What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I still seem to be experiencing audio dropouts and performance issues with the BBCSO. I also can't use anymore than 2 mic positions. I'm using Cubase on windows, 64 GB Ram, and a quad core i7 processor.

If you're on cubase, check that your daw isn't using VST3 instance of BBCSO (Reinstalled at each update of bbcso (not optimisation)), but the VST2 instance instead. For me it was the problem.

Does anybody have both BBCSO and VSL Special Editions (mainly SE 1 and SE 1+), and can compare? I am using VSL SE as a filler mainly, for instruments/groups/sections that are not in the foreground of the arrangement. They are versatile, easy to use, and resource friendly. I'm not totally happy with the lack of a natural room sound though. Not sure how much it contributes to the end result, but I am asking myself if wet samples in this role could provide a more realistic sense of room. Currently I am debating whether BBCSO could fill that role.

Does anybody have both BBCSO and VSL Special Editions (mainly SE 1 and SE 1+), and can compare? I am using VSL SE as a filler mainly, for instruments/groups/sections that are not in the foreground of the arrangement. They are versatile, easy to use, and resource friendly. I'm not totally happy with the lack of a natural room sound though. Not sure how much it contributes to the end result, but I am asking myself if wet samples in this role could provide a more realistic sense of room. Currently I am debating whether BBCSO could fill that role.
There’s a whole thread that debates this, bitterly at times, but also with very articulate points being made on both sides:

And the answer is that there are at least two very different schools of thought.

I remain firmly in the school of thought that room tone is all but impossible simulate (especially the early reflections) in an *emotionally* satisfying way, and shifting from VSL SE (without MIR) to Spitfire was like suddenly being able to breathe again.

The opposite positions are argued so vehemently that I suspect that it’s not merely a difference of opinion or taste, but that there is something perceptual, ie at the level of neuroscience, at play.

But ymmv.

Reactions: muk
Thanks @ism. I should read through that thread more carefully. Personally I think that VSL SE is a fairer comparison with BBC SO, rather than the VSL Cube. But the points regarding the room sound apply equally here.

Lately I'm leaning more towards wet samples too. However, I am using the brass section the most from VSL SE. And from what I've read so far, that is not a strong part of BBC SO. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: ism
I wish there was a way to get the room sound to add to an IR reverb to make it easy to blend other instruments with an orchestra. Like if you buy the BBCSO, they give you a Maida Vale general IR to match other instruments. It won't be as good as the real thing, but would make it easier to match stuff like VSL SE with the library. Hopefully, someone does it before it gets torn down.

Of course, that won't work with wet sounds.

I wish there was a way to get the room sound to add to an IR reverb to make it easy to blend other instruments with an orchestra. Like if you buy the BBCSO, they give you a Maida Vale general IR to match other instruments. It won't be as good as the real thing, but would make it easier to match stuff like VSL SE with the library. Hopefully, someone does it before it gets torn down.

Of course, that won't work with wet sounds.
In one of Paul's reverb videos, someone suggested to make a reverb plugin from Spitfire, and Paul said good idea, so maybe if not Maida Vale, at least Air? :)

Air Studios have a strict 'no IR-recording'-policy, so that is unlikely to happen. With Maida Vale perhaps, I don't know.

Personally, my problem is not with matching a certain hall with artificial reverb. That part I don't find too difficult. Impossible for me, however, is to create a believable natural space at all around dry samples.

Reading a lot of criticism about BBC SO brass though. Can anybody compare VSL SE brass against BBC SO? Is BBC SO brass versatile enough to fill in the role of background (aka non soloistic) brass writing?

As an aside if you guys happen to own 2c Audio B2, there is a third party preset pack that is about matching Air Lyndhurst hall as closely as possible:

I don't know if it is any good though, as I don't own B2.

I used to have SE. I have BBCSO now. I suspect you know what my recommendation is. :)

Cubase prioritize VST3 if the 2 instances are available, so delete VST3.

Why would you not use the VST3? I never install the VST2s anymore. I use Cubase 10.5, and I don't recall there being an issue with VST3s in a very long time.

Does anyone know what happened with THE PAGE? It seems like nothing really changed for a few months... also the forum...

I didn't actually say anything about the update (also it would be nice)...
Seems like they are quite far behind on schedule...
No SSO update last year, no update for BBCSO, nothing on THE PAGE...

Anyone else dealing with inconsistent articulation volumes in the string leaders and brass? For example, col legno in the Violins 2 Leader is weirdly quiet. It makes it tough to use when you just have the leaders playing.

Reactions: AEF
I think inconsistent volumes between articulations is a thing that happens in every relatively big library you'll find out there, a good habit to have is fixing those when building your templates !

Regarding updates and whether they are behind schedule, how do we know what their schedule was/is?

HZS had been out for about 18 months or more before it had its massive update towards the end of last year.

2nd violin’s spiccato sounds loose and quite different from the rest of the string section. I’m wondering why is that?

Top Bottom