What's new

Spitfire Audio | Originals Epic Strings

"live dynamic switching of shorts and longs". Please tell me is this unique to this library? I think this is what I am looking for but don't seem to find it my strings libraries, for example it is not in the SF Original Intimate Strings set, right? Just does not seem intuitive to have separate shorts and long for sketching out ideas if there is a way to combine them!

"live dynamic switching of shorts and longs". Please tell me is this unique to this library? I think this is what I am looking for but don't seem to find it my strings libraries, for example it is not in the SF Original Intimate Strings set, right? Just does not seem intuitive to have separate shorts and long for sketching out ideas if there is a way to combine them!
Intimate Strings also has a “Live” preset that does something similar with the longs and shorts. I think this is a really nice feature and combined with Expression and the Dynamic controls is very nice.

Simeon, please excuse my ignorance but I don't see a "live" preset in Intimate string to combine longs and shorts in any manner. As it is now, I will have to purchase the Epic Strings based on your video to get this feature. I would gladly do that, but I am afraid I will still not see how you get the "live dynamic switching of shorts and longs".

Oh, and while I have your attention, can you point me to the floor expression pedal that you are using?

Simeon, please excuse my ignorance but I don't see a "live" preset in Intimate string to combine longs and shorts in any manner. As it is now, I will have to purchase the Epic Strings based on your video to get this feature. I would gladly do that, but I am afraid I will still not see how you get the "live dynamic switching of shorts and longs".

Oh, and while I have your attention, can you point me to the floor expression pedal that you are using?

I just checked this, and you are correct, sorry for missing this.

Having several instruments with similar-looking interfaces sometimes gets confusing.
I thought that Intimate did indeed have a "Live" preset, but unfortunately, it does not.
What I am thinking however is to be able to recreate a similar effect using UNIFY and TWO instances of Intimate Strings (1: Long, 2: Short) and to be able to dynamically switch between them with velocity similar to what Epic Strings is doing.

recreate a similar effect using UNIFY and TWO instances of Intimate Strings (1: Long, 2: Short) and to be able to dynamically switch between them with velocity similar to what Epic Strings is doing.

OK, thanks... now running to Google to see what the heck is "UNIFY". OK, I am back. UNIFY is not what I am looking for! The complexity of level of my music making has recently exceeded my ability to understand much of this stuff, so I need to first do some catching up. But thanks anyway.

Last edited:
OK, Just recorded the video, give me a few minutes to edit and upload.
I think this could open up so many fabulous opportunities.
This video is like a drop of water in the ocean.
Stay tuned!

So here is my problem that Simeon identifies so clearly. I bought Intimate Strings and I love them, but I don't love the fact that there is no preset to combine longs and shorts. Turns out this preset is available over in Epic Strings. I do not know if this issue is common in other string libraries or not. So the solution is to buy Epic Strings to get my preset (pretty sure I will love the sounds). The UNIFY is just a level of complexity I don't want to deal with.

So am I being too hard on Spitfire thinking they should have provided the LIVE preset in both libraries? Can I ask them to fix this omission? Or am I being naive in this expectation?

Capture.JPG

spitfire If we continue with this excellent concept, I have a feeling we'll be getting Originals versions of ChamberStrings and StudioStrinds.

So far Originals have been based either on older libraries that are no longer available for purchase, or on completely new recordings. So, probably not as long as those two still are active products? :)

Greetings, Simeon ~
I realize you started this thread is a few months ago, but--as a relative VI-Control newbie--I stumbled upon it as I was searching around in BBCSO Discover threads. As it happens, I, too, use Unify and am over the moon regarding how our pal PlugInGuru has incorporated Discovery. Endless possibilities within, and I was particularly interested in how you set up the velocity switching between the different Spitfire Audio string/orchestra sets.
I have scanned Epic Strings, BBCSO Discovery, and Contemporary Drama Toolkit into Unify. I would further encourage @MusicStudent to download the no-cost demo version of Unify--although it can go mind-bendingly deep (which I *love* about the program), just skimming around the included patches is wild & inspiring (As of this writing, I believe Unify Standard is holding at $79).

Anyway, thanks for your enthusiastic demos, Simeon. The Unify/BBCSO union is addicting.

edit: spellin' R us

Last edited:
OK, i jumped on board and dropped the $90 USD. Since then my head has been spinning for the past 4 hours. This thing is a bit deep with a lot of concepts, terminology and workflows which are foreign to me. And for the first hour or two I had a buyers remorse anxiety attack. But then .... ...... wait for it.... ..... I was somehow, by the grace of God, able to get several of my libraries installed along with the free BBSCO Discover patch and the Spitfire Labs patch and the heavens opened. UNIFY appears to be the mother of all VST hosts. The layering of sounds from multiple instruments on a single track by playing them simultaneously is a bit new to me and was very encouraging. So thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I guess it was really just a matter of timing. :)

Top Bottom