What's new

Spitfire Audio London Contemporary Orchestra Textures – Available now

Sounds like a wavestaion in terms of the slow morphing pads or the more rhythmic wave sequencing the WS can do? I'm a sucker for the rhythmic sequencing moreso that the etheral morphing type of WS sounds.

From the demos, some parts sounded like the Wavestation morphing pads. I love it.

That is cool AND DARK - would be easy on the eyes - tell me how to get this pic? :)
I just went to the library page and right clicked the image, to bring it up in a separate tab. Then set it as wallpaper on Mac, or on Windows I think you have to save it first.

...It does seems a bit of a Time Macro competitor ...

IMHO they're not even close, and not especially complimentary. Time Macro is orchestral and melodic, Textures is very pad-like. Some of the Texture patches (mostly the pianos) can be played melodically, but for the most part if you want a lead voice or even a rapidly changing harmonic structure you'll have to get it elsewhere.

I've been dialing down the heavy reverb and delays included in many of default patches, and liking the bare hall sound a lot more. But even with the close mics those long tails will put constraints on how you can use Textures in compositions. Intros, outros, bridges etc are where it lives. It's really on the sound design side of things, seen in that light it's quite extraordinary.

IMHO they're not even close, and not especially complimentary. Time Macro is orchestral and melodic, Textures is very pad-like. Some of the Texture patches (mostly the pianos) can be played melodically, but for the most part if you want a lead voice or even a rapidly changing harmonic structure you'll have to get it elsewhere.

I've been dialing down the heavy reverb and delays included in many of default patches, and liking the bare hall sound a lot more. But even with the close mics those long tails will put constraints on how you can use Textures in compositions. Intros, outros, bridges etc are where it lives. It's really on the sound design side of things, seen in that light it's quite extraordinary.
Thanks for this info. Honestly when first heard I thought I'd ONLY be interested in the CLOSE mics for some lovely detail. I have enough pad synths and such.

They know where I live, dammit!

Downloading...at 10.3mbps. COME ON SPITFIRE! Better US servers, please! I routinely get 200mbps+ from Continuata and every other download service I've used. But I have said this so many times before...

A few months ago I put together some Kontakt + Omnisphere + etc mashups to do almost the exact same thing, in a very awkward kind of way (but with less 'verb). It got me a job! In this case LCOT had me at the Evo grid, which is a great concept IMHO.
i get 90-100 from SFA...IDK... maybe they're hammered on new releases.

fair enough, it definitely was a poor equation on my end. I still kind of get that vibe though, not necessarily that the style was the same, but that they're kind of filling in a gap with textures that a standard orchestral library wouldn't have, and are meant to compliment those standard libraries. IDK though, just a noob's take. At the end of the day, you have to decide if you like the sound or not, and if it'd work for what you want to do. I did and do, so I got it.

Not sure how the reverb is going to mix with other stuff yet, but not too concerned about that right now.

Time Macro is orchestral and melodic, Textures is very pad-like.
Orchestral I get, the melodic not so much. You can sort of use Time Macro melodically but in the same way that you can sort of use BDT melodically. But I take the point that you can’t use Textures melodically at all. A limitation, to be sure, but not one that would be of great concern to anyone who has libraries with melodic capability. More of a question: how do melodic instruments/other texture instruments/evos set with Textures? Does the hangar reverb play well with others? Looking forward to taking a good listen to all the walkthroughs and demos tonight.

I just don't get the EVO thing. It's just... I'm not sure?
Maybe the videos don't do them justice?

With most libraries, you play some notes and then something happens - one thing.

With EVO, you play some notes and then something happens - and then something ELSE happens, and keeps on happening.

I find them to be a next-level approach, allowing me to create textural stuff without manually drawing in a zillion controller curves across ten single-section instruments and spending all day trying to coax some motion, wiggle, and flow out of static sounds. Love that stuff.

I think of them as the best middle-ground between ordinary libraries (play a note, hear basically a static square wave with some reverb) and phrase-based libraries (play a note, hear basically someone else's piece of music or some portion thereof).

Last edited:
Top Bottom