What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Ahh, the Internet. Where I can see something that I don’t agree with, and tell readers what I think. And then someone else sees something that they don’t agree with, and tells readers how to act.

I’m really not in need of calming down further: I’m not talking about how KC barbecue is inferior to Texas barbecue - you know, something of real consequence. I’m saying I don’t like the marketing tactics. Not too upsetting - just wrong. But thanks, markleake! The point of my post was, yes, it is likely a library, but the cagey marketing is trendy and feels juvenile, and is a little insulting to me. I won’t lose sleep over it, but I said what I said. Your mileage may vary.

It was quite a long post - so long that I have a warning at the top. jtnyc, if you like reading stuff like that post, great. If you don’t, ignore it. That was good advice, wasn’t it?

I’d like for us all to get something good and have our composing needs met, and I’d personally like it done in a less-sensationalistic manner. And I think that if they insist on this kind of marketing that they really should deliver something great - not okay, not a nice supplemental thing, not the same thing in a different room, not with a famous name attached but no greater functionality. I’m not suggesting that readers stop being excited. Or that they do anything at all. My comment is about the company.

I’m hoping that people who aren’t interested in this kind of response didn’t read it all the way to the end. Sorry about that.:2thumbs:

25 pages. Obviously, it works.

The first rule of Spitfire is.....talk about Spitfire. The second rule of Spitfire is.....TALK ABOUT SPITFIRE!!

I love it. Yes it get's on my nerves at times, but it's all part of the build up.

Bit like having a Christmas present in my house for a month, just staring at it. I know when I open it will be something I don't need... but I'll convince myself otherwise.

I love it. Yes it get's on my nerves at times, but it's all part of the build up.

Bit like having a Christmas present in my house for a month, just staring at it. I know when I open it will be something I don't need... but I'll convince myself otherwise.
Agreed. I'm here for the hype. It's great that Spitfire are able to do the whole keynote/marketing thing. Beats an email press release and I'm all in. Bring it.

I’m not talking about how KC barbecue is inferior to Texas barbecue - you know, something of real consequence.

Also, what's the difference between KC barbecue and Texas barbecue? Both sound delicious.

I don’t mind a bit of hype. The only thing I don’t like is when I take the time to watch a company’s promotional video, only to discover that it basically says nothing. Time wasted.

Since I work in marketing I am always surprised how well it works to arouse interest by mysterious announcements alone.
So I think they do it very well.

Also, what's the difference between KC barbecue and Texas barbecue? Both sound delicious.

Oh, my friend.

I don’t mean to launch an off-topic discussion, so let’s just say that one is at its worst still pretty great and one is at its best maybe okay and just leave it at that. Though if you are ever in Austin, go get some Franklin barbecue, and then go have what Kansas City or Memphis have to offer, and get back to me.

Oh, my friend.

I don’t mean to launch an off-topic discussion, so let’s just say that one is at its worst still pretty great and one is at its best maybe okay and just leave it at that. Though if you are ever in Austin, go get some Franklin barbecue, and then go have what Kansas City or Memphis have to offer, and get back to me.
I've had a lot of Austin area BBQ (including Franklin's) as well as KC and Memphis. Really, it's not even a competition—I travel through KC all the time and never find it worth the time to stop for its BBQ. I'll also just leave it at that.

Out of curiosity - is anyone else interested in having performance legato patches respond to UACC messages such that one could load both core and decorative patches and the performance legato and sul G legato patches in the same Kontakt instance on the same channel and switch between them with articulation switches, and the perf legato patches would respond as the others do, i.e. do nothing until they get their UACC message?

(With the goal being single tracks for everything, and not having to use the less- functional legacy legato perf palette patches.)

Yes there’s a workaround, but I’m hoping that in whatever new product is released this is a possibility.

Or am I missing something?

Out of curiosity - is anyone else interested in having performance legato patches respond to UACC messages such that one could load both core and decorative patches and the performance legato and sul G legato patches in the same Kontakt instance on the same channel and switch between them with articulation switches, and the perf legato patches would respond as the others do, i.e. do nothing until they get their UACC message?

(With the goal being single tracks for everything, and not having to use the less- functional legacy legato perf palette patches.)

Yes there’s a workaround, but I’m hoping that in whatever new product is released this is a possibility.

Is this needed if your DAW supports articulation sets? I'm not quite sure what the advantage of having them all be on the same channel, if you have articulations sets that will do the channel routing from a common set of keyswitches/articulation labels.

Oh, my friend.

I love the U.S barbecue culture. Here in the UK, "BBQ" basically means grilling burgers over "briquettes" in the pouring rain, also known as British Summer. "Pitmasters" on Netflix was an eye opener for me..

Anyway.. Spitfire. Not much else to say until the next hype drop I guess. In the meantime, I'm very much enjoying the SF Studio Orchestra.

Is this needed if your DAW supports articulation sets? I'm not quite sure what the advantage of having them all be on the same channel, if you have articulations sets that will do the channel routing from a common set of keyswitches/articulation labels.

I often work in Pro Tools, which doesn’t support that (but does support the insanely useful Composer’s Toolkit Pro from MIDIKinetics, which mitigates that somewhat). Cubase supports expression maps of course, so there’s that - but what I like about the single channel thing is that every patch on the channel listens to controllers even if it’s not playing anything, so that when I make an adjustment on that track of, say, mic levels on a patch with five or six different mic perspectives, every patch is changed. So the extended, core, sul G, and legato all change at once. That’s pretty handy. I’m only now setting up Cubase with maps to see if I can get the same behavior. If this is how you use Cubase, when you change to an articulation that’s on another channel, does Cubase also spit a controller update to that target?

I do just this with Logic's articulation sets and UACC KS. Works fine, for the most part. Load multiple instances in the same Kontakt and use a combination of UACC and/or midi channel to route stuff around.

I do just this with Logic's articulation sets and UACC KS. Works fine, for the most part. Load multiple instances in the same Kontakt and use a combination of UACC and/or midi channel to route stuff around.

Cool. And you have to use a combo of channel changes and UUAC, because Performance Legato patches don’t respond to UACC, right?

Wish they would fix this instead of my having to use OrangeTree’s MindControl to only enable the perf legato when it sees the UACC command that the legato patch’s creators invented.

I got the email a while ago....looked at the date for the announcment.....said to myself "come back to VI in 3 weeks and see what it is". Until then i dont care and this upcoming announcement has no bearing whatsoever on any purchases i make between now and then...except at spitfire...lol.

Because spitfire wants us to catch the bones they throw at us for 3 weeks....they are the one company i wont buy from until the announcement happens...so for people like me....they kind of shoot themselves in the foot.

Top Bottom