What's new

Spitfire Audio Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations

Stevie

I'm wondering if one needs the Legendary Low Strings, if one got Albion 3.
The sound is very similar to me (of course, the room is different).

scoringdreams

Optimistic Member
I think LLS sound better than Iceni
Totally agree, Legendary Low Strings sounds much more refined.

I'm wondering if one needs the Legendary Low Strings, if one got Albion 3.
The sound is very similar to me (of course, the room is different).
I think it's another type of low strings sound, which has more depth in my opinion. There's also Albion ONE's low strings which do a pretty good job as well!

Flyo

Question... someone knows if the Sparkling Woodwinds Selection was recorded specially in octaves as the Legendary Low Strings? or a sum, overlay of 2 octaves of the Woodwinds that we already have in Foundations?

Paul Cardon

Ninja Otter Music
AR1 has essentially been Albion on steroids for me!

Does anyone have tips on blending Cinematic Studio Strings / Woods / Brass with AR1?

So far, I have faced success blending AR1 against the main Spitfire libraries, but when trying to pair with CSS for instance, I find the strings in CSS to be a little dark compared to the airy and silky strings of AR1. I don't think it's a reverb issue, but more of a tonal (bright/dark) issue?

Any tips?
SORRY TO DERAIL IN ADVANCE, BUT:

I sloppily matched CSS to SCS and SSS ages ago and haven't tweaked it much since. My current method is an absolutely stupid EQ curve that looks like this:
1614556157311.png

Plus a bit of stereo widening with a basic M/S balance control, and a few layers of reverb to push the result into a bigger space.

I avoid the mix mic and instead use a balance of the close and tree, avoiding the room mics entirely. The darkness and muddiness and shallowness of CSS is almost all because of Trackdown Studios, and the huge EQ scoop is doing a lot to counteract that, instead filling the body back in with smart reverb choices, specifically SP2016 tuned very tight for some diffusion, any of the EW Spaces "Stages" IRs as the main room, and some lexicon Hall for a bit of razzle dazzle tail.

You can do similar things for the other libraries in the Cinematic Studio lineup, but with different EQ curves. Generally, I don't need to cut too much of CSW as woodwinds can be alright with a bit of mid-heaviness, but my reverb setup remains the same.

CSS Dry:

View attachment compprog - CSS dry.mp3

CSS Mix (ignore the little bit of blackhole verb on the very end):

View attachment compprog - CSS mix.mp3

Last edited:

Flyo

Spitfire just gave me today another reason to keep on asking and wishing Standard Legato across all the Foundation in a great teaching recent video... and of course all the missed Arts.

muziksculp

AR-1 Foundations users, do you like, and use the sustained strings of the library ? or are you using other libraries for the strings ?

Thanks.

jbuhler

AR-1 Foundations users, do you like, and use the sustained strings of the library ? or are you using other libraries for the strings ?

Thanks.
I'm using them and rather like them for writing. Hardly miss the legato. If anything, they are more lacking in shorts than the legatos. When I decide I need the legato I'm currently using BSS, and to layer not to replace.

muziksculp

I'm using them and rather like them for writing. Hardly miss the legato. If anything, they are more lacking in shorts than the legatos. When I decide I need the legato I'm currently using BSS, and to layer not to replace.
Hi @jbuhler ,

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

I have decided to go ahead, with adding AR-1 Foundations, and Legendary Low-Strings.

I'm not impressed with the Sparkling Woodwinds expansion. Hopefully they will add the Legato, and more shorts for the Mid-High Strings. Those would be a big improvement I think.

Do you use the BBCSO ? I'm guessing it will also be a good library to mix with AR-1.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

DovesGoWest

Hi @jbuhler ,

I have decided to go ahead, with adding AR-1 Foundations, and Legendary Low-Strings.

I'm not impressed with the Sparkling Woodwinds expansion. Hopefully they will add the Legato, and more shorts for the Mid-High Strings. Those would be a big improvement I think.

Do you use the BBCSO ? I'm guessing it will also be a good library to mix with AR-1.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
You can guarantee that anything new added is going to cost you £€$50 whether it’s articulations or combinations etc

I still don’t get all those saying how great ARO sounds buts it’s missing xyz so they add all these other libraries to make up for it. At which point your not listening to ARO, either use it as is and add nothing then you can say how great it sounds or add other libraries to it and accept it’s just an expensive basic ensemble right now

jbuhler

Hi @jbuhler ,

Cheers,
Muziksculp
I don't have BBCSO. I do have SCS, SSS and HZS. I haven't tried SCS with ARO yet. The other two work well. BSS is not better than SSS or HZS in my limited testing, it just offers different possibilities, and ones I'm wanting to explore.

Passing on Sparkling Woodwinds makes sense to me. SW is a bit better on runs but not that much better. And on everything else, including melodic work, I prefer the regular ARO woodwinds to SW. The missing upper octave on SW is a major omission for sparkly stuff.

muziksculp

You can guarantee that anything new added is going to cost you £€$50 whether it’s articulations or combinations etc

I still don’t get all those saying how great ARO sounds buts it’s missing xyz so they add all these other libraries to make up for it. At which point your not listening to ARO, either use it as is and add nothing then you can say how great it sounds or add other libraries to it and accept it’s just an expensive basic ensemble right now
Yes, that does make sense, especially If one is after the AR-1 sound, then mixing in other libraries defeats the initial objective. I think it all depends on what one wants to achieve with AR-1.

I know SA will be adding more expansions to AR-1 Foundations, which is a good thing. especially if they provide a lot of quality content, for $50. an expansion. I really wish they had a mid-high Legato strings, that also offered more short string articulations. Also more perc. via expansions would be very nice.

Top Bottom