What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I want to up-grade from Core to Pro purely for the leaders and bass clarinet and Cor Anglais. I only have 16MB Ram. Core is fine with this. If I just use Mix 1 in Pro would Ram usage be similar?
I do believe ram usage is very similar unless you start using muliple mics. Obviously the extra instruments will add a little ram footprint if you use them. The tricky thing is, once you have the mics it’s hard not to use them. :)

Is it possible to split BBCSO into several drives, like Strings on 1 ssd, percussion and keys on a 2. ssd etc.? I think Ive read about it somewhere but cant find it.
Let me quote myself:

You can actually have different mic signals in different locations, i.e. have the main mic signals on a fast ssd, and move mic signals you are using less to a slower hdd for example.

On windows, under "C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Spitfire Audio/Settings" -> Open up the Spitfire.Properties file using word pad. Under the sample locations you will see a path for your samples drive used for installing. Place a comma after the file path and identically underneath, rewrite a new path to your 2nd drive. Save the file. This will allow BBCSO to read the two locations.
Of course, you could also split the sections like that.

I want to up-grade from Core to Pro purely for the leaders and bass clarinet and Cor Anglais. I only have 16MB Ram. Core is fine with this. If I just use Mix 1 in Pro would Ram usage be similar?
When you get Pro, just use the tree mic...MIX 1 sounds like ass...LOL. Once you see how the other mics sound, just save the defaults to TREE mic and you will be fine. when it comes time to render, then you can create a blend of mics that works for you, and save it as a preset...then bounce and make inactive...so on and so forth. 16 gigs is not much RAM...so a little TCL and creative workflow will get you through.

When you get Pro, just use the tree mic...MIX 1 sounds like ass...LOL. Once you see how the other mics sound, just save the defaults to TREE mic and you will be fine. when it comes time to render, then you can create a blend of mics that works for you, and save it as a preset...then bounce and make inactive...so on and so forth. 16 gigs is not much RAM...so a little TCL and creative workflow will get you through.
What Jake said plus: it also depends if you are only writing with BBCSO or if you are using a wild mix of VIs (especially, BBCSO together with libs that can be purged). I've worked with 16 GB RAM for the last two years and using BBCSO in complement with other libs works quite well.

Writing a piece with BBCSO alone however will quickly become tedious due to RAM limitations (you will most likely eventually need to freeze tracks, even if you only use 1 mic and only load the articulations you need). I've started to write something with BBCSO alone (+ 1 Symphonic Motions patch) and I didn't finish it so far, because I was planning on upgrading to 64 GB RAM soon and also didn't want to freeze tracks all the time ...

When you get Pro, just use the tree mic...MIX 1 sounds like ass
Beg to Differ. That would be Soundiron Flatulus.

Nothing wrong with Mix 1 imo when it is called for. It's helpful for bozos like me who get distracted trying to find a good mix and end up with something that requires endless fiddling as the project matures because I don't know how to do a proper mix anyway. If you're stuck with one mix, you're more likely to just say f**k it and work around it. Limitations begat creativity.

BBCSO Pro is certainly more versatile, but then again you can just buy something else that might work better anyway. That and the disk space required are why I never upgraded.

Nothing wrong with Mix 1 imo when it is called for.
The issue is that when you combine MIX 1 among many tracks, it gets muddy...no way is it good for everything. Personally it's too much, and you are stuck with someone else's mic mixes...I dislike it...tree mic is much more natural to say the least, especially with the cuivre patches. But if it works for you, great..I just don't know anyone who uses Pro, and sticks with MIX 1.

And "working around it" is a very poor method. Sure, if that is all you have, there isn't a choice, but it's not a great approach. The issue as with anything, is that in the wrong hands, more mics can get you in trouble, or down a rabbit hole of options...but if you know what you are looking for, it can also have limitless creativity. :)

It's helpful for bozos like me who get distracted trying to find a good mix and end up with something that requires endless fiddling as the project matures because I don't know how to do a proper mix anyway
I have found that a little time spent with the various mic mixes, is well worth it. In the beginning, I tried various combinations to see which would equal the MIX 1...then started eliminating mics until it sounded more natural. The cool part though, is that you can save preset after preset, then toggle to the original to see if it's better or not. I just wish they included a solo, mute and a mic group feature...that would make it far more useful to check mic positions.

The issue is that when you combine MIX 1 among many tracks, it gets muddy...tree mic is much more natural
I'll look for that. Haven't encountered it yet. Is this about lack of detail? I'd intended to just layer other strings over it if that's the case. Experiments with that so far have been satisfactory.

I've heard the conspiracy that Spitfire deliberately made Core's Mix lacklustre to force you to upgrade, but I dunno. How are they supposed to predict that everyone who uses Core has the disk space and extra resources to run Pro? Makes more sense Core is designed for hobbyist schmoes like me. :roflmao:

Which leads to:

And "working around it" is a very poor method. Sure, if that is all you have, there isn't a choice, but it's not a great approach. The issue as with anything, is that in the wrong hands, more mics can get you in trouble, or down a rabbit hole of options...
I'll have to trust that you have the experience to endorse that advice. I presume it is indeed great advice if you have a clear vision of what you want. At this point for myself, more mic options is just a distraction.

In the beginning, I tried various combinations to see which would equal the MIX 1...then started eliminating mics until it sounded more natural.
This is where my amateurish nature sets me apart. I would be spending this time layering in other libraries. I realize you then potentially have two or more sets of midi controls and/or tracks to manage, but thus far I'm liking that approach. Could turn out to be overwhelming, we'll see.

This subject does make me wonder, who is Core meant for? The answer could be on page 387 but I lack the stamina to search for it. At this point if Core doesn't work out, I'd rather just use something else.

I'll look for that. Haven't encountered it yet. Is this about lack of detail? I'd intended to just layer other strings over it if that's the case. Experiments with that so far have been satisfactory.

I've heard the conspiracy that Spitfire deliberately made Core's Mix lacklustre to force you to upgrade, but I dunno. How are they supposed to predict that everyone who uses Core has the disk space and extra resources to run Pro? Makes more sense Core is designed for hobbyist schmoes like me. :roflmao:

Which leads to:

I'll have to trust that you have the experience to endorse that advice. I presume it is indeed great advice if you have a clear vision of what you want. At this point for myself, more mic options is just a distraction.

This is where my amateurish nature sets me apart. I would be spending this time layering in other libraries. I realize you then potentially have two or more sets of midi controls and/or tracks to manage, but thus far I'm liking that approach. Could turn out to be overwhelming, we'll see.

This subject does make me wonder, who is Core meant for? The answer could be on page 387 but I lack the stamina to search for it. At this point if Core doesn't work out, I'd rather just use something else.
To answer one question…yes, I’ve the experience. I’m primarily a pro mix engineer for many years, so for me it’s not hard to get a blend. Also I’ve a good grasp on orchestration…but more to the point, core was not meant to be lackluster as there was only pro when it came out…which already had mix 1. So it’s a scaled down version if I recall. I didn’t buy pro when first released, so my recollection is a bit sketchy but I do believe this to be the case.

Mix 1 has not worked for me in anything I tried. If you compare mix 1 with just tree and close, I prefer the latter. Mix 1 is just a blend of mics, and can be recreated. In core, mix 1 also has no leader mics…so you’re stuck with not so wide panning. In pro you can at least use mix 1, then add the leader mic and close mic and then pan the close mic accordingly…helps to widen it a bit. And it just doesn’t sound clear when stacked. It’s basically the same mics on top of each other. Now this is also true for any library with minimal mic positions. However, I think it’s slightly worse with mix 1 only because it’s more than 2-3 mics mixed together.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Jake Jackson's Mix 1. It may not be exactly how I'd do it, but it still sounds nice and probably better than what most users can/will bother to manage with the individual mics. If the "Core" version didn't lack some instruments too, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people wouldn't need anything more than that.

Just for my own sanity, can anyone confirm that the bass leader marcato articulation doesn't have the low C? For me it only goes down to the low C#. Looks like spitfire forgot to put it in or map it.

Just for my own sanity, can anyone confirm that the bass leader marcato articulation doesn't have the low C? For me it only goes down to the low C#. Looks like spitfire forgot to put it in or map it.
yes low C only. Might be due to use? how often is it used as marcato? No idea...

Did anyone post this yet? Pretty incredible…

Sounds like wrong notes at 3:45 but easily fixed (unless this is correct but sounds weird to me).

All this on Core (encore geddit?) is amazing work. :)

Did anyone post this yet? Pretty incredible…

Sounds like wrong notes at 3:45 but easily fixed (unless this is correct but sounds weird to me).

All this on Core (encore geddit?) is amazing work. :)

Its not just BBC though. At least the trumpets show up in SINE player there. :)

Video description says: BBCSO Core, Junkie XL Brass, and Project Sam Orchestral Brass Classic.

Top Bottom