What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Ahhh, Fodderstompf, my favorite PIL song!

I love that track, yes, but for me their greatest moment was their first single. John Lydon's greatest achievement lyrically, added to that incredible Jah Wobble bass line and Keith Levine's wonderful guitar which, if I allow myself to be kind of synaesthetic for a moment, sounds like sheets of glass coming out of the speakers. Absolute masterpiece.

Oh and that incredible OGWT appearance doing Poptones and Careering, cue Annie Nightingale "That is the most powerful performance I've ever seen on Whistle Test"...

I might be straying off the subject a bit, forgive me. But the thread is a bit slow now the chocolate chat has stopped. ;)

Just saw spitfire released an update for HZ Strings. Hopefully it addresses some of the things people mentioned in this thread (I guess that could be a good sign also for BBC SO)

Hopefully it is a good sign for their plans for the BBCSO. The update for hans zimmer strings certainly looks good and if they have done this for hans zimmer strings then hopefully they are planning on doing similar for the BBCSO :)

Hopefully it is a good sign for their plans for the BBCSO. The update for hans zimmer strings certainly looks good and if they have done this for hans zimmer strings then hopefully they are planning on doing similar for the BBCSO :)

I very much hope that this is an indication of Spitfire's path forward with BBCSO and other existing libraries. They did just do a similar free update to Solo Strings, so maybe this is a pattern. It is awesome to see them improving older libraries rather than just pushing on to the next new one.

What worries me the most is that Maida Vale is slated for destruction. Doubt there'll be many improvements after that.

my next macbook! Mine is a 2013 retina. Crazy how well it runs after almost 7 years, but that 16" seems future proof enough

Same setup & project here.
I must say that my MBP still behaves remarkably well.
Only 16GB is too little for my orchestral projects right now.
Other than this (recording / mixing / etc.) it's perfect.

True, that’s the one I’m still using, a 2012 MBP 15” 2.6GHz 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD. But I should upgrade now.

Apple produced some bulletproof laptops c.2012-2013. With a speedy new SSD and maxed out RAM many are still fine for daily use and more.
My mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro i7, 2.7GHz is still the laptop that I use for teaching and almost all my ordinary computer tasks. It's the last of the non-retinas (though it has user upgradeable RAM and SATA internal drive (long since upgraded with an SSD) and the DVD drive). It's still a perfectly serviceable machine and indeed until the latest round of Apple laptops came out I saw nothing from Apple that would have offered a significant improvement and many things that would have been deprecated on the newer machines. The only issues I'm having with it now (knock on virtual wood), is the headphone jack and one of the two USB3 ports are getting a bit wonky and so I need to be a bit careful inserting things into it. I don't use it for music production any longer, but 16GB of RAM was sufficient for almost any task other than working with large sample libraries and the CPU could handle a reasonable number of plug-ins/synths back when I used it that way. I still do quite a lot of rudimentary video editing on it. It's just been a very good machine, and even though the current laptops do look good and now seem like they will overall deliver an improvement in performance, I still would prefer to stick with this machine.

ETA: I should point out this machine goes into my bag every day, and I travel with it all the time as well, so it has proved to be a very rugged machine as well.

Apple produced some bulletproof laptops c.2012-2013. With a speedy new SSD and maxed out RAM many are still fine for daily use and more.

Same here, still rocking a mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro on the side, had RAM & SSD upgrades and works like a charm — it'll soon be in need of a new battery though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom