What's new

Spitfire Audio London Contemporary Orchestra Textures – Available now

They know where I live, dammit!

Downloading...at 10.3mbps. COME ON SPITFIRE! Better US servers, please! I routinely get 200mbps+ from Continuata and every other download service I've used. But I have said this so many times before...

A few months ago I put together some Kontakt + Omnisphere + etc mashups to do almost the exact same thing, in a very awkward kind of way (but with less 'verb). It got me a job! In this case LCOT had me at the Evo grid, which is a great concept IMHO.

I was hoping there might be a discount for owners of LCO. Seems beautiful, but a part of me can't help but consider saving my budget for what else may be released this year.

I'm so frustrated by VI's like this.

They sound incredible, and appeal to my interest in using instruments in new ways.

And yet, I eventually get tired of them. They never change. They're snapshots of something awesome and fluid, but still snapshots. All the ones I own are comprised of different ensembles in different spaces. This would be yet another one. For normal people that wouldn't matter, but I'm increasingly anal about wanting consistency.

Before I could afford anything fancy, I would try to create my own "modern" textures like this given the standard orchestral stuff I had. Obviously that had limitations, but at least it was always different, and I had control over it. Maybe I should go back to that approach. My standard orchestral stuff is way better than it used to be.

I don't have anything but praise for Spitfire and any others who explore these avenues, though.

Developers are trying to reinvent the wheel. Creating your own does take effort. I'm thinking of creating my own vocal synths and using Kontakt what is was made for.

This library is great for Ambient textures, and magical evolving pads. Although I already have a few of the previously released SA EVO libraries, I think this one has a special feature. The Hanger's Acoustics !

I could also imagine using it in a synth based track.

Last edited:
I'm so frustrated by VI's like this.

They sound incredible, and appeal to my interest in using instruments in new ways.

And yet, I eventually get tired of them. They never change. They're snapshots of something awesome and fluid, but still snapshots. All the ones I own are comprised of different ensembles in different spaces. This would be yet another one. For normal people that wouldn't matter, but I'm increasingly anal about wanting consistency.

Before I could afford anything fancy, I would try to create my own "modern" textures like this given the standard orchestral stuff I had. Obviously that had limitations, but at least it was always different, and I had control over it. Maybe I should go back to that approach. My standard orchestral stuff is way better than it used to be.

I don't have anything but praise for Spitfire and any others who explore these avenues, though.
Hmm when you put it like that you have a point. With some effects on top though you could get different varyiations over time though..

Also... If you're frustrated by slow downloads, please do reach out to us at spitfireaudio.com/support and we can examine the logs

Well some nice sounds here as I play through the patches. LOTS of reverb on the far mics, no surprises there but fortunately the close mics approach a kind of almost dry sound that can be beefed up to almost any extent with the far mics alone. The hangar sound is quite nice and even unique, but a 10 second tail goes an awful long way.

VERY New-agey, I must say! Surprising considering the obvious comparison to the lean and esoteric LCO Strings which seems to occupy a spot on the opposite side of the musical esthetic. I had hoped those two would march along in synergistic lock step, but such is not the case, or at least they do not beckon me to use them together in ways I had hoped for.

At any rate, I'm tied up on a project that will benefit from Textures so I have no real complaints to make, other than a mild disappointment at the lack of a marriage made in heaven. Whatever else the Spitfire mystique does in fact shine through the cosmic veneer quite nicely and for the money I'm glad I picked this up.

PS, the Textures evo could greatly benefit from the individual sound patch volume controls available in the "new" Spitfire player. The individual Textures sounds cover a wide range of dynamics and it's easy to lose the quieter sounds in certain combinations. Would be nice to someday see a "new" player version of Textures.

I think I'm going to go for it. Still need to finish the walkthrough, but I love what they're doing. It does seems a bit of a Time Macro competitor like I first guessed, but I'm getting much more of a Thomas Newman/Johnny Greenwood textural vibe, rather than a focus on movement. So i think they're very complementary.

It does have an EVO, which we all suspected.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/london-contemporary-orchestra-textures/

PRESETS / TECHNIQUES / ARTICULATIONS / MICS / MIXES

TEXTURES GRID

INSTRUMENTS:
ETHEREAL:

• Voices (Sopranos, Mezzo Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass), Percussion, Cello

MERCURIAL:
  • Flute (plus Alto & Contra), Harp, Viola, Cellos

QUANTUM:

• Flute (plus Alto & Contra), Piano, Viola, Cellos

ASTRAL:
  • Percussion, Felt piano, Cello Harmonics

INDIVIDUAL TEXTURES

ETHEREAL

• Ethereal - Ethereal Tail (MW)
  • Ethereal - Ethereal Tail (Vel)
  • Ethereal - First Light
  • Ethereal - Ethereal Tail (MW)