Spitfire Audio Mural vs Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by dhlkid, Jan 31, 2014.

1. dhlkid

dhlkid Senior Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hi,

Anyone has both?

I focus on Long and Legato most.

Although I have quite many strings libraries, I still wanna grab something new for my music.

2. studioj

studioj Active Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I've been very happy with Berlin Strings... but Mural is certainly quite affordable and the sound is pretty great from the demos. Nothing has made me want to leap on it quite yet though.

3. TSU

TSU Active Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Mural - big and lush (but still detailed) symphonic band.
    Berlin Strings - only half section size compared to Mural.
    So I don't think it can be fairly compared.
    Also Mural is not complete yet. There are three volumes ahead.
    The first volume offers only Fingered (Slur) legato transitions and only basic articulations.
    Berlin Strings is much more completed library.
    So again - it is not a fair comparison.

It depends on what kind of sound you seek.
    What libraries you already have.
    And which developer philosophy you prefer.
    Strings is the base library for any orchestra.
    So if you go with BS you will be live in a more dry studio sound.
    Mural - more wet hall sound.
    And it will affect which libraries you will get in the future.

There is an opinion that BS don't need divisi because section sizes.
    (You can take chords and not sound synthy with smaller section sizes)
    It is true. But at the same time you can't get the big symphonic sound.

So there is several variables:
    - Room. (Hall vs Studio)
    - Section sizes. (Half or Full)
    - Articulations list. (Mural is not complete library, it is just volume one)

Hope this helps.

4. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    Mural = best British musicians, recorded at one of the best sounding stages of the world... .

5. I have both.

They are too radically different to compare given that Mural is twice the size player-wise as BST.

The two points you can compare are bowings (articulations) and price. Beyond that, you have to decide if you like Teldex vs. Air Lyndhurst.

Additionally, both now have enough product to create an Air template and a Teldex template.

What sound do you want?

6. TSU

TSU Active Member

Dec 26, 2012
    germancomponist, yes... the sound of Mural is just phenomenal :)

dhlkid, also keep in mind that in Mural you always can use the leader and close positions to make more close and intimate sound.

mickeyl likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    dhlkid

dhlkid Senior Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I mainly use VSL chamber/orchestral strings layer with Albion series+Sable.

But the overall sounds not lush enough.

8. TSU

TSU Active Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Then Mural is the answer for you.

9. OP
    OP
    dhlkid

dhlkid Senior Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Any big difference in overall sounds between the strings of Albion series & Mural?

10. TSU

TSU Active Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Yes. Mural is bigger and more lush.
    But they are both big. So I am not sure about "big difference".
    Also Mural has more dynamic layers and RR's than Albion.

11. korgscrew

korgscrew Senior Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Earth
    Do you have Adagio?

Bang for buck, its a beast of a string library!

Full and Divisi sections for all sections. Plus solos in all sections.

Its very lush, very similar to Mural but with 10 times more articulations and loads of legato types including sordino legato and 8 different types of short for each section,. Plus Sable fits in really nice with it too for detail, if you need it!

12. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cinematic Strings 2 is another option. Great, lush sound out of the box. It doesn't have as many articulations as some of the contenders, but you only seem to need legato and longs anyway.

13. TSU

TSU Active Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Hm... to my ears, Adagio is not similar to Mural at all.
    And for that there is many obvious reasons...

And it is not fair to compare articulation lists I think.
    There is only the first volume of Mural released.

14. korgscrew

korgscrew Senior Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Earth
    I wasn't comparing it to mural, more of an alternative to either BS or mural.

With right reverb adagio can sound lush. It all depends what you want from it.

Ive got the Albions, Sables and Adagios, they all have their strong and weak points. Using them all together I feel as though buying mural would be an impulse buy for something I don't really need seeing as I have it all covered in my collection.

Thats not to say I won't get it at some point as I'm a Spitfire Hoarder!

15. OP
    OP
    dhlkid

dhlkid Senior Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have CS2, not bad at all.

16. OP
    OP
    dhlkid

dhlkid Senior Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't have 8dio strings. I like their Hybird Tools 1 & Rhythmic Aura series.

Anyway. I read some place and said 8dio may release Adagio Strings 2 soon?

17. rJames

rJames Senior Member

Aug 27, 2004
    OC CA
    Hey Peter, since you have used both and are a connoisseur of sample libs, I'd love to know something very specific in a comparison.

I think I need the bigger sections sizes of Mural (and the natural sound of AIR) but I love the playability factor that seems to be BS; specifically the "With velocity you have control over different captured bow stroke intensities (soft attack, immediate attack, accented attack)."

Its the legato or sustains attacks that I need in a lib. I know I sound like a broken record on this point but I want to be able to easily blend in short notes and long notes in a phrase. Da-daa-daaaaaaaa, da-da-daaaa-di-daaaa.

When I asked Paul about Mural and this aspect he said, I'll have to hear the demos and make my own decision whether its right for me. He went on to say that I shouldn't have to use shorts in that kind of phrase (I was complaining about other libs in that exchange).

This is my only request for a lib. That I can play a phrase with short notes and long notes and that they blend easily. Most sustain or legato notes begin softly and rise in volume quickly... part of the expression for slow passages. Love that. But I need a quick attack as well, even in soft passages so that I cannot be struggling with the programming.

Can I get this from Mural? I already make the mistake of expecting that with CineStrings and am disappointed.

Ron

18. DocMidi657

DocMidi657 Senior Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Hey Ron,

I have the same exact issue you are talking about with regards to fast, hard Bow Attack and the Legatos of most libraries. I have a ton of libraries myself but not Berlin which appears to be the only ones able to do this.

Since I have a ton of string libraries, I am wrestling with spending on Berlin just to get that feature for playability without actually trying it and see how it feels and responds. I have a lot of VSL as well and emailed them about this ability and they suggested some of their harder attack articulations (velocity switching with legato within a matrix) but I don't think it's the same thing as what Herndrick at Berlin has done from his video demo. If someone with VSL expertise could school me on this I would be greatly appreciative if it can be done.

Dave

19. rJames

rJames Senior Member

Aug 27, 2004
    OC CA
    I glad to hear I'm not alone.

BTW I can almost get the effect I need out of LASS by moving cc1 way up at the beginning of a note and trying to invert the natural bowing crescendo built into the samples.

So, as long as Mural can do that, I should be fine.

I really believe that for what I do (for the most part) I need the bigger sections.

20. Arbee

Arbee Senior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Melbourne
    I hear you. I'm no VSL expert yet, but from what I see in Berlin demos and from what I use in Vi Pro, setting up Vi Pro to use velocity or speed switching for slot cross fades between normal and fast attack articulations should pretty much have it covered.

I'm looking for someone now to do the big strings comparison. Adagio/Agitato v Berlin Strings v Cinematic Strings v Cinestrings v HS v LASS v Mural v VSL >8o