What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Of course, but I'm talking here specifically of the objective relative value of two different deals offered within mere weeks so let's assume that those that are upset purchased because they believed it was the best deal for a specific period.

Normally I'd agree with you with respect to spitfires approach to their customers but let's not pretend people are upset just because they bought something in November and it went on sale again in a few months. We're talking about intro ending Nov. 7th and then Nov. 28th going on sale again but now you can get a pretty nice sounding string library. If you purchased because you believed the preorder would be the best way to purchase BBCSO (for a REASONABLE amount of time and as indicated by Spitfire) it would be hard not to feel a bit of a sucker if actually the (objectively) best way was less than 3 weeks later.

And of course, Aperture is not tied to BBCSO but that's not really the point. It's about the relative value of two different POTENTIAL deals held within a few weeks of each other. If someone was upset because they purchased in November and at Christmas this aperture deal happened, I'd say stop moaning that's how these deals work. But in this case, it does feel a little disingenuous for them to say "this is the best deal" if they also knew that if customers waited just a few more weeks they could also get a pretty sweet string library.

Again, I personally am not that bothered by it. But objectively, I can understand in this set of circumstances why people are upset about it.
I got you and we agree pretty much I would like to just narrow down exactly who we are talking about at this point.

Someone who wants BBC enough to:

1. Get it right away, knowing there will be issues. It's not even a kontakt lib. From what I've read these issues are resolved. Being an early adopter is a fun, but not necessarily professional, endeavor. People who don't know this find out quick.

2. Pay $750 for it, knowing they have at most until Spring until that price goes down. Knowing black Friday is a couple weeks away, and that surely there will be more cool stuff happening like the ton and aperture.

3. Cares about this price club with a 1 month window, but not about a 5 month window whatsoever.

4. Had $750 lying around for BBC but just can't figure out where to find another $350 for more stuff. For the sake of a freebie no less. Just so they can feel better about buying a great library at a great price just a couple weeks ago.

5. Is waaaaay too concerned about the quality of the deal, to this specifically ridiculous degree, rather than using the library

We simply disagree on how much sympathy we have for this miserable unicorn of a sample library collector 😛

I got you and we agree pretty much I would like to just narrow down exactly who we are talking about at this point.

Someone who wants BBC enough to:

1. Get it right away, knowing there will be issues. It's not even a kontakt lib. From what I've read these issues are resolved. Being an early adopter is a fun, but not necessarily professional, endeavor. People who don't know this find out quick.

Yes.

2. Pay $750 for it, knowing they have at most until Spring until that price goes down. Knowing black Friday is a couple weeks away, and that surely there will be more cool stuff happening like the ton and aperture.

Not sure I agree that it would have been reasonable to assume "cool stuff" like a free library with qualifying purchase would be on the cards in a few weeks. especially if SFA were actively saying this would be the best "Deal".

3. Cares about this price club with a 1 month window, but not about a 5 month window whatsoever.

Yes.

4. Had $750 lying around for BBC but just can't figure out where to find another $350 for more stuff. For the sake of a freebie no less. Just so they can feel better about buying a great library at a great price just a couple weeks ago.

Whether they have the money to spend or not isn't really relevant.

5. Is waaaaay too concerned about the quality of the deal, to this specifically ridiculous degree, rather than using the library.

You're overstating how "ridiculous" the degree of the concern is when generally we're just talking about people expressing an opinion in good faith on the forum. I'd also argue that it's physically possible to write a couple posts on the Internet while also using the library. :)

We simply disagree on how much sympathy we have for this miserable unicorn of a sample library collector 😛

Yes, but I'd also disagree as to how much he/she is a unicorn.

I'd also throw out that personally I don't think this will be the last we'll see of the Aperture library anyway. I don't buy the idea that they developed a library only to offer it for free for a few days. I think it will be part of a bigger library down the line, especially if it seems people are responding well to it.

Yes.

Not sure I agree that it would have been reasonable to assume "cool stuff" like a free library with qualifying purchase would be on the cards in a few weeks. especially if SFA were actively saying this would be the best "Deal".

Yes.

You're overstating how "ridiculous" the degree of the concern is when generally we're just talking about people expressing an opinion in good faith on the forum. I'd also argue that it's physically possible to write a couple posts on the Internet while also using the library. :)

Yes, but I'd also disagree as to how much he/she is a unicorn.

I'd also throw out that personally I don't think this will be the last we'll see of the Aperture library anyway. I don't buy the idea that they developed a library only to offer it for free for a few days. I think it will be part of a bigger library down the line, especially if it seems people are responding well to it.
Money is the most relevant thing here. The way a few very rare people feel about others getting similar and, contextually better in the slightest of ways, deals. Rather than the product itself, that's what I'm saying.

People who are fans of complaining on forums, rather than the subject matter of the forum. That's the other issue that I really don't care to unpack even though I've cut the tape on the box.

Being an early adopter is a fun, but not necessarily professional, endeavor. People who don't know this find out quick.
And pre-ordered Junky XL Brass with OT's new sample player, just to get BBCSO out of focus for now. ;)
Here I don't agree. It seems to me that some people feel a devaluation of an expensive purchase. They bought early, others buying later get more (Aperture). Even if this freebie is not tied to BBCSO, sort of buyers remorse of early BBCSO adopters kicks in. Them unhappy. To a certain extent, I can understand that. Especially those will develop negative feelings for whom the early BBCSO purchase was close to the financial pain threshold. I assume that there are quite a few of them, as Spitfire's marketing was phenomenal and has certainly moved many people to buy who would not normally buy in this price range.

So it may perfectly be the case that some don't have another $350 lying around and feel "locked out" of Aperture, feel treated unequally. It won't even comfort them that we have probably not seen the last aperturesque offer from SF.

Last edited:
You know what, guys? I had a change of heart.

Last week I went to the local Iced Creame Shoppe, and they had this new $10 chocolate sundae, on a intro price of $7.50. The manager assured me it would be back to $10 until next month when it will cost a mere $6.00 (fingers crossed but no big deal)

Just got back from there, today's the biggest iced creame event of the year. But wouldn't ya know it? That new $10 sundae was only $7.50 again!

Not only that. Anybody who buys $3.50 of iced creame?

Free miniature candy cane.

What am I supposed to do, buy a sorbet?!

I dunno, friends. Got some negative feelings. Lost a little trust.

One thing that you should know. This is a special type of iced creame. You buy it once, and it lasts forever. Literally a lifetime. And what's more?

People pay me to eat it. I make a living because people love to watch me eat iced creame.

You know what, guys? I had a change of heart.

Last week I went to the local Iced Creame Shoppe, and they had this new $10 chocolate sundae, on a intro price of $7.50. The manager assured me it would be back to $10 until next month when it will cost a mere $6.00 (fingers crossed but no big deal)

Just got back from there, today's the biggest iced creame event of the year. But wouldn't ya know it? That new $10 sundae was only $7.50 again!

Not only that. Anybody who buys $3.50 of iced creame?

Free miniature candy cane.

What am I supposed to do, buy a sorbet?!

I dunno, friends. Got some negative feelings. Lost a little trust.

One thing that you should know. This is a special type of iced creame. You buy it once, and it lasts forever. Literally a lifetime. And what's more?

People pay me to eat it. I make a living because people love to watch me eat iced creame.
TBH, that sort of offer leaves me cold. :whistling:

For the ones that find this usefull information. I created a template in VEP with all the basic articulations loaded and it saved me 17 GB... My Cubase project with instruments tracks started to take 54 GB, looked less at first, but slowly grew. In VEP7 the exact same articulations take only 37 GB

For the ones that find this usefull information. I created a template in VEP with all the basic articulations loaded and it saved me 17 GB... My Cubase project with instruments tracks started to take 54 GB, looked less at first, but slowly grew. In VEP7 the exact same articulations take only 37 GB
That is interesting. When I used Cubase on the Mac, I always hosted in VEP for stability. Using VEP with Logic doesn't seem to affect things much with BBCSO, which isn't to say that Mac users needed help with RAM. I generally prefer hosting sounds in VEP, but I have only been able to assign one fader to the Spitfire plugin within VEP. Consequently, I have had to just run everything in Logic.

I got a 2500k and 32gb. Any sandy bridge users in the house?

Saw the cpu requirements and I'm wondering what that's based on. Anybody with lower end cpu get some chuggling and at what point regarding mics/instruments?

Like at what point does this old champion of a cpu finally retire?

When I see a reply like this, I am reminded of why I actually follow Spitfire, as opposed to just using their libraries. Both Paul and Christian regularly invite us into their studios, and we feel like we know them. And let's face it, it's almost impossible to not like them. Perhaps because of this perceived relationship with them, some people seem to feel like they have been personally affronted or hoodwinked when something isn't quite the way they think it should be. This has resulted in some rather hateful, nasty comments. I myself am guilty of whipping out a post without fully considering the full impact of the statement. I think everyone does this occasionally. I understand the outrage when you've spent a lot of money for something that doesn't work, but it was clear from the beginning that Spitfire was going to make it work. Until I came to understand just how many configurations there were on the Windows side, I was pretty annoyed myself, and I am a mac user. It had all the appearance of the type of corporate screwing that we've all become accustomed to. And now it is fixed, and we all have a great library. It still needs some work. I find the occasional out of tune note, and the legato on Violin 1 makes Logic go bonkers for reasons that I don't really understand. But in general, aren't we all lucky that there is a Spitfire Audio?

I do think that Spitfire has caused some unintended and unnecessary animosity by allowing people to buy BBCSO on Black Friday at the introductory price and get Aperture Strings. It is hardly fair to the early adopters who put their faith in Spitfire and coughed up the cash. It is kind of a slap in the face. Once the Black Friday sale is complete, it will be very interesting to see how this is handled.
Yes this is sad, is it indeed the case that Aperture Strings comes both with the BBCSO??

As more and more demos come out solely using the BBC SO...I am finding that the cohesiveness truly comes through. It pays to have one solid orchestra, rather than piecing it together. Whether the library itself is faulty or not, the sound it produces as a whole, is great. Makes me want to complete other libraries I have for cohesiveness now.

Dear community, please move it to the right place if this is not the right one. I am having problems with Spitfire Libraries and here I am trying with the BBC. I am using the main legato ext patch, trying to play even notes, then I do quantize them (If I do not it is impossible to play evenly) - I was also trying to change to staccato and it is the same. I was trying to use the CC18 and no luck. I want to play even notes, I am sending you the mp3 what I am getting. I am also sending you the Logic file with 2 tracks, the first one is the quantized one. Please help me as I do not know how to work properly.

Attachments

• WhyTHisIsUneven.mp3
    494.8 KB · Views: 48
  • WhyItIsUneven.zip
    637 KB · Views: 5
With all the holiday traveling, I've been away from my music stuff for quite a while now and my brain is trying to cope.

It occurred to me that I have a few custom EXS24 instruments that I made by warping samples, in the spirit of eDNA and Omnisphere. It also occured to me that instead of dithering about getting Omnisphere or some other quasi-organic textural toolkit, I should just roll some more of my own.

To that end, I'm going to start building a collection of warped sounds based on BBCSO (and probably some EWC). eDNA: BBCSO edition. If I actually follow through, and they don't suck, and it's cool with Spitfire, I'll share them maybe?

Ooh. That sounds cool. I can see Spitfire possibly being a little grumpy about sharing something based on BBCSO, but if they’re ok with it, definitely share them.

Top Bottom