What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Regarding updates and whether they are behind schedule, how do we know what their schedule was/is?

HZS had been out for about 18 months or more before it had its massive update towards the end of last year.
On one of Spitfires Help section, there was a sentence that was something like: SSO Professiional will be released in 2019. Also, they said THE PAGE was going to be uploaded frequently, and the forum says trial period for a while...

I think inconsistent volumes between articulations is a thing that happens in every relatively big library you'll find out there, a good habit to have is fixing those when building your templates !
impossible with expression map

I don't use expression maps and I'm not familiar with it but, can't you just adjust the gain of your track? Or load a gain VST on your track?
The problem is expression maps are used to switch between articulations on one track. So changes the gain would affect all the arts together. Only way would be to separate out the arts which require gain adjustments, but then that defeats the purpose of the expression map to begin with. I guess there might be away around that depending on your setup and how the expression map is designed. Maybe someone else has a solution to that.

Thanks @ism. I should read through that thread more carefully. Personally I think that VSL SE is a fairer comparison with BBC SO, rather than the VSL Cube. But the points regarding the room sound apply equally here.

Lately I'm leaning more towards wet samples too. However, I am using the brass section the most from VSL SE. And from what I've read so far, that is not a strong part of BBC SO. Decisions, decisions.

hi muk!

check out my little vlog for some grass example...

Best,
Paul

hi muk!

check out my little vlog for some grass example...

Best,
Paul

Fantastic! Thank you Paul. I'm only waiting for the next sale on it now (hopefully springs wishlist sale), as in these times I can't afford it at full price.

The problem is expression maps are used to switch between articulations on one track. So changes the gain would affect all the arts together. Only way would be to separate out the arts which require gain adjustments, but then that defeats the purpose of the expression map to begin with. I guess there might be away around that depending on your setup and how the expression map is designed. Maybe someone else has a solution to that.
My laptop can't handle too many instances so my current workaround is to use key switches for most arts and then move out the really loud or soft ones into separate tracks. Overall I enjoy the sounds, just hope there will be a round of balancing in the near future.

Does anyone think that there will be a paid upgrade (not the bass flute, piano etc)?
Maybe for more instruments, articulations etc.
Or maybe a lite version with less ram usage and less stuff? Seems like the best way for Spitfire to make some cash... Would make sense for both Spitfire and consumers

Last edited:
Does anyone think that there will be a paid upgrade (not the bass flute, piano etc)?
Or maybe a lite version with less ram usage and less stuff? Seems like the best way for Spitfire to make some cash... Would make sense for both Spitfire and consumers
Think a lite version might be interesting... Not sure how I feel about paid upgrades though

For paid upgrades, what I was thinking was much more artuculations (like in studio series, there are a lot), and more interesting instruments (different ranges of clarinets, saxophone, trumpets or something else)

I don't think paid upgrades or a light version would make sense at all for this product, as it was intended to be a comprehensive universal library made so that everyone could work with the same tools and share the same knowledge.
Much like Albion ONE, it is a "starting point" library; turning it into a multi-part product would make it confusing and counter-intuitive to what is was branded as, in my opinion.

Yes, I agree, but most beginners don't have 9999GB ram (or a good cpu) to run this... And for beginners, I don't think they will use this much articulations.

Im awaiting some more updates to improve the libraries in its current state, some full ensemble patches and further programming improvements would be great. Thats the focus I would like to see rather than a paid upgrade. Of course some more articulations and more materials would be amazing, still awaiting that piano.

In regards to the ram usage, I think this is something that they should just be improving anyway with further optimisations and improvement with their new player. I'd be surprised if they were not working on improving that element with the BBCSO and their new player. Im sure they are.

Top Bottom