:
Can you mix it easily with other libs

Very easily, especially with samples that are recorded in a hall or concert space. I have been using them in a drama and they sound awesome. I don't know how well it would blend with orchestral samples that were extremely dry, but I don't use those myself.

or the unusual size and mic positions make HZ Strings stand out too much in a track ?

No. They are beautifully smooth and add richness without whacking you over the head.

It's almost laughable to me that people have mentioned the price so many times. I spent $4,300 on EWQLSO when it came out, and (If I remember right) $1,500 on Hollywood Strings and $1,000 on LASS. I recognise that those all had a lot more articulations etc., but I think the price is a steal, actually.

Top Bottom